[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much money do I need just to play video games all day? Assume

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Life Goal.jpg (49KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
Life Goal.jpg
49KB, 620x413px
How much money do I need just to play video games all day? Assume of course that you are living on your own and assume no girlfriend, trips, or anything else to get inbetween your games. Also assume the gaming habit is very cheap, like maybe $30 a month because of piracy.
>>
This is just too inspirational
>>
>>1649169
If you want the 2.5 kids, and 3 car suburban life then make your own thread.
>>
Depends. What kind of food do you want to be able to afford? What kind of place to do you want to live in? Etc etc.

I think you can do it on 15k a year if you live very frugally. 20-25k a year if you want some comfyness.
>>
How about living in your parents' basement? It's cheaper than living on your own and hopefully your parents provide you with food. If you live in the U.S. you can even claim that you have a mental disability and then benefit from the social care
>>
>>1649166
I'd say about $40k/yr if you live in a city, $30k more rural
>>
>>1649169
this, you cuck: >>1649171

>>1649212
>>1649217
>>1649218
I don't think OP is asking literally how much money it costs per year, but how much money he needs to be able to just live that lifestyle.

Basically, OP, you need to figure out what your total yearly expenses are/will be. Everything; rent, utilities, food, insurance, phone, internet, games, car maintenance, all of it. Take that amount of money (probably somewhere between $10,000 and $25,000), multiply it by 25, and that's the amount you need invested to passively cover all your living expenses.

That's it. 25 times your yearly expenses invested in an S&P500 or total market ETF, something like Vanguard's VOO (S&P500) or VTI (total US market).

So, for example, if your yearly expenses were $20,000 total, you'd need $500,000 invested to permanently live on passive income (that 25x number includes inflation adjustment).

>What does the 25 number mean?
That comes from the average rate of return you can expect from the stock market. Over the past 100+ years, it's averaged 7% yearly gains, inflation averages 3%, so you're left with 4% "real" gains every year. That means you can take out 4% every year, while maintaining the same earning potential. So to figure out how much need invested to earn, say, $20,000 a year, you divide it by 4%, which is the same as multiplying by 25. These are averages, of course; some years the market performs better, sometimes worse, but over the long run this is what you can expect. Which means you need to be able to rough it through tough market conditions by reducing your expenses or earning more money.

That's the long and short of it. This article details exactly what I'm talking about here, and exactly what you want to accomplish, arguably in an easier-to-understand way: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

The rest of his website is worth checking out as well. Click through the links in that article.
>>
>>1649372
For reference, I live in Phoenix and (if I were completely living on my own) I could probably get my living expenses down to somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 a year. You can use a website like Mint.com to find the exact amount: you add all your accounts (checking accounts, credit cards, etc) to mint, they download all your transactions, and you can see your spending over time (in addition to a ton of other information).

Here's the tl;dr
>figure out how much money you spend in a year
>multiply that amount by 25 (it'll probably between $400k - $600k)
>invest this new amount in VOO or VTI (stock tickers, google them)
>congratulations, you can now live on dividends and gains, no need to work
>literally play video games all day
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.