[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist are fucking screwed. If you are so cursed as to be born

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1480270552289.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1480270552289.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
Artist are fucking screwed. If you are so cursed as to be born with a creative mind, you almost guaranteed to be living in poverty for your entire life. Everyone knows you can't do shit with an art degree. At this point it's a piece of paper damning you to a life of minimum wage working as a barista at Starbucks. But the problem is, a better tomorrow is directly dependent upon the ideas of the artists and innovators of today. If the structure of government and society as a whole pushes all those creative fuckers into a corner, then who will be left to design the future? Accountants? Doctors? Fucking businessmen? Give me a break.

Creativity is being blackballed, and while it's not going to come back and bite us in the ass anytime soon, we are actively limiting our collective potential if you cut out the idea guys.
>>
what a dumb post
>>
Wow! What an absolutely unique post that no one has thought of before!
>>
>>1641980
I somewhat agree, arts are not appreciated enough nowadays (I'm in stem btw). There is a lot of value to things being beautiful and easily workable.
>>
>not practicing your art until you excel at it
>not realizing most people start dirt poor in their jobs
>not realizing society will be post-scarcity soon, then people can focus on art, philosophy, etc. without worrying about being poor
>>
>>1641996
What a dumb reply
>>
Arts were only intended to be studied by those of the upper classes, because they had family money to rely on for their education. This includes arts subjects like Economics, Politics, Philosophy, Law, etc.

The sciences were to be studied by the poor to be able to provide for their family and be bread winners.

Something changed and now it's flipped, the rich study the sciences and the poor study the arts, I do not know why it has become so, but it is so.

Now the arts studies keep people poor due to lack of financial backing, but the science studies make people richer because of technological advancements and our dependence on them.

The people who have financial backing and study arts, they'll be the thinkers of the future, the philosophers, the next Plato's and Aristotles. Those who studied arts without the financial backing will become peasants.

Those who studied sciences will work with those who studied arts and have money, to rule the working class in the future, because of the knowledge of humans that the arts majors hold, using the technological advancements that the science majors bring.

Utopia basically
>>
>>1641980
>Everyone knows you can't do shit with an art degree. At this point it's a piece of paper damning you to a life of minimum wage working as a barista at Starbucks.
Hate to burst your victim complex bubble buuuuuut...
>Stalin. Started out as a poet. a.... fucking... poet.
>Mike Ovitz. Got his degree in "theater, film and television"
>Steve Jobs. Went to a Liberal Arts college... dropped out
>Jimmy Page. Majored in fine arts... dropped out
>Ted Turner. Majored in the classics
>Carl Ichan. Studied philosophical Empiricism.
>Tom Ford. Studied Architecture. Turned Gucci into a billion dollar company.
>Jay-Z, Sean Combs, Dr. Dre... all got their start in hip-hop, and now successful entrepreneurs in their own right

You're not defined by your degree. However, you can use, say... the art history you learned in a MFA to give you insight into market trends or mass psychology pertinent to business strategy, or maybe the narrative and presentation techniques you learned in a theater degree to learn how to present and sell a product.

If you achieve nothing with your art degree: that's your fault.
>>
>>1641980
I thought I was on /i/ when I read this.
Where is your startup brah
>>
>>1642070

Basically this.

Arts degrees are also the fourth (maybe 3rd) most popular degrees for Investment Bankers.

Can also be useful for Consulting, especially on historic projects, or for pharmaceuticals, or for marketing departments.
>>
File: 1451103353120.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1451103353120.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>1642081
>/i/
Well that exists
>>
>>1641980
>a better tomorrow is directly dependent upon the ideas of the artists
False
>a better tomorrow is directly dependent upon the ideas of the innovators of today
True. Since, you know, the actual innovators are in STEM.

>who will be left to design the future?
Scientists, engineers, programmers.

>>1641996
/thread
>>
If you want to be an artist, you first have to make money.
>>
You should always be determined to use your skills to make it profitable. Cut the 'I le want to save the world' bullshit, you either make bank or die out of starvation. It's basic human instinct
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.