[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CS and ABSOLUTE meme? I'm going to college soon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3288.jpg (80KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3288.jpg
80KB, 640x640px
Is CS and ABSOLUTE meme?

I'm going to college soon and I want to go into either Political Science or Computer Science. How much money is there to be made in politics? Is CS worth it?
>>
>>1675661
It's the most likely of majors to be useful in 10 years.
>>
>>1675669
You don't need a degree to program. There's no special license or certification you need that requires a degree to take the test like accounting or medicine or teaching. Computer science is a meme. You can teach any competent person how to code in a few months. Big companies would rather hire normal human beings how to code than somebody autistic enough to complete a computer science degree.

T. Software developer with a GED
>>
>>1675661
Political Science: almost no chance to make any money.

Computer Science: decent chance to make some money.
>>
>>1675661
i'm about to graduate with a CS degree and already have a 6 figure job waiting for me
>>
>>1675682
There's more to software development that just programming
>>
>>1675682
the test you are talking about is called a job interview and unless you have a large portfolio (most do not) then degree is your foot in the door.
>>
>>1675764
survivor bias

>>1675893
You need a portfolio even with a degree buddy, if you don't have one then you aren't getting a job period.
>>
>>1675682
lol

CS is a meme OP. Don't look further.
>>
File: pupper.jpg (142KB, 917x960px)
pupper.jpg
142KB, 917x960px
>>1675661
No, at least not yet.
Any degree where someone tells you "OMG I got an offer for 100k+ before I even graduated teehee" will be a meme by the time you graduate.
I fell for that with mechanical and aerospace engineering.
In the five years it took me to get my degree the labor market got flooded with new engineers all wanting the big paycheck.
It ultimately drove all wages down by the time I graduated.
While I was eventually able to nepotism my way into something decent, starting pay was nowhere near as advertised.

That being said, poli sci is a liberal arts degree.
All liberal arts degrees are worthless.
>inb4 some butthurt women studies major coping with "B-but STEM is a meme"
>>
>>1675661
I have a CS degree
I have a full-stack software development position a month after graduation

It's not a meme, go for it. But don't expect to get a job if literally all you do is attend classes for 4 years.
>>
>>1675949
What do you think about Finance Compsci dual major?
>>
>>1675949
>Full stack

Shit, isn't that a pain in the ass?

>>1675661
Ignore the people that say it doesn't matter, it does. Can you get a job without the degree? Sure, but it's much less likely. Not to mention, university programs will usually include internships that get you a relatively easy job that you can put on your resume for later. Unless you can't afford it, I'd get the degree.
>>
>>1675903
>You need a portfolio even with a degree buddy, if you don't have one then you aren't getting a job period.
I got a $65k starting job with a CS degree and no portfolio. A degree cab definitely get your foot in the door at many places.
>>
>>1675682
Companies that hire 'normal' people to do their coding will be sorely disappointed. They will produce shit quality that will need to be rewritten at the first RFC. They will also get bored quickly with software development and burn out or quit.
>>
>>1675903
I have maybe 4-5 CS that went college route and 1 that didn't. Guess which one had a portfolio and which ones didn't
>>
>>1676015
>Shit, isn't that a pain in the ass?

Nah, it's actually a lot of fun, but like everything in the CS field it comes down to personal preference.

It also improves your expertise in many different languages, which can be vital knowledge in this field.

>>1676012
To be honest I don't know anything about Finance majors, but I'm sure you'll benefit a lot from the dual major.
>>
Go for the pol sci degree anon. You can be the boss or the employee. Pol sci always becomes the boss. pol sci -> management at anything -> grad school anything is a common path to CEO and big dollars. Comp sci is a fad and wages will fall rapidly in a few years. Pol sci is for running people, not running keyboards.
>>
>>1676012
If you want to work in Finance it is actually a great idea imo, and something I wish I did.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.