[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you leverage the situation of having to go to an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: bigguy.jpg (72KB, 760x752px) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.jpg
72KB, 760x752px
How do you leverage the situation of having to go to an okay-tier-school?
>>
>>1773722
Back to flipping burgers, bitch.
>>
>>1773722
Because unless you go to Harvard or Yale or whatever it don't matter
>>
>>1773722
It depends on what field you are in.

Otherwise, get a job with whatever company in your field to gain credentials, then start applying to higher level jobs afterwards. Or utilize your alumni network.

I went to an okay state school and ended up getting a job at a company because the owner and I shared the same alma mater and had a lot to talk about.
>>
>How do you leverage the situation of having average intelligence and skills.
>leverage
That word doesn't mean what you think. You leverage a strength or an advantage. You don't leverage weakness or failings.
>>
I went to a top Ivy League school so I'm in no position to talk about this, I realize. However, I say become an actuary like I did because all you have to do is pass these tests, which are completely self-taught, and you can be an actuary in a top firm making extremely good salaries doing very little work.

I am just starting and it's comfortable, simple, and not a very time consuming job. But I'm a consulting actuary. Anyway, what I'm saying is to go into a field that doesn't care what school you came from. Plenty of excellent careers are like this.

Once you're in, get some starting capital and start investing cause that's where your money will come from. I love having a job which is stable and gives me money to invest with.
>>
>>1773787
give him a break, he goes to a shitty school
>>
>>1773812
What's your salary my dude? And couldn't going to an Ivy League be a factor in getting into a TOP firm?

Thanks for your experience anyway my dude. My ultimate goal is Wall St. But actuary is def my fallback.

t. University of MN
>>
>>1773812
>a top Ivy League school
I'm not sure if this is a case of roleplaying or autism, but no normal person who ever graduated from an Ivy would refer to their alma mater as a "top Ivy League school." There's only eight of them, after all, and they're all pretty good in their respective areas of expertise.

I'd love to hear your ranking system so that I know, for certain, which are the "top" and which are the "lesser" Ivy League schools. All these years I've been pretty smug about my Ivy degree -- and yet I'm about to learn from an actual actuary which Ivy schools truly make the cut.

*fingers crossed*
>>
>>1773871
Ok, since you asked.

I think Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, UPenn are "top" and Dartmouth, Brown, and Cornell are shit. My ranking system goes in that order exactly except I like Yale more than Harvard.

Call me smug that's just the opinion I've had for about 5 years now.

Look I'm mostly joking that the ones at the bottom of my list are the worst, but to some extent I've always seen it that way and I think a lot of people at my university see it that way.

>>1773842
My salary isn't anything to brag about since I just started last month and this is my first job (no internships, only 1 actuarial exam passed when I started so I feel lucky to have been hired) but it's 70k. I graduated this past December.

If you could do Wall street, do that instead of this. But the thing I like about this is how salaries are structured. When you pass an exam, your salary goes up proportionally. There's no ambiguity at all. It's all predetermined and I can know exactly what my salary will be and raise it at my own pace. That I do love. What I don't like is that everything here is 100% independent. I'm in a pretty big cubicle and can't see anybody and hardly have anything to do all day so I just study. It feels like there's no teamwork here, just "freedom." No set hours either, people roll in here at like 10:30 but I'm always here alone from 8:30 - 6:00 because I'm getting paid for overtime despite not doing too much.
>>
>>1774142
Hence why I'm on 4chan at work.
>>
>>1774142
>Columbia, UPenn
>in that order
Said no one, except Columbia grads. Unless you meant alphabetical order.
>>
>>1774142
you make overtime? so youre unsalaried?
>>
>>1774142
Sounds dope bro.
>>
>>1773722
If you plan on working in the region where your school is and the school has a good reputation locally, you should be fine. You'll find a lot of employers in the area who went to your school and like to hire alumni. If you're trying to find a job at a good firm in another area, you're going to have a hard time until you build up some experience.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.