[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people even advertise? When I look at advertisements whether

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Why do people even advertise? When I look at advertisements whether it be from the Internet, a billboard, TV, etc my mind filters it out and I pay no attention to it. Do most people even pay attention to it?
>>
>>1718617
because it does influence you subconciously. even if you don't buy the product you're being trained that
>buying stuff is good
>>
>>1718617
I've always understood it as

"You're not the center of the universe, faggot"

Because if you think about it, advertisement works to some degree. Just because you aren't affected by it, you're implying why would anyone be affected. Yet you see people buy the on seen on tv stuff, the Jordan 5lave XIII's being announced and people rage that they need it,

Just because you dont enjoy it or even care, is because you're not the target audience. People have seen stuff like Jackass, back in its day, and went out and copied it; yet, you're not the one who got influenced.

Advertisement works in certain areas, specific target groups and situations. Think outside of you being relevant to the materials shown and you'll understand more.

oh, another example. Penis enlargement or dietary pills. You wouldn't use them, but i bet you someone somewhere is buying them.
>>
Geeh, should I buy these VR glasses of some unknown brand or Facebooks Occultist Rifts? mMmm
>>
>>1718617
when you need something you're going to be more likely to buy from the companies you're already aware of.

Some advertising is aimed at making you want something you've never heard of, but the vast majority is just keeping a company or product name in your short little memory bank. So when you need one you know where to look.

with brick and mortar stores it may just be to get you in the door. they know once you're in the building you'll remember other shit you need.
>>
>>1718617

> filter it out

that's what you think. Try reading an article on advertising and the subconscious.

Repetition is the foundation of selection.
>>
Ive always wondered this to. Ive literally never bought something after seeing an ad and thinking I want that.
>>
if you're talking about branding, like billboards or TV commercials, >>1718698 is correct. Coca Cola is the world's most recognizable brand; no one on the planet who is a potential customer is unaware of it. But they still go out of their way and spend a lot of money to make those Christmas ads with the polar bears. They give you a wholesome feeling about Coca Cola, and when the holidays come around, people think warmly about those ads, and when they want a soda, Coca Cola -- not Pepsi -- and that warm feeling associated with the polar bear ads is at the forefront of their minds. And companies like Walgreens will build a pharmacy at a busy intersection, 4 blocks away from another Walgreens store, knowing it'll never be as busy, may even lose money because it's redundant. But it's worth its existence to give people more familiarity than taking their prescriptions to CVS.

But beyond branding, these kinds of things aren't always the most efficient use of adspend. The concept you described of "filtering out" ads is called banner blindness when talking about websites, but I think it existed in real life long before that term was coined. The number of ads people in the US see on a daily basis has grown from like xxxx in the 70s to xxxx today (I forget the numbers). However, it depends on how much you're paying based on how targeted your ads are: if you know your demographic and who buys what you're selling, and you know they all hang out in some particular place, it may be a perfect connect; you'll never notice ads for car insurance until you need car insurance, then those billboards and commercials suddenly have a veil lifted from them.
>>
>>1718653
/thread

Some people like OP and I are not susceptible, but the vast majority still is.

I can still recall certain catchy TV ads from my childhood before I stopped watching TV 10 years ago. Ads work if they flood you with them. Online it's different. You skip the skippables and mute the unskippables. You block or close ads without even picking up the brand, you ignore banners. But it requires a certain mindset that's not very common. If there's a half-naked lady in the thumbnail, the title is in all caps or the title is sensationalist ("you won't believe", "best ever", "top 10") I refuse to click it, because fuck that. I know they're trying to manipulate me and I won't have it. Their article or video can't be interesting enough to overcome this stubborness. Yet, those articles and videos have millions of views. The techniques described above obviously work, otherwise people would stop doing them. Why would there still be "this horny lady lives 4 miles from you - meet her now!" ads if people didn't click them? Online ads give you brilliant data, you can see all the impressions, clicks and conversions. Nobody would run ineffective ads. If you're wise to them or even averse to them you can't extrapolate your personal mindset to the general population. Ads very obviously work.
>>
>>1718617
>>1718721
I never in my life clicked an ad. For me clicking an ad meant free viruses.

If you want advertisement to work then you need to put some effort into it: videos, campaigns, etc. not just a shitty pop-up ad or a billboard.
>>
>>1718617
It still seeps into your mind. One day you might be buying a car or a pizza or something and without realizing it certain brands will be closer to the top of your list of preferences. You won't have put them there.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.