[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work at a downtown hardware store and we are doing bad on sales.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1481387165014.png (426KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1481387165014.png
426KB, 620x670px
I work at a downtown hardware store and we are doing bad on sales. Our boss is too busy to ever visit, so he never gets to give us coworkers advice. My manager is very lazy and forgets things a lot due to age. I want to see us succeed but I am not sure how to. Our store is 3 miles away from Lowes and Home Depot.

We sell 1.5k on average when it should be 2k avg. I help customers as much as I can but it just doesn't seem like it helps. Any advice on what I should do?
>>
try r9k
>>
>>1663807
Why? Because I work retail?
>>
>>1663806
I used to manage this pizza hut that lost money every other year. Like it would profit $100k one year and lose $150k the next. Overall down.

Eventually I asked the boss what's up, why do we keep the doors open when the thing obviously sucks? Turns out it was a tax write-off for the owner to offset his huge profits from his other stores.

I don't have any advice for your store except maybe sales or coupons. But perhaps you're doing just fine and don't know it. Maybe the boss owns the property and makes his moneh that way? Maybe he intends to lose money? Maybe he rents the building to himself so he's making money you don't know of? Hard to say.
>>
>>1663812
We have sales, but we are still "too expensive" even wih the prices. We cannot switch shipment companies either, so we are stuck with what we get shipped.
>>
>>1663812
Thank you for the info, by the way.
>>
>>1663831
You're welcome. If it's any comfort the big box stores are losing sales to online retailers so everyone is getting screwed. I don't know your boss's motives but perhaps there's something not obvious going on.
>>
>>1663812
That's something I never understood...

So you lose 150k, you write it off but you don't get $150,000 back, not even close. I'm the end, would you have more money if you DIDN'T lose the 150k.. no matter what the fuck you're paying in taxes. I don't fucking get it.
>>
i would find it hard to give a shit being a sales associate at a mom and pop hardware store and it's very unlikely you will be able to change that much at your position. I would be looking at opportunities to advance yourself rather than keeping a sinking ship treading water.
>>
>>1663921
Because it's not true what he said. Profiting 100k in one year and down 150k the next is serious red flags. I've been in the pizza business for 10 years now. And sales are consistently up YOY.
>>
>>1663921
We also lie to employees about costs and as owners try to make it look like we are doing poorly all the time. Keeps raises down.
>>
>>1663921
>would you have more money if you DIDN'T lose the 150k.
making more money isn't always the goal. My boss was just paying off the real estate so he could sell the thing. So the profits didn't actually reflect his real gains. He could lose money and still put $50k or more into the building and land.
>>>1663958
>sales are consistently up YOY.
yep, that'll never change, right? kek
>We also lie to employees about costs
I was running the store, if anyone was in a position to lie it was me, not the owner.
>>
>>1663815
Do you sell niche things? Try putting your inventory online and hiring a google PLA and SEM contractor. Online ecommerce for these things is really picking up.
>>
>>1663960
Aren't the annual reports for your business available to the public?
>>
>>1663987
See, that's the thing; all of our customers want their items right away ASAP. I tell them we can order an item, but 95% of them say no and just go to Lowes because they can get it instantly.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.