[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have fully unsupervised overtime at $45 an hour and I get to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1484411672664.jpg (519KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1484411672664.jpg
519KB, 1920x1200px
I have fully unsupervised overtime at $45 an hour and I get to put in my number of hours at the end of the month and work alone with nothing to do.

Lately I've just made a point to do an extra hour a day so that at the end of the month I get a nice bonus but seriously how am I supposed to handle this?

I'd live here if it meant getting $45 an hour for Christ's sake, I don't care. I'm trying to do just enough overtime to not get noticed (since I do nothing at my job) but still get that nice raise (it's all based on how much I claim I worked in a computer, which I fill in at the end of the month so nobody can know.)

Am I doing this right? Help?
>>
>>1805365
work alone doing what? you have no deliverables? no time tracking software? you're working from home or at a job site?
>>
>>1805365
you know better than any of us would. if they do not seem like they are catching on keep pushing it little by little.
>>
>>1805365

What exactly are you expected to be doing? Are they really just letting you shit around on the honor system?

The correct answer is to figure out how much you have to half ass your actual work to drag it out into two to three hours.

This way you're not doing nothing, but you're not blatantly stealing.
>>
>>1805379
I work doing next to nothing.

Basically I wait for someone to give me an assignment, which usually takes me like 40 minutes to complete and happens about twice a day at most.

No time tracking software.

Working at a job site.

>>1805380
Ok good point.

>>1805400
Yes.

No you don't understand, in my job whenever you're not working you're expected to be studying for "development" and I can even get paid for working from home and just studying but I obviously can't do just that cause there's a work to do. It's a nice job.

Basically though, I'm given a task for 40 minutes and then I have pretty much the whole day to shit around on 4chan/reddit/whatever.

I work really hard and do a thorough job when I have the work. There just isn't much for me to do so I study finance and browse /biz/.

But the overtime thing is completely unmonitored and I was curious if there's some standard where they'll go "hey, don't do that."
>>
>>1805379
At the end of each week, I simply put in the number of hours I worked that week.

No checking, no system, nothing. I simply write in the number of hours I worked and it gets multiplied by my pay rate.

The reason this is so strange is because I'm being paid hourly from a company which typically pays in just salaries and I'm the only one doing this. Thus it's kind of unmonitored territory but they just say "you'll be paid for any overtime you do."

The reason I'm able to claim any overtime at all is because I get to the office at 9 but don't get any actual work until like 4, and then that work takes about 2 hours if I drag it out, every single day. And I could make it take 3 or 4 hours easily if I wanted to. That all counts as overtime.
>>
>>1805997

What an odd job. I's good there aren't many employees like that in your company otherwise it might just go bankrupt. I'm not criticizing you, I'm sure many executives get payed obscenely more for doing next to nothing.
>>
>>1806003
Well I was brought on as an intern on January 2nd but I've graduated college and there's no end date to my internship, and so after about a month I should be able to become a full-time hire. The work I do complete I get a lot of praise for, so I'm very well-liked I think.

It just bothers me to be in a position where bending truths and pushing limits can make me so much more money.
The same is true for taxes I guess. Those who are meticulous can find ways to legally save thousands but have to be cautious not to be caught even though it isn't really fraud, it's somewhere in between the whole truth and things which can't be checked.

But the same time I'd never speak up or ask for "more rules and regulations" because a. they might realize that I've been kinda pushing it this far and b. it could significantly lower the amount of money I make for the same work.I just wish someone would kind of layout the groundwork about how much overtime I can claim for me.

That's why I'm asking what to do.
>>
>>1805365
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/400-mta-workers-earned-salary-overtime-article-1.2559234

>The overtime king at the MTA last year was Joseph Ruzzo, a Long Island Rail Road track foreman who raked in $231,923 on top of his $101,204 salary — more than tripling his regular pay, according to the records.
>>
>>1806003
Well it's consulting, but it's hard to get in on projects as a newbie that actual, trained consultants are working on, so I do the tasks I'm told and always ask for more.

But anything I do gets billed to the clients. If I claim I worked X hours, the client gets billed for X hours at my rate. But for the most part, my hours are "miscellaneous" and thus nobody but my own company is paying for it. Misc. hours can't be billed to any specific company.

Thus I can put in 7 Misc. hours per day (and almost always do) and 3-4 "client" hours after that. I don't bill the clients for more than I've worked on a task. But that's like 11 hours a day when my base salary is for 7.5 per day. Doing this every day adds up to a much bigger annual pay.

>>1806010
Well yeah, if I could just live here and get paid for it, of course I'd do that. Just sleep in my cubicle knowing I'm getting $45 an hour for it. But that would obviously result in big trouble, so I guess I need something less extreme.
>>
I'm in a similar position as OP. A year ago, I had the same amount of work but was new at this industry so it took me 6 hours to finish the work, and I worked in an office and could fill the rest of the time with other odd shit.

Now, I work from home, and am super efficient at the job that it only takes me 2 or 3 hours total to finish my work. All other time is spent the on chans, reddit, and video games. My bosses realize I have nothing to do most of the day and just had a talk with me yesterday about "do I really want to do this the rest of my life". They need my position, but they hate paying me to do nothing most of the day. How can I better counter his upcoming severance offer and make myself sound more needed to the company?

Btw, I make ~$33k a year and the company is 10 employees and makes $4 mill in revenue each year at about 40% margins (not including salaries or overhead). So my salary is a drop in the bucket.
>>
>>1806009
If I'm reading it right, it sounds like your management and HR just haven't found the time to get you into the system as a salaried employee. They intend to hire you but haven't done the admin work yet.

If it goes on for more than a few months then you should get worried.
>>
>>1806703
I guess, yeah. I mean the boss said when I asked "well, a while back we hired someone full time and it became obvious after a month or 2 that he just didn't belong here, so that's why we brought you on as an 'intern with no end date' but we'll see how it goes" and that was about 6 weeks ago. So it's going well and I have no intention of leaving voluntarily and I've expressed that and how much I like working there so yeah, it's just taking time I guess and the boss is really busy so he doesn't exactly think about me every day or anything.

I asked the secretary what the other guy did that was so bad and she said he basically just wasn't even showing up much but I'm at the office all the time and doing my best for all work I have so I don't think there's a problem. I just have a lot of spare time, which I've emphasized that I'm using to study for professional exams so it should be alright.
>>
>>1806657
I'd be really worried if I heard those words because it's what a boss said at my previous college part-time job before they got rid of me. "Are you sure this is the industry for you? Someone as smart as you might be better suited doing other things if you think about it." and that bullshit.

I don't know what to do though, except the obvious "make yourself useful by asking for more work or inventing things to contribute to the company and giving it," etc. stuff.
>>
Any last advice?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.