[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/, I don't go on here too often but I got a question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1478574563712.png (12KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478574563712.png
12KB, 640x640px
Hey /biz/,

I don't go on here too often but I got a question. Im 19 and I recently had a realization that college might not be for me.

My plan was originally going earn a computer science degree and go from there but after taking some classes I'm starting to have second thoughts. My dad works in real estate and he's been doing it ever since I was a wee lad so he would make a great mentor.

You guys think I should forget about college and follow my dad's footsteps and become an agent?
>>
Are you a good salesman?
>>
>>1649339
ask your dad
>>
>>1649342
No experience. I graduated high school in may.
>>
>>1649345
If you don't see the sales that happen everyday, I'd guess you're not.
>>
Is your daddy paying for college? If he is you might as well go.
>>
>>1649348
Yeah but I don't want to disappoint my parents when ever I fail classes. Makes me feel like shit.
>>
>>1649349
Well really only one class which is math.
>>
>>1649349
>Makes me feel like shit.
you're an adult now, your feelings no longer matter.
>>
>>1649339
As somebody who fucked around for 6 years getting 2 degrees and a boatload of debt only to end up in an entry level job in a completely different field, let me tell you that college is a huge waste of money and more importantly time - the prime years of your young adulthood - if it's not right for you.

Please don't think of college as the "thing to do" simply because of peer pressure, societal expectation, and the overstated earning prospects advertised by colleges that are run for profit. Think in terms of goals - what is your desired outcome, what steps will take you there - and if college isn't a necessary step, cut it out.

The great thing is that you can do college at any stage of your life if your needs require it or if your plans change down the line. In fact there are many advantages to being a mature student.

Decide what you want to do, OP. Not sure? Then get some experience of various sectors. Your dad's business would be a great place to start. Godspeed.
>>
>>1649356
>>1649339

Depends on the person. If he wants to go into auditing or accounting then he'll need at least a bachelor's degree. Especially when you need a bachelor's degree in business just to take the CPA exam. You want to become an engineer? Bachelors. You don't need a degree to program, so if that was your intention with the CS degree then just forget about it. You can learn on your own and create your own projects that you can show to employers.

>As somebody who fucked around for 6 years getting 2 degrees and a boatload of debt only to end up in an entry level job in a completely different field, let me tell you that college is a huge waste of money and more importantly time - the prime years of your young adulthood - if it's not right for you.

Seems like you had no direction and just got any degree. What degrees did you get? It's only a waste of time if you don't have a real goal when in college. That's why I am a firm believer that people who are 17+ should either work for a while or go to community college that way they find out what they really want to do while collecting little to zero debt.
>>
>>1649365
The degrees were in physics and teaching. Both things I thought I wanted to do at the time, but in hindsight would have benefited from more planning and experience.

I enrolled in the physics degree when I was 18 and was literally just hoping for the best, I.e. I'll see what career options present themselves, take it as it comes, etc. It didn't end well.

The teaching was done at the age of 25 with a clearer end goal in sight (become a fkin teacher, what else) but in retrospect I didn't consider all the life-draining challenges inherent to it. In total I worked with kids and in schools for 8 years and it was a rewarding experience (no pedo) that I don't regret, but the vast majority of that could have been done without a bachelor's.

I agree with both your points, 1) you should get a degree if it's necessary for your goals and 2) taking a couple of years to "find yourself" and figure out what the hell you want in life before committing time and money is a smart idea.
>>
Switch to some business classes.
>>
Fucking YES. Your dad will probably support you and mentor you. You got ez mode. GZ.
>>
File: 1479489676387.jpg (579KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479489676387.jpg
579KB, 1080x1080px
OP, find a nice job that can be easily automated. That way when you job gets automated, we can all laugh at you.
>>
>>1649378
>>1649365
>>1649356
Not OP, but in a similar situation. Just want to say thanks for the insight. It's nice when you stumble upon the 1% of 4chan posts that aren't useless garbage.

:^)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.