[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a double major in applied math and economics at Stony

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I'm a double major in applied math and economics at Stony Brook uni. I don't really know what I want to do but I know it's in finance and I want to make money out of undergrad.

Long term I want to do quant finance but recently I've been thinking, should I got to grad school after undergrad? My biggest concern is how to make money while a grad student, and how much prestige and possible salary it will add on.

Thoughts?
>>
fucking creepy ass picture wtf
>>
>>1686119
I can't wait until he goes to prison
>>
>>1686119
First - If you don't have an internship, fucking get one.

Second - Graduate school is almost necessary to get any well-paying job in the finance/banking sector. Get an MBA if you don't know what you want to do.

Third - Are you still not getting an internship? FUCKING GET ONE
>>
>>1686149
I got to second round at Millennium Management and they said no :/

After that I've applied to a lot of places but nothing back yet, really bummed out about it
>>
>>1686149
This guy has the right idea. MBAs just don't get the job done anymore in the quant field though. You need a PhD and even then the job is not promised as there are so many PhDs working on Wall St now. Study your ass off and study shit besides finance that actually interests you and you'll be more likely to get picked up by a firm.
>>
>>1686156
All you have to do is keep applying.

I know this sounds fucking obvious/stupid. But EVERY university has a career center, especially the business schools under those universities.

Those career centers only exist to get you an internship.

That's their only purpose.

fucking use them.
>>
>>1686163
Yea the first round was on campus through the career center, but the only other big one that came was morgan stanley

Maybe they'll have some good ones in the spring
>>
>>1686165
You're one of the first "I'm a business major what do" posters on here that hasn't made me want to stab a bitch, thank you.

Just keep trying for those internships, and in the meantime start figuring out what you want to do for a career.

If you have the room for it, get a minor in something you enjoy. It won't do much for your desirability, but it does wonders for making you stand out a bit more than your peers. (Vast majority of business majors lately only have their cookie-cutter degree to work off of)

(Make sure you aren't just focused on a big name internship by the way, any work experience is a great thing in today's market.)
Any ideas what type of graduate work you'd like to do? Now is the time to figure that out so you can start looking into what careers you can get.

(Monetary Economics Masters student here, Finance/Economics major)
>>
>>1686165
Also keep this in mind if you end up not being able to find work in the field of finance, "Those who can't do, teach."
>>
Ayyyyy stony brook represent. I'm going into finance there also soon. How are your classes. Also. Major in math and be super good at and get a job at Renaissance. Jim Simons always hires math spergs from SB
>>
>>1686119
I majored in Math + Econ in Albany
Thia guy is right >>1686149 get an internship
Hard for me to get a job without any experience
>>
>>1686119
go be an actuary

take tests

make 150K
>>
>>1687330
Actuarial math is fucking difficult though, enjoy wanting to kill yourself studying for those tests/getting a degree
>>
>>1687335
I go to William & Mary (Virginia state school) and am a Finance major...given the school and the Finance, should I go for Mathematics, Comp Sci, or Spanish as a second major?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.