[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"millennials" are more interested in ~experiences~

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1411647687065.png (996KB, 750x598px) Image search: [Google]
1411647687065.png
996KB, 750x598px
>"millennials" are more interested in ~experiences~ than things
When will this pathetic meme end?
Have the global tourism/service industries not recovered enough since the financial crisis, that they have to gaslight this idea into their heads?
Have they decided that since American millennials don't have enough disposable income to blow on shitty papier mache houses in flyover suburbs, Honda Odyssey's, or expensive weddings, they have to be able to sell them the next most expensive thing?
>>
>>1652479
dunno. I travel a lot and I never see millennials anywhere. I assume they're hiding in basements or trendy internet cafes somewhere. Plotting to gentrify some unsuspecting neighborhood or other.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 477x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 477x465px
I wouldnt call it a meme. it is somewhat true...not everything is a marketing conspiracy.

that isnt to say things arent important. safety, comfort, health is important. but wasteful luxury, like rolex watches is what is disappearing. millenials are seeing the facade of value those things posture
>>
>>1652483
>but wasteful luxury, like rolex watches is what is disappearing. millenials are seeing the facade of value those things posture
You can say this about every generation, though. Most people can't and never will be able to afford a Rolex.

Go to any military base and the newly enlisted shitheads will still be wasting their paychecks on garbage like leased Ford mustangs that will get repoed sooner or later.
>>
>>1652487
yes you're correct there are shitheads in every generation. but we're talking macrotrends here
>>
>>1652493
But not even boomers really indulged in wasteful luxury spending, at least when they couldn't really afford it. I really don't see a trend here. Inter-generational trends are less apparent than you think.
>>
>>1652493
Part of it is wishful thinking. Boomers and X have had a chance to try material possessions and experiences both and usually found more satisfaction with experiences. So we hope our kids see things the way we do.

There's also forgetfulness. We forget that we started off broke also and then try to explain in our aging little heads why our kids' generation is so broke. The real answer is quite a bit simpler- it takes time to figure out how to make money.
>>
millenials can't afford things because they start their careers with five figures of debt, shitty job prospects and crushing housing costs. experiences=escapism from this, more or less. but this is not a fully accurate assessment because many millenials choose inexpensive experiences over expensive things
>>
>>1652487
>You can say this about every generation, though. Most people can't and never will be able to afford a Rolex.
That's not the point. The point is fewer millennials will choose to buy a Rolex if they can afford it.
>>
>>1652730
>fewer millennials will choose to buy a Rolex if they can afford it.
You'd hope so. The thing was outdated before their parents were born. Be like buying a mahogany horse carriage.
>>
>>1652483
its way past wasteful luxury

if they can't sell mortgages and car loans they're fucked, and to sell it as an experience they'd be missing out on would be the only way to do it, JUST like what was done with college

>muh college experience
>>
>>1652508

Dotcom crash? 2008 housing crash?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.