[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the 20,000 mean with regards to the Dow Jones stock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: dow.jpg (43KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
dow.jpg
43KB, 720x450px
What does the 20,000 mean with regards to the Dow Jones stock index? pretty new to this stuff
>>
>>1762746

not much. all time high for markets which is nice but inevitable

also remember djia only contains 30 of the biggest bluechips. not the best indicator of the market as a whole.
>>
>>1762750
Im asking what the literal number means
>>
>>1762751
Jack shit.

It's a nice round number. If you like nice round numbers, then it is pretty spiffy. Some people like to set buy or sell triggers at nice round numbers, so when valuations cross that line you will sometimes see more sales volume.
>>
It's a bubble my familia
>>
>>1762751
http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/050115/what-does-dow-jones-industrial-average-measure.asp

"For example, if the DJIA rose by 50 points, it means that the cost of purchasing the 30 stocks in the index was $50 higher than the cost of purchasing those same 30 stocks yesterday, taking into account stock splits and dividends. In other words, those stocks are more valuable today than they were the previous day."
>>
>>1762751
IT'S 12:06!!!!!!!
>>
>>1762746
It's how much a stock of Dow Jones costs, $20,000.
>>
>>1762782

urmm no. stop trolling...

its the total number of different companies operating in the DOW..
>>
>>1762821
Yah, whatever you say moron.

I bought 10 Dows, should be worth double the price within 8 years.
>>
File: price to sales.jpg (111KB, 965x505px) Image search: [Google]
price to sales.jpg
111KB, 965x505px
>>1762746
It means its time to sell. As an old-man investor, I went through the dotcom crash in 2000 and I'm seeing it all again.
The ratio to look at is "Price to Sales" You take the market capitalisation of a company and divide it by the total value of their sales.
What you're trying to discover is whether the shares are expensive when compared to how many sales the business is making.
Dow Jones is now at the same crazy level as the 2000 dotcom bust.
What this means is you DO NOT BUY at this level. You would be wise to sell, but you would be foolish to buy. So the best thing to do is keep your cash on the sidelines (and some in gold) for the next six months to see where the trend takes you.
>>
>>1762838
Yah OP, completely miss the TrumpTrain.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.