[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

21 year old dude with a BSc in physics, graduated top of my class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (325KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
325KB, 1920x1200px
21 year old dude with a BSc in physics, graduated top of my class with close to all A's from a very prestigious university but I've decided I don't want to continue with physics for various reasons. What would be my best bet for getting /biz/? I've considered going into computer engineering with some finance/econ classes mixed in there. I've heard that tons of employers love physicists who can program, better yet physicists who also actually are proper computer/software engineers. Also I assume a mild background in finance/econ wouldn't hurt.

Ultimately I'd like to be an entrepreneur and I think my unique background in physics and (potentially) software development would be perfect for that. Any ideas? Or should I consider something completely different?
>inb4 trades
Also I should say that I already know a fair bit of programming through my physics degree and more importantly I've been doing a lot of programming in my spare time for a couple of years now.
>>
>>1667487
Software + math skills + statistics
That kinda skillset should get you a pretty sweet paycheck in a lot of different industries?
>>
>>1667487
if you're really that smart you wouldn't be asking for advice on a slovakian sex slave board
>>
File: 1478726771084.jpg (37KB, 621x672px) Image search: [Google]
1478726771084.jpg
37KB, 621x672px
>>1667495
>hurr smart people are so smart they don't ever have to discuss anything

Only a dumb person would believe the lone wolf genius stereotype is in any way representative of most people in the 140+ IQ range. I guess by your logic Einstein isn't a genius because he discussed relativity with his peers. Fuck off.
>>
>>1667488
Yeah this is kinda what I'm thinking of doing; I'm going to have quite a few "open slots" for courses if I take a computer eng degree because of my physics degree (mainly I will be excused from all undergraduate math and physics courses) and I'll either be filling these with econ/finance stuff or more advanced math, in particular statistics and numeral analysis.
>>
>>1667501
>hurr smart people are so smart they don't ever have to discuss anything

Smart people discuss with real people in real life. Not to anonymous strangers on an australian didgeridoo throat singing board.
>>
>Ultimately I'd like to be an entrepreneur and I think my unique background in physics and (potentially) software development would be perfect for that.

yeah you can be a physics programmer or a graphics engineer
>>
>>1667501
If you come here for an advice instead of shitposting, you have already failed.
>>
>>1667503
Concentrate on stats.
If you get a good reputation for statistical analysis the world is your oyster in almost any field.
(Throw in some codeing knowhow and your 200K mid career)
>>
>>1667552
how would you know what smart people do? you're to stupid to know what we do in our free time
>>
>>1667487
If you got top grades at a truly elite institution and are actually clueful, it might be worth your while to try to get a job as a quant on Wall Street, work there a few years making as much money as you can, and then resigning to pursue what you really want. Just be aware that some people go to Wall Street and eventually find themselves unable to walk away from the money, assuming they have what it takes to make it.
>>
>>1667487
I got my BSc in phyiscs with grades half as good as yours. If I could do it again I would have taken more computer / programming courses.

I had no problem getting a soulless high-paying finance job. I would not waste time taking college courses for that. The math is not complicated at all and you can learn the gist of it from Wikipedia. Better to learn from your job and get paid. Moneyman experience is valuable in any job or biz.

I also had no problem getting a tech job calibrating multimeters in the field. There is a lot of field work for physics if you get tired of office jobs. All the guys who measure radiation have physics degrees. There is room for entrepreneurship there as well.

Currently I work for JMTC in europe setting up VBS3 simulations. The pay is less but I basically play ArmA2 all day. There is A LOT of money going to BI Studios for this simulator. They won the contract, so thats one way to get /biz/. This is why I say get as much practical computer/programming knowledge as you can while you're paying for your education. I had to learn it on my own time. I never once used any of the abstract math I learned in quant mech or linear alg.

I never had any luck with engineering jobs. They say oh but youre not an """engineer""". Aside from that I think you can literally do anything with that degree. hope that helps
>>
Get MS/PhD in whatever you want to do. CS, Finance, Stats, whatever
>>
>>1669062
I've changed my mind. Kill yourself dickhead.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.