[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this is a good long term safe bet portfolio for retirement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: portfolio.jpg (58KB, 1230x335px) Image search: [Google]
portfolio.jpg
58KB, 1230x335px
is this is a good long term safe bet portfolio for retirement etc? i tried to diversify without being overly complex.

also, would paying a finadvisor do more than this?
>>
>>1771936
>is this is a good long term safe bet portfolio for retirement etc?

Absolutely not. A portfolio with all funds is not diverse enough. You need income generating investments to fund your dentures. Also you need less investments than that, 3 or 4 is really top end. Remember your structural investments such as your house which you have to manage also.

Something like this;

>General Electric common stock
>Raytheon common stock
>Boeing common stock
>one S&P 500 fund
>one bond fund

You need to simplify and future-proof your investments. Find securities and investment vehicles that you would be conformable holding over the next 30 to 50 years.
>>
>>1771969
Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. Everything in this post is stupid.
>>
File: Ice T.jpg (77KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
Ice T.jpg
77KB, 1000x647px
>>1771975
Explain.
>>
>>1771969
>A portfolio with all funds is not diverse enough.
Wrong. A portfolio with all funds can be, and almost always is, highly diverse.
>You need income generating investments to fund your dentures.
Wrong. He's not retiring today.
>Also you need less investments than that, 3 or 4 is really top end.
Wrong. There's no magic to having fewer investments. It depends on your options, your goals, and how you manage your allocation and risk strategy.
>General Electric common stock
>Raytheon common stock
>Boeing common stock
Wrong. Picking single stocks is a losing strategy, proven in study after study.
>one S&P 500 fund
Wrong. Limiting yourself to large-caps is a suboptimal strategy for a young investor.
>one bond fund
Wrong. International bonds provide the same stability as domestic bonds but hedges against local economy interest rate effects.
>You need to simplify and future-proof your investments.
Wrong. There's no such thing as "future proof" investments. You always have to be ready to change things as you get older and as your goals and needs change.

Your post was a steaming pile of garbage, and you should feel bad. I had to waste all this time pointing out all these noob mistakes because you jumped in and gave advice about something when you're clearly an ignorant moron. Fuck you.
>>
>>1772019
>A portfolio with all funds can be, and almost always is, highly diverse.

The securities that those funds own could be diverse, but you don't own those securities. You own a fund which owns those securities, that is a critical difference.

>He's not retiring today.

He needs income generating investments to sustain him through the uncertain, demanding years where he cannot earn money at the normal rate. That means stocks that pay dividends or property he can rent out.

>There's no magic to having fewer investments.

To understand a security takes a lot of work and lot of thinking. You need to know the economy in general, follow world events, understand the sector, understand the companies direct competitors then understand the company itself. All of these are rapidly moving targets.

To responsibly buy and hold common stock in three public companies means coverage of around 10 other companies. That is not practical now and is only going to get worse as time goes on.

>Picking single stocks is a losing strategy
>losing strategy
>strategy

Complete shit.

>limiting yourself to large-caps is a suboptimal strategy

You are assuming there is an optimal strategy. If there was, we would not need a board to discuss the matter.

>International bonds provide the same stability as domestic bonds

I have some Zambian bonds that you might want to buy if you genuinely think that.

>There's no such thing as "future proof" investments.

That is debatable.

>your goals and needs change

Protection of capital, capital appreciation, income. These don't change ever for anyone.
>>
OP if you're young you can afford to take more risk. Aka put the next few thousand dollars you invest into equity funds. Also I wouldn't put more into real estate for a bit. Purely from a sector perspective you dont want to be too concentrated. Pretty good though and I wouldn't worry about a financial advisor.
>>
>>1772019
op here, i really appreciate this post because it pretty much highlights the choices i made in picking the funds i did.

>>1772068
you are wrong though, where did you come up with your current knowledge?

>>1772086
I plan on using this as a base to move my savings out of savings account where it's doing not much. from there i plan to make regular contributions to this and taking a few hundred every quarter to gamble on much higher risk investments.

part of my high investment on reits is because home ownership is not feasible for me based on the current market i live in. theoretically - and correct me if i'm wrong - if i invest the difference between my rent and my 'ownership' payment, i should be come out about even in the same market.
>>
>>1772068
>You own a fund which owns those securities, that is a critical difference.
Wrong.
>He needs income generating investments to sustain him through the uncertain, demanding years where he cannot earn money at the normal rate.
Wrong.
>To understand a security takes a lot of work and lot of thinking.
Wrong.

You are a fuckwit, and I'm not spending any more time on this response or on you at all. Anyone who listens to anything you say deserves the poverty and misery that I assure you will follow. Fuck you, nimrod. Fuck you for shitting up the board and leading innocent people into financial mistakes. Fuck you with a hot poker.
>>
>>1772154
any input on the op?
>>
>>1772354
That isn't Canadian couch potato. Google that, read up a bit, then come back and ask me for my wealthsimple referral code
>>
>>1772354
While I'm extremely familiar with Vanguard's U.S. offerings, I'm not qualified to give you any serious advice about the choices available in Canada.

From a cursory overview, these look like the right kinds of funds. However, to give any specific advice I'd have to research each of these funds and look up their fees, and frankly that's more work than I'm willing to put in. Also, the "% portfolio" column looks weird, so it's hard to really see what your allocation are.

I'd suggest you look into http://www.finiki.org/, which is the Canadian version of bogleheads. You can visit the bogleheads forums too, as many Canadians post there also.
>>
>>1771936
you have over a million CAD in investments? what are you doing on /biz/ rofl
>>
>>1772412
it's a practice account, they give you a mil to play with, this is just what i came up with.

>>1772382
it's not quite CCP because I don't really feel that matches my goals 100%. But I guess I should read up on that. If you do understand the CCP thing then why would you go wealthsimple instead of Questrade?

>>1772384
appreciate your inputs here and will check out your recommendations. the % portfolio column is way out of whack because it's a practice account that gives you millions of funds to play with. anyway thanks for contributing useful shit
>>
>>1771969
> You need income generating investments to fund your dentures.

Kek. This is the best part. But srs u should stop giving advice
>>
>>1772019
Got any studies/literature on large cap vs small/mid cap? Tried doing my own analysis but that came up inconclusive.
>>
>>1773660
I ended up going with wealthsimple because of auto rebalancing and the portfolios they had already. Also peace of mind.

You should double check the funds in your practise account and make sure they're not overlapping anything. Otherwise you'll be overexposed unnecessarily.
>>
>>1774521
>Got any studies/literature on large cap vs small/mid cap?
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/investing/small-cap-value-stocks-1.aspx
https://www.advisorperspectives.com/newsletters14/pdfs/Do_Small_Cap-Value_Stocks_add_Value_in_Retirement_Portfolios.pdf
and the seminal research:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fama%E2%80%93French_three-factor_model
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.