[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was arguing with a friend today about how universities in Britain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: lecture-hall[1].jpg (132KB, 1760x1168px) Image search: [Google]
lecture-hall[1].jpg
132KB, 1760x1168px
I was arguing with a friend today about how universities in Britain should be able to choose their Fee's instead of being capped at 9k, as this would increase competition and allow worse uni's to lower their prices, But he wouldn't accept that it and insisted they would all raise their price to the moon. Who's right here?
>>
>>1790230
If they can survive at their current fees, raising their prices would only hurt business. The only reason costs would increase in this scenario is if services improved.

Also, please elaborate on the U.K. university fee model. What kind of fees are capped? What are these fees for specifically (tuition, lab fees, etc.)? I'm too lazy to Google it so explain yourself.
>>
>>1790243

9k a year is a flat rate that all university students have to pay regardless of the course they are doing. University fees were introduced by the government in the late 90s, It is only they who can decide if they can go up. The 9k per student that a university receives, roughly covers about half of their necessary funding, the university has to find the rest through other sources.
>>
File: 1480918348277.png (20KB, 842x595px) Image search: [Google]
1480918348277.png
20KB, 842x595px
>>1790278
From this, I could determine that the four year cost of U.K. university is 36k pounds or about 45k dollars. In the U.S., from my experience, you could get the first two years at a community college for about 7k total. The last two years at a state school could cost 40k for a grand total of 47k.

The prices are about the same, but it is important to remember that this education path (in the U.S.) is one of the cheaper options. The cost for a four year private university could run up to 200k without financial aid and much less if you are super poor or very meritorious.
>>
>>1790230
All depends on how well regulated it is.
If you don't regulate it at all, you'll end up with an oligopoly that charges exhorbitant prices and a bunch of scam schools bottom-feeding, as your friend more or less described.

Charging more for a higher value degree only works if you provide means-tested relief for poorer students with the grades to get in. Otherwise you're forcing smart kids who happened to be born to poor parents into pursuing a degree that's beneath their talents.
>>
>government sets a ceiling
>government removes the ceiling
Hmmm wonder what would happen.
>>
>>1790404
But it is only 9k because every uni has to charge 9k, a chemical engineering degree from Oxford is worth more than an art degree from Bolton, but to make Oxford able to charge as little as 9k, Bolton has to up the cost of there's to 9K, despite the fact in a free market they clearly would not be able to charge it, because another University would charge less for the art degree and people would want to go there.
>>
>>1790363
For profit schools are always very low quality. Only go to nice public schools or non-profits.

Link to some evidence (Could not find relevant image)
http://info.ipfw.edu/blog/all-colleges-are-not-created-equal-for-profit-vs.-non-profit-schools
>>
>>1790314
>tfw social work major
T-that's a bullshit graph right
>>
File: Updated.png (36KB, 1600x548px) Image search: [Google]
Updated.png
36KB, 1600x548px
>>1790625
Yea. They have an updated version.
>>
>>1790664
Okay now that made me giggle so hard I felt even more stupid than I did looking at the original graph
>>
File: 1483316654730.jpg (138KB, 674x607px) Image search: [Google]
1483316654730.jpg
138KB, 674x607px
>>1790230
you are right. Free markets and competition always works. Your friend must be a raving SJW communist faggot.
>>
>>1790664
kek
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.