[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/bros I need help with what associates degree I should pursue.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1466181565699.png (46KB, 194x182px) Image search: [Google]
1466181565699.png
46KB, 194x182px
/biz/bros I need help with what associates degree I should pursue.

I already have a part time job working in the family business bringing in a nice 55k a year but I want to start a family soon and need a bit of extras money.

What is the best degree with the least amount of hours or that I can work from home in? I'm thinking comp sci.
>>
>>1686886
Biochemistry/BioEngineering

Computer science is a huge meme, don't fall for it.
>>
>>1686915
Is that something I could do from home in my spare time? Why not comp sci or web design?
>>
>>1686919
Web design is an okay side hustle, if you get old people interested in getting a hip website or social media network for their job, but that you can do on your own time tbdesu

It's just more interesting, and something you can definitely use. You can build shit, and tutor people, and write shit, and make money off of stupid kids on the internet who need either homework done, or some tutoring online.
>>
>>1686919
>>1686936
The reason Compsci doesn't work, I forgot to add, is that it's useless to major in if you want to do anything from home. No actual software developing company worth two shits will hire someone to work from home, so you'd be stuck doing stuff that doesn't even require a degree if you want to do CompSci stuff from home.

You can learn that on your own time, it's really not hard.
>>
>>1686940
I'm not the other guy but can you elaborate on CompSci, I'm in the first year now and I already feel like I'm being memed. Our modules are Java development, Mobile development, Mathematics and Systems design/databases.
Is it actually hard to get a job once you graduate, or would I be better beefing up my github and making "le personal projects" while I still can?
>>
>>1686915
this is a bachelors or higher. Don't think you can get an associates for this one.
>>
>>1686915
>computer science is a meme

lol enjoying my $110k starting salary here in northern California. Graduated last year.
>>
>>1686919

web design isnt even a real degree that any decent college offers. Some have certificate programs, but you can learn it all on your own.
>>
>>1687000
CS isn't a meme, you just have to not be retarded. Networking is still important to get a well paying job. Do an internship your junior year with a good company, make a good impression. I was offered a job before I even graduated.
>>
>>1686886
An associate's degree is not going to help you make more than 55k. You are better off at your family company unless you actually want to do something more serious than an AA or AS. You would be better served studying Khan academy and building a portfolio at github
>>
>>1687047
I already have all the prereqs finished. I may as well finish it since It's only $10 grand in the end.
>>
>>1687024
>>1687028

CS is a meme. It has jobs, and high paying jobs at that, but you're usually locked into a strict contract working for a giant, for the big bucks, and it's not something you can do from home. From Washington state here, so there're a lot of companies looking for CS majors like Amazon or Microsoft that pay lots, but it's a degree for brainlets, and you essentially lose your soul afterwards.
>>
>>1687024
>norcal

you should considering a 2 bedroom house is probably close to a million bucks
>>
>>1687054
so web design would be my best bet then?
>>
>>1687060
Yeah, if you want to make a quick buck.
>>
>>1687054
>it's a degree for brainlets

What makes you say that? With all the abstract, theoretical math concepts that are thought in CS, why do you think it's a degree for brainlets?
>>
>>1687148
It's a comparative thing. Typically you don't go any further than Linear Algebra with regards to CS, and the maths involved even with LA are basic as fuck.

It's a practical degree, not an intellectual degree.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.