[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I just got a job as a Financial Data Analyst. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1374883323637.jpg (261KB, 1326x860px) Image search: [Google]
1374883323637.jpg
261KB, 1326x860px
Hey guys,

I just got a job as a Financial Data Analyst. I'm in school F/T and going to be aiming for a Master's degree in Machine Learning (or maybe an MBA). I want to get a job as a Quant because I really like math and programming and working for a well-funded department has always been a dream of mine. I'm at kind of an Ivy League school, it's one of the top public schools in the nation, but ofc I know that if I want to do anything "too big" I kind of need one of the big four and lots of daddy's money.

But I'd like to work for a good company like Jane Street or Goldman Sachs regardless. Does anyone here have any work experience as a quant and want to tell me how you landed your job? What kind of degree do you have? I'm trying to network, but most of my friends only have good jobs with programming companies- (IBM, Google, Microsoft) so that networking kind of didn't work. I guess I could aim for working at google, but I've idealized high level investment positions so much since all the depictions of the investment sector look full of rich people who just use drugs and fuck all day (which I know is exaggerated but they wouldn't build that stereotype for no reason.)
>>
>>1653927
Jane Street would be insanely cool.
I'm about to graduate undergrad with cs and I applied to a few quant firms. I made it to some interview rounds but they were looking for people with more experience/masters
So you sound like you're on the right track getting the masters. Hell, look at Berkeley's FE program. Also start working on your own. Start playing around with your own algo strats.

There are a lot of smaller firms in chicago that do quant work so look there. It'd be easier to get your foot in the door with them. Do well there and then start applying to places like jane street after you've kicked ass for 2 years or so.
>>
>>1653957

I did live in Chicago for a short while, now I'm in Northern California (mostly trying to git gud at programming.) Chicago was where I got my Econ degree and I did KIND OF work with the mercantile exchange, but that internship really sucked because they didn't want to pay me.
>>
>>1653927
>I'm at kind of an Ivy League school, it's one of the top public schools in the nation,
Why does people at sub-par schools always say they are at a public ivy or a "kinda ivy" when it's just not. The Ivy League is a defined set of schools. It's not a ranking or anything. Stop saying shit about how you are almost an Ivy. Just say you go to a good school, there are plenty of them.
>>
>>1653971

Sorry, I didn't know this was a sensitive subject for you.
>>
>>1653981
More of a tip than anything. Plenty of non ivy schools give you more prestige, particularly in your field, than dartmouth or brown, lmao

Just say you're at a good school or say which school
>>
>>1653985

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to express it was good but not Ivy-league. Not that I think Ivy League is the end-all, but most companies will be hiring from them because they recognize the name and heard it was good (even if the school sucks.)
>>
>>1654014
That's not the case for quantitative fields.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.