[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I remove media from my life so I can focus on my career?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1466236767086.png (124KB, 616x725px) Image search: [Google]
1466236767086.png
124KB, 616x725px
How do I remove media from my life so I can focus on my career?

I work a nice part time job making 45k a year and I'm getting back to school so I know gaming has to be set aside somewhat.

There's no way I could quit cold turkey though, I'm too much of a gamer and I have way too much fun on Steam. Plus I was raised on them so I have a bit of ADHD.

What would be a reasonable limit so I can mainly focus on studying and making more money? I'm thinking maybe just playing on weekends or perhaps an hour a day.
>>
>>1711008
45k a year only part time is pretty good dude. Why would you want to slave away full time when your already making bank and have more freedom than the average wage cuck?
>>
>>1711021
Well I'm going to school for web design. So I could keep working the job I'm at now and then eventually do web work from home on the side. not exactly wageslaving.

Plus I want to have kids and a house. Which is hard to do on 45k.
>>
File: IMG_0842.png (94KB, 1224x868px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0842.png
94KB, 1224x868px
Find a different hobby. Lifting weights, play an instrument, read.
Or get a hobby you can monetize like woodworking.

You'll always have to have a hobby its just better to find a more beneficial one.
>>
>>1711031
Sounds to me like your about to make alot of bad decisions but do what you want.

Also web dev is easy to learn. You don't have to go to college and get into debt for that. Theres code academies you can attend.
>>
>>1711064
All the prereqs are finished and it's community college so overall tuition costs will only be around 10k. I need guidance, if I try to learn it all online I will give up.
>>
Live in your car.
>>
>>1711008
>playing video games
When will man children learn?
>>
>>1711008
If you absolutely have to use the internet, I suggest a program called "Cold Turkey". Now the free version blocks websites that you can add to that are usually culprits in distracting people. Now you said steam so I assume it's downloaded onto your computer already. The paid version allows you to block applications for

however long you want.

Or (What I did) take the steam shortcut and remove it from your home screen. That way it still is downloaded but it isn't as tempting to click and browse it.

Hope this helps!
>>
>>1711008
stop playing video games. theyre a worthless time sink. do something else, preferrably with others
>>
>>1711031
sounds like you shoudnt had kids and bought a smaller house
>>
>>1711008
also what jobs makes 45k+ part time? thats my cuck fulltime yes man job earns me
>>
>>1711031
>he wants to throw away literal happiness to marry a roastie who'll take half his shit and his kids, leaving him even more lonely than he was before
>>
>>1711705
>>1711694
>>1711686

she's filipina, and not raised in the west plus fully catholic. I trust her with my life, we would never get divorced.

>>1711684
no

>>1711694
I work for my dads pest control company.
>>
>>1713359
>trusting a female with your life
>investing in the most volatile stock with your live

faggots like you should be banned from trading
>>
out of curiosity what games you play the most?
>>
Holy shit it's the dad's pest control company faggot fucking again.
>>
>>1711008
I was in a similar situation where I spend too much time playing vidya. All conscious decisions to quit didn't work out for me in the end. I still went back to playing after a while.

But now I don't game anymore. What happened was that I found a nice gf and realised there are more important things than short term fun, and now pursuing these things is actually more fun to me than playing videogames.
I still spend most of my time on the computer tho, but that's the nature of my job. But these days, it's more fun to watch or follow a software tutorial than to game. It's more fun to actually use the computer productively.
I still play a game now and then, but I get bored of it pretty quick. But I also realized that gaming is a usefull outlet to relieve stress. So sometimes if I'm overwhelmed by work or had a really hard week, I will spend a day or two just fucking around in various games.

TL;DR: realize what's important to you and achieving that might become more fun than gaming and you will not do it as much all naturally. Also realize that gaming isn't necessarily bad and you can still have a good time now and then. Relaxing is very important, just don't let it get in the way of achievement.

It also helped me to read Trumps 'the art of the deal', but any book like this will probably work. I realized how much potential I was wasting and just got really motivated to change
>>
>>1714860
Also, if your dad owns a company, try and get involved.

Videogames are so addictive because they give you a purpose (not irl but in the game) and reward you for working towards that purpose. All games work like this.

But if you can find a stronger purpose irl, you will not even want to play games anymore because suddenly it seems ridiculous. I get that especially now when trying to play an RPG. I'm like 'why the fuck should I do that? Collet your own quest items and kill the fucking goblins yourself, I got more important shit to do'.

My dad has an architecture firm and I just used to build models for them. But then I got more involved and now I got my own start up doing visualisation for his office. Win win, and suddenly, playing games is just not worth my time.

You can also try out various apps to help manage your time. There are apps, for example, that ask what you've been doing everytime you unlock your phone and track that. It will feel a lot better to answer 'working' instead of 'gaming'.
Other apps help in forming good habits and losing bad ones. You could set the app to ask you everyday if you have played less than 2 hours of vidya, and track your progress. Eventually you will stop playing just to not break your streak.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.