[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you hate your career or coice of study. Is the addage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: 1481753179699.jpg (322KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481753179699.jpg
322KB, 800x800px
How many of you hate your career or coice of study.
Is the addage of enjoying what you do being better than money true?
I'm unhappy with my career but I'm making good money and plan to find hapiness while I'm off the clock.
What does /biz/ think?
>>
I actually really enjoy what I'm studying (geology), but can't seem to find a job that I would enjoy while still making decent money. Can't seem to find any answers.
>>
>>1748528
I dislike my job and the hours are 60 hours a week. The overtime is nice but I have no time to enjoy it. Main reason why I trade stocks. I have a baby too so their isn't shit I can do on the weekends for fun either.
>>
>>1748618
Congrats on the child, hopefully things change for your soon.
I take it you would rather trade that overtime money for more free time or is it essential for childcare?
>>
>>1748528
I like my career but hate that the jobs here pay so low and cost of living being so high.
>>
>>1748528
Engineer, should have gone into medicine.
>>
>>1748638
Care to clarify?
I work in medicine and engineering seems like a dream to me.
>>
>>1748528
Chemistry

Should have gone Engineering route
>>
>>1748649
Theres a higher demand for healthcare than engineering. Specifically I have an EE degree which was a mistake.
>>
>>1748688
What makes you believe demand in healthcare is greater than engineering?
>>
>>1748638
Wait one year and doctor salaries will drop thanks to new political administration. Meanwhile tech jobs will always be on a positive trend.
>>
>>1748688
Also you don't have to deal with lying fucking patients who say they don't have HIV and then come in for AIDS treatment after you gave them a flu shot a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>1748695
It cannot be outsourced unlike engineering.
>>
>>1748708
>>1748706
I didn't mean to imply that I believe engineering is in more demand than healthcare, I wanted to hear the reasoning.

They're both very comparable in employment. The'es not much practical difference between 3% unemployment and 5% unemployment.
>>
>>1748708
90% of the it can be automated by a computer tho.
>>
>>1748743
There are few EE jobs. Theres also no lateral mobility because it is too broad and there are too many niches.
>>
>>1748775
I'm sorry to hear about that.
I always hear how EE and ME people can easily transition to software or consulting.
>>
>>1748528
I chose Economics but looking back I wish I'd have chosen Finance although I probably know much more than my Finance peers.

Enjoying what you do is nice because you can grind so much easier. It's hard to stay focused on boring shit but I guess that's where the money is.

I think your plan is good OP.
>>
>>1748743
>The'es not much practical difference between 3% unemployment and 5% unemployment.

that's 2 more people out of every 100. don't go into statistics.
>>
>>1748775
I think if you chose Electrical Engineering you will be able to find a job before the age of 25.

In my case, if I chose a healthcare profession, I would most likely be out of school at around 30 and pay student loans for another couple years before my gross income is significant.

This could mean not earning an income until I'm about 30 to 35 years old. I'm currently employed at 23 with a decent pay and few responsibilities.

Life isn't just about your job and how much you earn.

>>1748802
It also means that out of 100, 3% unemployment means 97 people employed and 5% unemployment means 95 people employed. Practically speaking, job demand between the two scenarios shouldn't be the only factor considered.
>>
i was in computer engineering but dropped cuz i kept failing. now i want to try trading or investing. how fucked am i
>>
>>1748528

>I'm unhappy with my career but I'm making good money and plan to find hapiness while I'm off the clock.

it's hard to be happy when you spend 40 hrs+ a week unhappy
>>
>>1749516
Very if you have no capital
>>
I'm into programming and it's amazing how hard it is for people to switch from their old system of doing it by hand.

>>So you're saying that when I visit this link it will calculate all of our sales
>Yes.
>>Look it takes me over 20 straight hours how can this calculate it all? It's cause you imported all our spreadsheets right?
>YES.
>>So I am going to hit the "email all" button and this will email everyone's pay stubs out?
>YES!!!!!!!!!
>3 days pass
>>So everyone got their stubs and it's all for the correct amount so I can just do this every time?
>YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>4 weeks pass and she still does it by hand
>5th week, she is 3 weeks late on payroll
>>So I'm behind can I just hit that button again with the 3 date ranges and it will do it for me right?
>GEE, I DON'T FUCKING KNOW, WHY NOT TRY IT
>>Ok it looks like I can go home now
When they finally do it, I love providing it but holy hell people are so against change.
>>
>>1749516
Extremely, because you seem like a retard.

Retail might be more your speed.
>>
>>1749541
i have a stable job and about 2k in savings.
>>
>>1748618
>60 hours a week
What?
>>
>>1749542
She knows if she does that every time then her job is toast.
>>
>>1748528
Going to school for comp sci because it seemed like a decent catch all but I don't really like it, I just want to make some really good money really quickly and then fuck off and live like an urchin for the rest of my life. Probably should have gone into finance or something if I wanted that I guess
>>
Im a emt-b in a busy 911 ghetto and about to be a paramedic. I make 9.80 an hour, and will make 13.25 once i become a medic. Its garbage pay but theres unlimited overtime, plenty of downtime to study investing, and the job is interesting to say the least lol.
>>
>>1749542
>>1750817
Pretty much. Read this: http://thedailywtf.com/articles/Classic-WTF-The-Indexer
>>
>>1748629
where?
>>
>>1750991
Vancouver
>>
i applied to comp sci , im an old fag though 27, is it too late?

id be happy with a job that paid 30k after graduating or at least something with room to grow to a higher income
>>
>>1751024
It's not too late if you actually focus.
>>
>>1750814
Whats so confusing about that?
>>
Got a free lunch here for anyone who can make it work

Start a bottled water company, make it know you water contains plenty of electrolytes, the bottle is made from recycled plastic and every dollar earned goes to support x charity

Find a way to source freshwater from a place where it's always snowing but make it obviously sound good to th consumer (the freshest water collected from Mt. X and purifie to perfection)
When you are doing well enough with water, branch out with flavored water, fruit smoothies, juice and other lucrative outlets
>>
>>1751064
Except coke and pepsi already have all that and have all the infrastructure built up as well as recognized brands. Have fun with your shitty water nobody buys or trusts.
>>
>>1751087
>not taking advantage of your competitors biggest weaknesses
>not copying your competitor's business models and improving on them

Enjoy being poor wagecuck
>>
>>1751064
>recycled plastic
boxed water is better
>>
>>1751110
come back to me when you ship your first bottle
>>
>>1751133
>not cutting costs to reduce expenses and widen profit margin
>implying boxed water is better than boxed wine
>>1751144
I never said I'd do it, but it's a free idea for anyone who might want to consider selling bottled water
If you feel like you can do better then by all means anon kun do so
>>
>>1751181
>I'm not going to do my shitty idea but I am not going to admit it's shit either
>>
>>1748528
>Is the addage of enjoying what you do being better than money true?

Probably. My brother loves his job and he earns more than me. He still has his hair and I'm going bald and I'm the younger brother. Should I just kill myself?
>>
>got degree in English
>work as a writer
Not bad, pay is decent, hours are good and job is fun
>>
>>1751221
Do you get to fuck girls over there?
>>
>>1751222
No, but I did once bring a girl back from a bar to my office and fucked here there
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.