[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New time reader to Hayek. Where/when does he elaborate on "when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1478120659199.jpg (250KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1478120659199.jpg
250KB, 1200x1800px
New time reader to Hayek.

Where/when does he elaborate on "when the competition is working effectively"?

He doesn't seem to open it up in RtS
>>
>>1804485
I think road to serfdom is more about how economic planning and by extent control of economic decision making by governments leads to authoritarian regimes and loss of freedom. (as seen in the european nightmares of the 20th century, both on the right and the left.)
>>
>>1804527
Yes it is, a "tract of times" and not an economic paper.

but

I wanted to know in which in his essays or other books he opens up what he means by "effective competition" because I want to compare his understanding to how it is now in EU.

Also where should I go after Hayek if I want to find more about the origins of current state of EU's politics and economics? Preferrably sources that are the influence to its development since the 70s to modern day.
>>
b
>>
b
>>
>>1804485
Yes he does. He talks about how the legal system and government should promote competition. Perhaps you should read more closely.
>>
>>1806364
>>1806364
>the legal system and government should promote competition

Of course, stopping monopolies in general (he leaves room for some, where the competition cannot create the service for a few reasons, like a price cannot be set or the disadvantages to the owner of the capital/production are too large), fight against frauds, or public/secret agreements that'd fuck over the prices/production (against consumer) but what I meant was a practical example or a more elaborated writing on these topics - for example showcasing these principles and ideas as they happened/didn't happen in the Britain during the Labor Party after war for example, a practical use.

Hope I made myself clear. For now I've applied examples from my own country, but I'd gladly read over Hayek's examples.

And do you happen to know the answer to >>1804537 to question in this post? Where to go after Hayek if I want to understand EU's economic policies and infrastructure better?

Good writer, by the way. Easy to understand.
>>
>>1806369
>EU's economic policies and infrastructure better
Are you new to economics? Also it depends how deep you want youer knowledge to be, just basic knowledge of how it functions? probably jus t read one of the books on EU on the subject+possibly a non-conspiracy one about imf/wotld bank/wto. But if you want an in depth understanding, it might take tens of books+ bunch of economics textbooks.
>>
>>1806408
I want in-depth, origin of the ideas level understanding.

Ten books, sure, give me hundred if you need to about the subject. I'm going through basic political & economic authors, but this is the one area to which I want to specialize (learn way more)
>>
>>1806369
I'm not sure if this (https://mises.org/system/tdf/Individualism%20and%20Economic%20Order_4.pdf?file=1&type=document) is what you're looking for, but it's a full PDF of Hayek's Individualism & Economic Order. In the table of contents, a chapter is titled "The Economic Conditions of Interstate Federalism" and begins on page 255 (I don't know if the book's pages and the PDF's pages are in sync, just do a ctrl+f to avoid all the scrolling to find the chapter.

Otherwise, here are some contemporary articles about Hayek's stance on Brexit:

https://iea.org.uk/blog/hayek-would-have-been-a-brexiteer
https://iea.org.uk/blog/hayek-would-have-voted-to-remain
>>
>>1806412
Thanks, I'm gonna check that out.
>>
File: 1410139986602.jpg (2MB, 1345x1450px) Image search: [Google]
1410139986602.jpg
2MB, 1345x1450px
>>1806411
pick books about economics from here that are from 1900+. I wouldnt bother with older because loads of theories are wrong, or half a book is talking about a dispute about 1 dumb moral argument.
+ i dont remember if its on but Greg Mankiw's principles of macro/microeconomics is probably the best intro textbooks

when you have the foundation for understanding basic economic arguments, you can generally read a book about a specific subject(as long as its not total pop economics) and get a good feel about what happened.
Like monetary economics, public choice theory, different industries in the eu, british political system, books on major international organizations etc.

And by no means will you be an expert on the subject by just that,(most economists chose to specialize in 1 or 2 narrow fields for a reason) it will however give you an understanding of the current issues and why politicians do what they do.
>>
>>1806420
Thanks. Lots of new books, mostly looks like being a part of the system (investing and such). Saved for future reference.

I already have Das Kapital and I'm currently reading about the basics of capitalism in order to read through Marx's body of work. I imagine it's good to know properly the subject that Das Kapital criticizes before actually jumping into it.

I don't mean to be an economic expert, I don't even study economics but this is a hobby of history of politics & economy which I find very engaging and fun, everyone has opinion and wants to discuss these things and so do I.

What are your favorite books, related to the vast subject of politics/economy?
>>
>>1806427
My favorite author would I think be thomas sowell. His economic books, like Basic economics and the 2 follow up books( Applied econ and Econ facts and fallacies) and are very very insightful and give you a nice understanding of basics and the general idea why the most efficient outcomes aren't always pursued. His other political books are more from a conservative angle. Other books would be Capitalism and freedom, Myth of a ration voter, Crisis economics. Some statistics books are also very interesting read- like Naked statistics and Signals and the noise.

But like I said, I would't bother with books from before 1900 like Das Kapital because 90% of it is fluff and the rest is arguing from abandoned and wrong economic theories(iron law of wages in this case).

As for Austrian thinkers other than Hayek, I've read a bunch(rothbard mises, ron paul's book) and i would't really recommend them. Because although they sometimes have valid criticism about an issue, they will often argue about how the world should be and adamantly argue that a perfect solution should always be the answer(in their case free market), completely ignoring anything that would be politically achievable and marginally better than today's solution.
>>
>>1806443
That's a nice list of recommendations, fantastic.

>But like I said, I would't bother with books from before 1900 like Das >Kapital because 90% of it is fluff and the rest is arguing from >abandoned and wrong economic theories(iron law of wages in this >case).

My interest for these (and earlier than 20th century literature on politics and economics) is to trace the origin of ideas and the history of the said ideas and observe how they've developed or changed through the course of history, not necessarily picking up a book about ancient Rome in order to apply the economics of that era to modern day.

>argue that a perfect solution should always be the answer
Hayek seems to more on the side of "good enough will do, extremes aren't possible to be maintain nor realistic solutions" - based on the little what I've read of him (Road to Serfdom & The Constitution of Liberty).

Do you have Goodreads/does /biz/ have IRC where they discuss these kind of topics?
>>
>>1806445
>Do you have Goodreads/does /biz/ have IRC where they discuss these kind of topics?
not as far as I know, but if you make an econ thread on /biz/ there will often be a great discussion on the subject
> to trace the origin of ideas and the history of the said ideas and observe how they've developed
Yeah, thats kind of the problem. There are thousands of pages of arguments to go from iron law of wages into utilitarian value to labor into the basic neoclassical model of wages. If it's what interests you be my guest, but I think books about political theory on the matter would more than suffice.
>Hayek seems to more on the side "good enough will do

yeah there are really 2 schools of Austrians, one is mainly hayekian and more moderate, the other are very staunch free market Mises-ian. It's the ladder that I have the problem with.
>>
>>1806420
your forgot rich dad-poor dad by richard kinowasabi
>>
>>1806445
I'm not an Austrian economist, I'm more of a Chicago school monetarist and I'm frankly open to a lot of New Keynesian plans. But if you're looking for literature that belongs to the kind of Hayek aisle, I'd recommend checking out Mises.org's online library. They've got a bunch of Austrian/free market economics books up as PDFs.

Definitely recommending Thomas Sowell. My uncle gave me my first Thomas Sowell book when I was 13 (barbarians inside the gates) and then gave me basic economics when I was 14. Spurred my interest in economics and today I'm double majoring in math and econ, hoping to get into the financial industry.

https://mises.org/library/books

Milton Friedman, in my mind, was the second most influential economist of the 20th century (after Keynes, just by virtue of how much Keynesian thought is still propagated, for better or for worse) and I'd recommend that if you're looking into how economic solutions of today (interest rates, QE, tax cuts, etc.) evolved, look into getting Friedman's "A Monetary History of the United States." Probably my favorite econ book, but I may be a bit biased since I like Friedman.
>>
>>1806506
>I'd recommend that if you're looking into how economic solutions of today (interest rates, QE, tax cuts, etc.) evolved, look into getting Friedman's "A Monetary History of the United States." Probably my favorite econ book, but I may be a bit biased since I like Friedman.
Very nice, thanks. Sounds exactly what I want.
>>
>>1806506
HEEYYYY, we are almost exactly the same except I am not majoring in math, good luck in your career anon
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.