[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright yall, I need some legal advice: 5 years ago I rented

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Lawandorder01.jpg (163KB, 1024x578px) Image search: [Google]
Lawandorder01.jpg
163KB, 1024x578px
Alright yall, I need some legal advice:

5 years ago I rented an apartment from this girl. She owned the condo and rented me out a guest room. I put down a $500 deposit and paid my rent the first of every month. I was the perfect tenant, and I've never had an issue renting in my life.

Well she started a little crazy, and got crazier and crazier. I said fuck this and moved out. I was current on rent and left my room clean. Moved all my shit in 2 days.

Well she sent me all these legal talk emails that I owed her 2 months rent (I was supposed to give 60 days notice via the lease agreement) that she was gonna sue me, plus interest. The whole situation is so fucking insane, she demanded I pay her $2000. I think she was on meth. I even left her my deposit $ and a washer and dryer. I just wanted to be gone.

Well today I get a letter from the magistrate court where she lives, that I have a civil action against me, there is a "peremptory calendar" that I have to show up for.

I was just gonna say fuck all this, and not even go. I never even recieved a subpoena!

What do?
>>
>>1746406
Should have read your lease, faggit.

Whatever you signed can and will be enforced if she wants to take it to small claims.
>>
>>1746442

Well that's what I was afraid of, but I was told that by law you can break a lease agreement and leave if the landlord's environment is unliveable, and believe me, the environment was unliveable.
>>
>>1746462
You neglected to do that, though. You simply reneged on your contract.

Hope you have large amounts of documentation to show it was "unlivable." To show you have made complaints. To show you attempted to negotiate. Otherwise you lose. And all of her filing costs get added to the damages. And that sum collects interest. And she can keep on your ass to recover for a decade. And she can garnish your paycheck directly if she can find out where you are employed. And you pay the filing costs getting your own checks garnished.

Work out a payment plan with her, or give her proper notice and move back in. You're paying for the room either way. Maybe then you can document the harassment and bring a case back against her if she loses her mind about it.

>ps. you're going to lose.
>>
>>1746462
You'll have to prove that to the court. You broke a contract, you're at fault there bud.
>>
>>1746552

I'm guessing my word is not proof enough?

Also, I thought courts were biased in favor of tennants, not landlords?
>>
>>1746563

yikes, good luck pal

next time; before you sign something, make sure you can live with the terms
>>
>>1746563
>I'm guessing my word is not proof enough?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>>1746406
>Am I liable for breaking a legal contract? Those arent actually enforcable, right?
>>
>>1746563
kek

Enjoy losing in court. You better hope you can resolve this out of court still
>>
Okay, one more question, let's say I don't show up to court and she gets a default judgement against me, can a warrant be issued for my arrest for not showing up to court?
>>
>>1746406
>I was just gonna say fuck all this, and not even go.

This is by far the worst move you could make. This will lead to a default judgment against you. *Always* show up in court, no matter what.

Is she represented? Then you should lawyer up as well if you don't plan on going "no contest".

How much are we talking about? What's actually 2 months of rent? Is it really 2k? Then at least have the part you paid thrown out as soon as possible (the 500 bucks deposit and the machines you gave her).

So what's actually the termination clause in the contract? 60 days notice is true? Seems fairly standard. But does it have to be a written notice? If it has to be, you're fucked because you never sent her one. If oral counts, you have some wiggle room.

Ideally you twist it to where you two mutually agreed you may move out immediately. As long as she was on board at the time, the written contract doesn't mean shit. Problem is, that's not what happened and lying to a court can really fuck you over, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Now here's another out, but it would heavily depend on your local laws. Maybe she got so crazy that you had to immediately terminate? There's usually some kind of provision for emergencies where one party just has to get the fuck out of there and is still fully justified. I only know it from the other side - like if your tenant turns out to be a pyromaniac and threatens to set the building on fire, you have to get him out *now* and fuck the 60 days of notice.

You fucked up. You had a contract and just walked out on a whim. If you want the troubles to go away, pay her off. If you want to make a stand, lawyer up. But whatever you do, at least show up.
>>
If she truly is a meth addict she's fishing for money. Offer her 500$ for her trouble and get done with this shit. If she says no, tell her you don't really care about the money and will fight her in court/delay the process at the max and she'll end up on the curb before she sees a $. Chances are she's dead in 2 years anyway
>>
>>1746951

thx mate
>>
This sort of thing can widely vary from one jurisdiction to another. You wont get a good answer from /biz/, but you don't need a lawyer either, find out what the landlord/tenant rules are in your area. We need much more information to give you a good answer here.
>>
States/Provinces have landlord/tenant legislation, and this will usually supercede any private contract, although it gets a bit iffy when you are renting a room in a residence

Bumping for interest
>>
>>1746406
Sounds like you fucked up. You just left and assumed she would be fine with you breaking your lease because you left your deposit amount. Be a grown up and call her and try to negotiate something. You can't just skip out on contractual obligations. If you can get away with just paying her like $1,000 to resolve the whole thing (including getting her to sign something to say you guys are settled and she's not going to sue you), you're probably better off than trying to deal with the court shit. She'd probably rather have a simpler resolution than going to court too.
>>
File: slob.jpg (54KB, 552x368px) Image search: [Google]
slob.jpg
54KB, 552x368px
It should be a lesson learned to anyone reading this thread. Do not get involved with roommates or single-room rentals. Nothing but horseshit will result.
>>
>>1747207

She's insane and money hungry.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.