[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /biz/ I have a question. Let's say you've developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1479466261250.jpg (118KB, 907x696px) Image search: [Google]
1479466261250.jpg
118KB, 907x696px
hey /biz/

I have a question.

Let's say you've developed a video game (think MMORPG) that pulls around 600000 USD a year.

Your demographic is 90% male and 10% female, mostly ranging from 16 to 32 years old.

Community is not extremely big when compared to huge hitters MMOs/RPGs. Everyone kind of knows each other as the game is very interactive and words travel fast if something goes down.

Some semi-big YouTubers play your game from time to time, but rarely record it.

You have created a system where all YouTubers get revenue from every player they refer. But it's not launched yet and nobody but developers know about it, your final meeting before launch is tomorrow.

---
Would you feel pissed off (from players perspective) that some YouTuber is earning quite a bit of money in-front of your eyes?

What would you suggest to other developers to consider before launching this system?

How would you minimize the amount of angry players? (People under 21 hate the idea of your company making money, even tho all paid features are available for free.).
>>
Launch the feature for everyone.

The cashback potential of your average player will be negligible, but you still get the growth of people promoting the game.
>>
>>1656855
We will launch it for everyone, anyone will be able to apply.

When I say YouTubers I mean anyone with YouTube channel can apply, kind of missed that, sorry.

I'm really concerned about giant lash-back (THEY WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY INSTEAD OF FIXING BUGS) from our younger audience.
>>
Why have the youtube limitation?
>>
File: 1479488400610.jpg (63KB, 622x521px) Image search: [Google]
1479488400610.jpg
63KB, 622x521px
>>1656861
Huge majority of traffic comes from YouTube. I believe we do support other sources (ie bloggers). It really does work for anyone. I just call it "YouTubers system" as we get about 95% traffic from YouTubers, other 5% don't convert to money very well as older people know how to read & generally are good enough to get everything for free. Promising money where there aren't any is something we try to avoid. But we do indeed support all sorts of quality traffic.
>>
>>1656853
>What would you suggest to other developers to consider before launching this system?
What do you mean 'other developers'? You mean for other publishers, or the other developers on the team of this specific game?

>How would you minimize the amount of angry players?
We'll you've already fucked up by launching this tomorrow. This is where you need to build a "dialogue" with the community. Actually, you're framing future press releases so they receive them positively. You trickle feed them the information so they get acclimatized to it, but also so you can let your arguments sink in that this is a good move for the community.

Another idea is the old "Take a mile, give back all but an inch"/New Coke approach. You make an announcement, oh, I dunno, you're gonna charge for the game. Players outraged naturally. Within 24 hours you come back "hey guys sorry about that. We heard your criticism, and we won't charge/do-unpopular-thing" and then kind of slip in under the radar this referral program.
But if done poorly it can really backfire big time.
>>
im pissed off daily that youtubers make a living playing games while I make the same while getting no money
>>
>>1656884
I know all that.

You're overthinking it tho, and underestimating intelligence of average person.

We're not some kind of cheesy 2016 politically correct company, quite the opposite really. We don't go back with decisions & apologize for something that is good. Everything we do is in company+player interest, whether they know it or not. I didn't mention it yet but our game is free to play, everything that is premium can be obtain by free to play users. We don't even filter hip words like nigger. People who don't like our chat alone- generally go away within minutes.

Thanks for the input anyway. <3

>>1656941
Can you be more specific, what exactly do you have about YouTubers? I'm really curious about people like you.

Have you tried doing it yourself?

Is it: little effort + lots of fun + huge reward type of thing?

Would love to hear more insight from you.
>>
File: CxzD9eWW8AEhJ_b.jpg (118KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CxzD9eWW8AEhJ_b.jpg
118KB, 1200x1200px
gamers are going to complain no matter fucking what so just do it
>>
>>1657052
I'm aware of that. Takes some time to get used to. :)

It's still nice to minimize the amount of crying.
>>
>>1656853
Sounds like a really good plan. People will complain but of course what you're gaining from the system far outweighs any complaints you might get as I'm sure you already know. No one is going to quit because of this and for the most part people who complain about updates like this aren't being that serious, people think it's funny to bitch about anything that's getting implemented and especially if it's not a beneficial update for them. As far as minimizing the anger you could remind your players that incentivizing content creation for your game is beneficial for everyone because they get more user created content to enjoy, it also advertises the game which will further populate the game and raise capital for the developers which can be used for more content updates. Also it's not like creating a referral system takes away resources from developing things in the game (people will say "they could of been making a new quest/raid but instead we get this BS"). You said that anyone with a youtube channel can apply, this is good to minimize anger, emphasize that this is an opportunity for anyone who plays the game to ""possibly"" make money for doing so.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.