[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could I use my knowledge on statistics to make profit on markets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: normal1.jpg (16KB, 576x314px) Image search: [Google]
normal1.jpg
16KB, 576x314px
Could I use my knowledge on statistics to make profit on markets? what more should I know?
>>
insofar as information can predict the future then yes
>>
>>1768645
You should learn some common sense too. That helps to have.
>>
>>1768658

This is actually the tricky part if you don't have it yet
>>
>>1768658
For me this is included in knowing statistics, as you have to know how to deal with data and probability, and take thing very carefully to avoid at any cost reasoning errors.
Sorry, I can't explain myself better, but I mean the kind of stuff you find on books like "Black swan" or "thinking fast and slow", failing on decisions because you followed your guts more than data.
>>
>Muh statistics magic spell

Just buy an index and shut up.
>>
It helps a lot OP, but don't underestimate the pressure.
I would advice to play around with a small amount of cash. Maybe write some algoritm to base your trades on.
If you can confidently trade and you're certain your method works you can expand.
>>
>>1768709
statistically speaking the best course of action
>>
>>1768645
read on option pricing
>>
>>1768709
>>1769504

I don't think there is any magic spell on statistics, I want to know if analisys will lead me somewhere more than just pickin at random. Please elaborate on why buying an index is the best course of action.

>>1769347
When on pressure, I'd stick to data. how much is a small amount of cash? I was already thinking on something like this, I'm not expecting to make big figures overnight (nor ever).

>>1769538
Will do, thanks.
>>
File: George-Costanza-OCBD1.jpg (45KB, 394x370px) Image search: [Google]
George-Costanza-OCBD1.jpg
45KB, 394x370px
>>1768645
meme factor

no matter how much knowledge and education you possess there is always the meme factor,

niggas trippling their portfolios in robin hood general based entirely on memes
>>
You're better off learning accounting and finance, then utilizing your statistics knowledge with the above knowledge. Theoretically statistics can work to predict the market through charting and what not. You're better off looking at cold hard accounting and finance data though, which really gives the picture of a company rather than "buy the dip" because statistically it works most of the time.
>>
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
>>
>>1770050
This is what makes me doubt, it's like no matter how much analisys or forecasting you try to do, because at any moment some unexpected factor overturns the whole thing, and that's fuckin difficult to measure.

>>1770084
added to >>1769538, Will look at it. thanks.

>>1770815
Nice. but I think I heard that before, can't say who was the author.
>>
Trading is a skill that can be learned and developed.

>>1769538
Yeah using option strategies you can create high probability trades. Selling out of the money options at 1 standard deviation on that normal distribution and having a high enough number of occurrences will allow the probabilities to play out and should indeed allow you to be profitable over time. It's a greater probability of success than just having a 50:50 shot on stocks alone.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.