[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got accepted to med school with zero debt from my undergrad.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: BatistaDC1938.jpg (70KB, 720x453px) Image search: [Google]
BatistaDC1938.jpg
70KB, 720x453px
Just got accepted to med school with zero debt from my undergrad. How poor of a financial decision am I making by choosing to go?
>>
>>1734352

Physician route is a long path, but if you like what you do, then it'll be an enjoyable career path with some ups and downs, and the nice perk of an above average to very high salary depending on your profession. Good luck. Quick question, what is your tuition rate?
>>
>>1734396
I don't know what you mean by tuition rate but the cost over four years is ~170k
>>
>>1734405

I was just asking of cost per semester, but that works too. Are you in the USA? If so, is this an out of state or in state school?
>>
>>1734409
In state, I have yet to apply for any scholarships and have no idea if I qualify for any financial aid.
>>
>>1734418

Who knows, but if you have scholarships, just mass apply for as many as you can. I know med schools sometimes have a little section dedicated that if you fill out their form, it puts you in the pool for all scholarships they are affiliated with. If you don't mind me asking, which school did you get into?
>>
>>1734426
Buffalo
>>
>>1734433
Hey good job man! Either way, being a doctor is still a good financial decision. The salary, as you know, wildly depends on your specialty and years of experience, and that makes a difference in regards to how doctors report their satisfaction level, but at the end of the day, as long as you finish everything, you'll come out ok. Best of luck anon.
>>
>>1734445
Thanks man.
>>
I'm in a similar position OP. Been really deliberating on whether or not I should pull the trigger, trying to ignore sunk costs. I think doing any other career is always going to make me think about what if medicine though so I'm going through with it. It'll pay itself off.
>>
>>1734352
For you, yes, because 170K is really nothing compared to 200K+ yearly. You can pay it off and still live quite comfortably in a few years. Even if after taxes by some buttfuckery, I am not an accountant obviously, you only had 100K after taxes you could still put in 50K and after interest it made a 35K dent. It'd pay off in less than 5.7 years.

I think the 'med school isn't worth it' meme comes from far worse situations than yours, if someone needs 300K debt, they have to live like a librarian for 10 years and thats pretty gay.
>>
>>1734502
Where have you gotten accepted?
>>
>>1734523

Don't want to be too specific, but a school in the south and one in the Midwest. Will prob be around 200-240k in debt.
>>
>>1734352
wear your scrubs everywhere and you'll have to fight to keep the pussy off of you.
>>
>>1734606
congrats
>>1734661
I plan on nabbing a girl in my class
>>
Have a few doctors in my family but otherwise clueless about med school.

Just make sure you specialize in something good. General physicians, pediatricians, etc. Are all slowly being replaced by nurse practitioners.

I'm not saying you need to become a surgeon or something, but specialize in something. Being a -ist is better than a -ian.
>>
>>1734352
i haven't talked to too many doctors that think it was the best choice for them, or that would recommend it for their children tbqhwy OP
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.