[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on commission only sales jobs? I have an interview for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20160430-134318.png (852KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160430-134318.png
852KB, 1440x2560px
Thoughts on commission only sales jobs? I have an interview for a commission only sales job today and was wondering if /biz/ had any experience with them.
Are they usually a waste of time or is there a real chance to make serious money from them?
>>
>>1769365
what are you selling?
what % of commission is yours?
what is the company's reputation like? (MLM, Vector, etc)
is there any kind of demand for the product in which you are selling?
>>
>>1769374
It's with a company called vivint they specialize in smart home security systems I get $530 for every home I sign up.
>>
>>1769365
My friend is in sales so this is secondhand. When he first started he didn't have many clients and spent all day cold calling basically begging. He ended up being pretty good at it and now 5 years later he is shifting more and more towards commission only. He has a good client base and would be making bank, I think he's around 30% commision. But if he had been like that from the start I think he may have starved for a year or two. So I guess the question is how quick do you think you can land some sales and how well could you survive a few bad months if it doesn't work out right away
>>
>>1769382
are there payment plans available? can you sell to people out of state?
i wouldn't do it as a full time gig but i'd try to set your goal to at least 3 people a month
>>
>>1769394
There's a base plan if your commission is less than what you sell which is like $220 a week.
I'm not sure about selling our of state but I should of mentioned it's mainly door knocking they give you an area and send you there to try and sell to that neighborhood.
>>
>>1769365
>Thoughts on commission only sales jobs?
It's basically work on spec. Sure you can make money, but why would you? Any decent employer should give you a baseline income.

"You do all the work, stick to all my rules and only when I directly benefit I'll give you tiny cut" outlines a business model relying on suckers. They offload all their business risk onto you! Why would you take this deal?

If you're not desperate, I'd pass.

>>1769382
Are you confined to an area or can you sell nation-wide? Can you use their brand and advertise via internet? I guess they won't pay any of your expenses either?
>>
>>1769402
>mainly door knocking they give you an area and send you there to try and sell to that neighborhood

Oh dear fucking god, major red flag. Of course they'll pick the best neighbourhoods for themselves or their buddies and send their free basically volunteer salesforce into the shitty parts of town just on the offchance of a deal.

You cannot influence the odds in your favour, but you have to carry all the risk of failure. This is bullshit, imo.
>>
>>1769402
so you are soliciting then, nah i'd do it once a week at best
especially if you are going to be soliciting during the winter and at a time when most working people are not home

and on top of that you get no kind of base compensation for walking around soliciting for hours

if you MUST take the job, accept to work no more than once a week, other than that i'd try and find a new gig
>>1769404
read >>1769402
>>
>>1769410
i did this kind of work for a while, what they will most likely do is avoid the shitty neighborhoods (only those places that sell energy will sell in those kind of neighborhoods) and only sell in "nice" or affluent parts of town, it's different if it's summer because if people were out mowing their lawns, washing their cars or tending to their houses or w/e you'd have a high chance at getting a sale
but because it's literally the middle of winter right now and people would be at work or it'd be retired people at home doing nothing, you'd be lucky to make at least 1 sale a day

ontop of that i'm sure there will come a point when your team isn't meeting quota and you either get fired or they start pressuring you to work on your sales pitch (which is fine but they don't seem to understand when and how effective solicitations are)
>>
>>1769402
>door knocking
Jesus christ, I hate these fuckers. I wouldn't walk around for free unless you really have nothing else to do with your time
>>
>>1769429
I mean, that would be a good idea. My line of thinking was that such businesses usually have a core sales team employed and a lot of freelancers/agents on top. Naturally they'd take care to reserve the best regions for their core sales force, but that might just be my experience. Maybe they do have a purely external salesforce, but it seems suicidal to me personally.

>get fired
Why? He doesn't cost anything. He gets a suitcase with the good promotional material that he has to return and a stack of cheap leaflets they'd send out anyway. And a direction every week. Unless he misbehaves - you don't exactly have leverage over someone working for free. Or any reason to terminate him since he gives you free exposure and doesn't cost you anything.

But I can see them pressuring OP regardless. Cutthroat assholes be cutthroat assholes. Good point.
>>
If you're a great salesman you can usually make great money.

Worked as a door-to-door salesman with 100% comission a year back. Wasn't for me, so I quit after about 4 months.

But the top salesmen and saleswomen at that company made more than the starting salary for our PM, and the product we sold was a very recognized and trusted brand.
>>
>>1769365
Commission sales job usually suck and this varies depending on what the product is and who the customer is. The higher the commission rate the harder the sale. So if you're going to stick out a commission sales job it may take a couple years to get some traction so you better like the product that you're selling and the customer. Don't get suckered in bye a sales manager who tells you how easy it is and how much money you can make that's normally a red flag that it's just a pain in the ass job. A lot of those type of sales managers are usually looking for naive people to work for them for free. They might give you some good leads but watch how much they promise I was selling insurance and they promised me orphaned accounts and they never made good on all the promises. It's a typical salesman's ploy promise everything and then mop up later stay away from retail customers if you're looking towards sales is the worst type of clients sell business-to-business if possible wholesale if possible but avoid retail unless you own the business. Retailing is extremely thankless. There's a lot of people doing it, the margins can be razor-thin, and there's a huge labor pool. So there's usually a lot of turnover basically cuz the job sucks. Don't waste too much time in a commission sales job if you don't like it if you don't think you're cut out for it then dump it and move on you can't afford to waste your time and they usually don't give a s*** if they waste yours
>>
>>1769365

Commission sales is usually a scam.

It says, "we have no faith in you, but if you succeed, we'll give you a cut".

But sometimes it's a reputable product and you can make good money.

MOST legit sales jobs are salary+commission.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks. Observe the other sales people. If it's shit, get out.
>>
>>1769365
I make 2-3 thousand a week with gambling machines commissions wise. I get paid salary . Don't fall for the idea of salary only jobs.
>>
File: 1476452187909.png (363KB, 424x444px) Image search: [Google]
1476452187909.png
363KB, 424x444px
>>1769365
DAMN!!!
>>
OP here I'm going to an information night about the job in a few hours I'll be keeping what you said in mind will update.
>>
Former d2d salesman here. It was seling Verizon FiOS in NYC. Only lasted a few months. Some people were pulling in $1000+ weekly, needless to say I wasn't.

If you're any good at it, it'll be good money (then again I don't know the demand for Vivint), and sales is the quickest way to work your way up in an organization.

My best advice is learn all you can, go 100 percent, but have a back up in case you fall on your ass hard.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.