[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much money do you realistically need to retire early in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 3d4bc84.jpg (21KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
3d4bc84.jpg
21KB, 370x370px
How much money do you realistically need to retire early in the United States as a single frugal man? Say I have $500k in some sort of investment portfolio. From what I've read online, 3-4% a year is what is considered to be a safe withdrawal rate, so let's say 3% to be safe or $1250/month. Would that be enough to cover healthcare, rent, food, internet, electricity + utilities, phone, etc... in some town that isn't utter shit? If not, what would you say is the minimum?
>>
>>1663339
you don't need money to retire poor in the US.

you can get free housing, electricity, heat, phone, food stamps, Medicaid.

Or if you really want comfort and privacy just murder someone.
>>
So you're asking us what your living expenses will be? I have no idea. Where do you want to live? What kind of food do you want to eat?

If you already understand investing and how safe withdrawal rate factors into it, then there's nothing /biz/ can help you with. How much you need is up to you.
>>
>>1663339

It all depends on where you live. Most people's biggest expense is their home. The average home price in CA is a lot higher than it is in say GA. You can buy a very nice house for around $100k in some states. If you buy a house for $100k and have simple expenses, you can easily retire for less than $500k. The idea of a safe withdrawal rate is incorrect as you may already know. A secure retirement is highly dependent on the market's performance in your first few years of retirement, so if you are frugal in the early years, you can actually increase your withdrawal rate as time goes on.
>>
$500k.

If you wanna live in a tiny little spot and never be able to do much of anything.

$1 million to be comfortable, and $2 million to be very comfortable.
>>
>>1663389
This. Figure out what your living expenses are and it's easy math to determine your min investment
>>
>>1663339
Absolute minimal near-hobo tier retirement will be like 10k/mo. That's if you live in an RV and live in a WalMart parking lot or national forest with enough to eat okay and have internet and like insurance.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.