[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-direct -is-better-than-greenlig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 559fd9c86dc88.png (270KB, 492x512px) Image search: [Google]
559fd9c86dc88.png
270KB, 492x512px
http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-direct-is-better-than-greenlight-but-the-size-of-the-fee-will-make-or-break-it/

Valve is trying to "inflate" the cost of video games on their platform by adding a massive pay wall meant to somehow reduce the amount of shovelware.

Invest in video games before its too late.
>>
>>1794732
What, do you mean invest in Valve?
>>
>people winging over 5k
>>
>>1794733
buy video games now and keep them into your inventory, I can guarantee that games already published will suddenly increase in price once the devs have to invest 5k per game just to put the game up on the platform.

Thats before valve starts taking their 30%
>>
>>1794735
5k per game*
>>
This is good. Way too much garbage on Steam. If your game isn't shit, then paying a set amount is better than going through Trashlight. And if your game is shit then the fee will make you think twice about shitting up Steam with it.

>>1794738
Why would the price of existing games increase, that doesn't make sense.
>>
steam has to do this. I can barely find anything on there because there is so much garbage I gotta sift through.
>>
>>1794738
>>1794732
If you think a 5k (refundable even!) fee is a barrier to entry in the land of vidya publishing I don't even know what to say. If your game isn't pulling 50k in revenue it's really not worth your time and effort and if it is worth your time and effort you probably just made shovelware that Valve and its customers don't want on their platform.
>>
>>1794755
Most likely just indie games, games from small studios will increase in price to compensate the new pay wall.

If the studio doesnt have any other product currently on the market, it only makes sense that they will increase the price of the old games to match the price of the new games.

>>1794768
Cant even be bothered to skip the shitty shovelware? You and anyone genuinely complaining about shitty products being available on a market are part of the problem.

Absolutely no one makes you buy stuff you dont like, and hosting a store page for a game doesnt cost $5000 before the game starts making money, at which point valve starts taking a 30% cut.
>>
>>1794755
>If your game isn't shit, then paying a set amount is better than going through Trashlight.

>You can know that a game is going to make money before you release it

t. never marketed anything
>>
>>1794770
5k per game is going to kill the small devs
>>
>>1794776
>I suck at marketing and am poor.
>>
>investing in video games
>implying gen-z will want to play video games while building an archeofuturist utopia
>>
>>1794777
good
fuck them and their shithouse garbage
>>
IM A GAMER, I PLAY GAMES FOR A HOBBY

G A M E R
A
M
E
R
>>
They just need to make it easier for people to filter out all the garbage.

The paywall will stop some of the shovelware but far from all of it. A lot of the garbage being put up have companies behind them that are more than willing to pay a few thousand dollars.
>>
I agree with most posters - this is a good move. Roots out the worst garbage and gets rid of the awful greenlight mechanism. And it's not going to keep any determined dev from submitting a game they have confidence in.

Steam is a commercial giant, if you want indie darlings who can't come up with 5k you don't buy there anyway. Their business model and mandatory DRM sucks, no self-respecting indie dev prefers this platform (if it wasn't for their market dominance and easy revenue streams).

Having said that - OP's idea is nonsensical. It's the most transparent /v/ shitposting made to look like a /biz/ thread in the most lackluster way. And if anyone gives money to people offering to sell them games they have in their inventory, it's their own fault for getting scammed 9 out of 10 times. Any game worth anything is already marketed multi-platform (Steam, GOG, Humble, itchio) and can't just hike their price.
Plus we don't even know the specifics yet.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.