[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats it like being a code monkey? Im tired of being a wagecuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Shadowcasting_(Big_O).jpg (50KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowcasting_(Big_O).jpg
50KB, 300x225px
Whats it like being a code monkey?

Im tired of being a wagecuck and heard they make good money.
>>
>being a code monkey
>making good money

You're fucking retarded and shouldn't be allowed to live
>>
>>1766868
depends, if you freshly come out of uni it's pretty comfy. no big responsibility as every decision you make is second guessed and checked. little freedom to express yourself or get creative but decent pay for a noob and big demand for your work.

after a while it will feel like hell if you are programmer material tho. you will want to step up and if you are good you can.
>>
>>1766875
Should i go to Uni to learn it or from the dozens of free websites that teach it? Or bootcamp.
>>
>>1766986
dunno, i have very bad opinion of what unis provide in terms of coding skills. it's ridiculously bad. but if your would be employers would think the same i can't tell. uni provides you with the ability to learn anything and fast. it gives you something just not marketable coding skills.

bootcamps seem too short to worth a god damn thing. all in all you will learn the most once you start working. try to get an intern position and one where you actually get to do stuff not just push papers or hold doors. even if it's an unpaid internship it will be worth more than anything else.
>>
>>1766986
I would go to community college, and try to get a job off of craigslist

jobs, are better than degrees
>>
>>1767109
>jobs, are better than degrees
agreed but if you are a uni student of the field you might get apprenticeship and through that employment easier.

we are routinely raiding unis for students that are actually good and try to employ them before the finish.
>>
>>1766986
do not bootcamp. i have interviewed zero people from bootcamps that were actually capable of doing anything.

if you go to a bootcamp you'll likely get some connection to be an intern at a large and shitty company.

go to school, learn some shit. do side projects. work your summers at tech companies to get a better understanding of what they want.

> Whats it like being a code monkey?
it's... fine. like >>1766875 said, your responsibilities grow as you get better and it's nice that your pay keeps going up but 90% of places are nightmares. project managers are for the most part incompetent unless you're in a really tech focused industry (i'm in entertainment. management is a joke and all of engineering is constantly frustrated with them).

also, the places where you're going to have good managers (pure eng companies.. think github or reddit or whatever) are going to be cultures where work/life balance isn't respected. i worked for justin.tv before it became twitch.tv as an intern and i was offered a full time position "but what can we do to get you to work longer hours?"

you see, everyone there was working 70~ hour weeks. i said no and walked away because i had a life i wanted to live.

that being said i would 100% recommend learning programming. it's the best way to have job security these days.
>>
>>1767204
>project managers are for the most part incompetent
that has been my experience too. in general they are incredibly useless.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.