[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Hi Guys, I'm 27 from the UK and after years of working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: nebosh-logo.jpg (35KB, 500x538px)
nebosh-logo.jpg
35KB, 500x538px
Hi Guys,

I'm 27 from the UK and after years of working in the Finance and Customer Service sectors I'd like to have a change in career.

My girlfriend works in Human Resources and had suggested the Health and Safety industry as a good one to look into. Decent pay, prospects and pretty process driven.

I've done the research and know that at minimum I need a NEBOSH NGC qualification. Something which is quite daunting if you've not had experience in a Health & Safety role before.

I've booked a REHIS one day introductory course to Health and Safety in March at a local college. Having not had a lot of hands on experience I figured a small introductory course would be a good start.

Assuming the one day course goes well and doesn't put me off. I was then going to look at booking an online course for the NGC.

Just looking to find out if anyone else has done something similar? Or if anyone currently in a Health and Safety role could offer any advice on how best to break into the industry?

Thanks
>>
>>1778997
So you want to be a clipboard prick?
>>
You ever worked on site?
>>
>>1779010
No experience being on a building or construction site.

But have experience working in the manufacturing and warehouse sector. It's this area I'd look at for jobs if I got the NEBOSH NGC. I've got a few contacts and plenty of opportunity in the area I live.

There is an NGC for Construction and Building sites for someone looking to do H&S in that area. Personally I don't want to do H&S in this sector as I haven't any experience on that sort of site.
>>
>>1779146
Its the kind of job people get when theyve taken voluntary redundancy from some kind of industrial production role.

You'll be competing with people who have a nebosh and 28 years experience in the chemical engineering industry.

Good luck tho, sounds boring as FUCK
>>
>>1779206
>sounds boring as FUCK
it really does

OP don't you have any passions or interests in which you can see yourself working? as much as /biz/ is full of shitposters and liars, there is a general sense of entrepreneurialism of people who know better than everyone else and want to go it alone (provided they're given step-by-step instructions).

your idea sounds like a job for someone who is soulless and uninteresting. i get that not everyone can have an interesting life, but you'll be doing this for 40 years, so why not try something exciting first.

reminder that your girlfriend will be against it because she likes the comfort of being boring and the safety of mediocrity. she'll be jealous if you chase your dream because she doesn't have the guts to. if you go for something exciting, it will be the eventual end of your relationship, but that might be a win-win situation, i don't know you though so i can't say.

live a little you sad sack and take the risk. your new mondeo and your two weeks in turkey can wait while you become who you are.
>>
>>1779206
That is partly why I've booked in for a one day intro course. To get a more hands on feel for it and see what's needed for someone to break into the sector. I imagine it is pretty competitive?

>>1779225
I've worked in a job based on an interest/passion before. It was fun at first but the pay, hours and job security were poor. Not everyone is cut out to working in a job that's also their hobby or passion in life.

And not everyone knows what their passion in life is. Do you have a job related to something you're interested in?

I'm certainly not naive about the fact Health and Safety probably isn't the most exciting career choice. But right now I'm just happy to be a sad sack and settle for a decent paid job with prospects which apparently the H&S sector offers...
>>
File: 1467559066157.jpg (3MB, 1800x1322px)
1467559066157.jpg
3MB, 1800x1322px
>>1779482
fair enough mate, was just being the doubles advocate. i do have a job doing what i'm interested in, but it wasn't easy and took a long time and lots of sacrifice, so i get that lots of people aren't willing to do that.

i know a lot of people who just drifted into jobs without thinking and never think of changing, so i was just being contrarian to possibly show something a lot of people don't think about. good luck going forward.
>>
>>1779549
Cheers bud, I appreciate it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.