[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do firearms ever go down in value, assuming they aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: CZ-75Bss.jpg (65KB, 639x459px) Image search: [Google]
CZ-75Bss.jpg
65KB, 639x459px
Do firearms ever go down in value, assuming they aren't some banned/import restricted thing? For example, do Glock 19's, Beretta 92FS, and 1911 handguns ever lose value assuming the owner took care of it?

Is owning several firearms financially not a bad idea? I see so many people with these collections of like 10 handguns, 5 shotguns, 8 rifles or whatever, and I just think "that looks pretty ridiculous, he probably shoots one per month if that" but then I think whether or not they ever lost their value. Do guns lose value like a car off the lot or anything like that?
>>
Who wants a gen 2 Glock that was mass produced?
>>
>>1639871
Collecting guns is no different from collecting video games or barbie dolls.

Most of them are mass produced which means they probably won't increase in value very much. Those that will are a crap shoot: weird serial numbers, factory errors, prototypes, shit that was so unpopular it created scarcity, etc.

You're better off investing in Walmart and McDonald's, because at least they pay dividends, rather than investing in toys and twenty years from now hoping the Pawn Stars won't low ball you an offer on your fantastic Smurf collection.
>>
The basic laws of supply/demand apply. It gets sticky when you throw in factors like import restrictions that may or may not change, and whatever the current political climate may be.
Guns typically get more expensive when Democrats and liberals get elected, the logic there being that they would be more likely to legislate stricter gun laws, and the government cannot take what you already own (which in and of itself is a flawed assessment).
Currently we have a strained relationship with Russia especially in terms of import restrictions, so our once copious supply of Russian surplus weapons and ammo has dried up. This is the reason that Mosin-Nagant rifles from the 1930s are now ~$220 instead of the $100 or so they were ten years ago. However, if what people expect Trump to do happens and we rebuild our relationship with Russia, then those import embargos might relax and we will once again see cheap surplus rifles and ammo.

So the value equation is much more complicated than something like a car.
>>
If you're buying guns as an investment, there are two different reasons why you would acquire them.

1. For their intended purpose: killing. Basically shitloads of AR15s and Glock 17s and lots of magazines and ammo.

2. Historically relevant firearms. Lugers, M1 Garands, Broomhandle Mausers. These guns are obsolete but because of what they represent historically they are worth shekels. Especially Nazi stuff.
>>
>>1639871
/k/ here

guns can decrease in value for many reasons
people think they are flawless investments, but that thinking stems from misunderstandings about buisiness

1. deflation
you could be tying up all your money in unproductive assets

2. new models reduce the value of older models

3. sale-ability of rare/historical weapons is not guaranteed
you may well find yourself with a gat theoretically worth 20K, but nobody with an interest can afford it
sale-ability of old model guns can be problematic, people would rather a cheap new gun

4. international market supply
the US system is literally designed to jew americans
cheap imports are banned, meaning US companies can sell at inflated prices; they then donate money to the people upholding the import bans
if that falls apart, you could see thousands of 300$ AK 47's flood the market

5. restrictions on sale
transfer fees, interstate bans, federal bans

6. damage in storage
everyone thinks it won't happen to them; yet it happens anyway

7.existence of stockpiles
in the US there are MILLIONS of guns in underground armories, private collections, warehouses, national reserves, dealerships, in auction house limbo

because they arn't "for sale" they don't necessarily keep prices low, but should any group stockpiling start to sell there could be a market shock

when glock makes a new model, I strongly suspect they shelve if not destroy millions of old model guns to keep demand high
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.