[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a comfortable percentage of your pay that goes to monthly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1481312872135.jpg (90KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1481312872135.jpg
90KB, 1024x768px
What is a comfortable percentage of your pay that goes to monthly expenses?

I'm feeling kind of suffocated now with all my monthly bills. Money is in canadian pesos.
+ $2000 pay a month
- $1350 monthly expenses from ... $500 rent, $450 car insurance, $250 student loan payments, $100 permanent insurance payments, $50 cellphone plan

Gas is not very much since it's only 15km one-way. Perhaps the car is what I should cut off if I want to save money but I really really don't fancy using the bus an hour one-way for 15km.

That leaves me with $650 a month to work around with for gas, eating out, whatever.

Is it acceptable to be only putting 10% ($100 in this case) of my pay into savings or paying off my student loan in bulk?
>>
Instead of cutting something out have you thought about trying to earn more money?
>>
>>1803512
This. Are you working full time? $2,000 a month isn't much.
>>
>>1803512
I just graduated a couple years ago so I'm just about done milking work experience from my current entry-level job. That's definitely something else I'm looking into, and I can probably hope to bump up my pay to $2200-$2400 monthly. Job prospects for newly graduates don't really look great around the Toronto area.
>>
>>1803536
Full-time with plenty of overtime.

$2000 is with 80 hours. Normally I would actually get $1100-$1300 biweekly especially if I work on a stat holiday but the amount of overtime is tiring and not something I want to rely on. Frankly we're underpaid as it is compared to our competitors so I'm definitely not the only one thinking of getting out of here even if it is a full-time permanent job with benefits.
>>
>>1803506

>$450 car insurance

This is your problem.

Sell your car, buy a shitbox (or motorbike), get minimum insurance required.
>>
>>1803506
look for a different car insurance
tailor your car insurance to what fits you
you can adjust the policy settings to lower the price per month. For example, the default can be 250k collision, but if you don't drive on the highway much, then 150k could be better as you tend to get in less serious accidents in town.

Another example, if you don't drive much during the worst traffic hours during the day then you can also lower your return.

I set mine to about 100k because I barely drive and usually in town. Pay about 45 per month.
>>
>>1803506
$450 A MONTH for car insurance?? da fuq
>>
>>1803506
Also you could try shopping around for Cell Phone providers, depending if you want data or not. I spend $15 a month on my cell phone bill have but have no data, which doens't bother me because I am on WiFi at home, work, friends house, and pretty much everywhere I go.
>>
>>1803506
>$450 car insurance
lol what, do you mean car payment plus insurance?
>>
>>1803629
I wouldn't be surprised if that is his just insurance policy. When I left my parents it was 220 bucks a month. I stopped that shit immediately.
>>
>>1803506
>$450 car insurance
Explain this.

I pay $150 a month as a 26 year old male and that's for $100k personal liability, $25k property liability, $2k deductible collision and a few less significant other things. I could easily get it down to less than $100 a month if I wanted to really cheap out on things.

What type of coverage do you have?
>>
File: Me1002.jpg (52KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Me1002.jpg
52KB, 480x360px
>>1803557
Shitbox and insurance confirmed.

Paid 2k and deal with random small car trouble.

Best car o ever had was a 1989 toyota corolla wagon.

You yankee fags got a 4x4 version in canadia. I may litterally take a road trip with cash if u find me a good one... pic related.

Ace #1 shitbox.

Turn right on a slick street and hit 88mph with passenger side 13inch tire.

Never found airplane tires for it. Yet...

Get to work op. Daddy needs a 6 inch lift and 15" swampers so my 300 pound ass can drive it.
>>
>>1803506
why dont you use uber?
>>
>>1803651
Full coverage. $500 deductible with collision and comprehensive. $2 million liability because I am also in Brampton, the insurance fraud capital. I should probably lower the liability to $1 million to maybe drop my insurance down to $300-$400 which is still the norm for a male driver under 25 here. I probably should but I am also scared.

Moving out of this place is one of my goals as well.

honestly i probably shouldn't have a car but not having one in the suburbs makes me feel stranded.
>>
>>1803725
don't be scared by that shit
they talk it up to get more money from you
>>
>>1803731
well I'll go with reducing my coverage a bit as my short-term goal then. It's just a ~$6K mazda3 anyways.

Long-term goal will be to find a higher-paying job somewhere farther from Toronto for cheaper rent and car insurance rates.

thanks /biz/
>>
>>1803614
Welcome to canada, where the government mandates that you must have car insurance then the car insurance companies jack up prices because of this.
>>
>>1803506
Op, read mrmoneymoustache blog. The guy has excellent advice about every part of your expenses. And don't listen to people suggesting you should just earn more. Sure, it helps, but you can blow away any kind of money on stupid shit. Even hollywood stars end up broke. It's the spending that makes all the difference, not the earning.
>>
>>1803536
its pretty normal to us brits

most people have dept to income rates of around 70%, the bulk of that being rent/mortgage payments + taxes
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.