[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, it's noskills 30ro guy from last week here After

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1634.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1634.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys, it's noskills 30ro guy from last week here

After lurking through my thread and other relevant discussions, I feel a good direction to take would be starting my own lawn care service. I've got years of landscaping experience and a small bit of money for a mower trailer and edge trimmer.

My plan will be to start small and then move into maybe pressure cleaning drive ways, cleaning windows and other odd jobs.

I hope to have it set up as a monthly contract, and I aim (fairly loftily high) to make $100k gross in the first 12 months.

From that I can take expenses out etc. Can the guy who repairs sidewalks pop in for a bit of a chat? I have questions.

Also can anyone recommend a way of drumming up customers? I feel going door to door with the "I'm new, for a discount would you like to trial my services etc" would only work to a point. My second plan is to approach real estates and look at covering their properties.

Apologies for the blog post, I keep doing it.
>>
Door to door sucks. I would outsource it.

I knew a guy who would take a ziplock bag and put a rock & his biz card in it. Then proceed to throw it into people yards. Primarily people with big yards because that's more money. You can spin this a bit and make a sales flyer and place it on peoples yards/doorstep. Just put a rock on it so it doesn't fly away.

Bandit signs tend to work very well. Same with flyers up on communal boards.

It's winter though. Don't expect much biz until the next season comes in.
>>
>>1631412
It takes quite a while to build up enough clients to gross 100k because the only real way to get clients is word of mouth. So you are likely to spend a year making very little profit as you try to hustle up your first few clients using every trick in the book to advertise and get leads. But if you do a good job and are RELIABLE you will find that you end up with more work than you can handle as word spreads. But it takes a lot time to build up that first foundation of clients that can spread you further. It is rare for somebody to be reliable so if you show you are then you will be remembered and people will mention you to their friends over time.

But the reason it is rare for people to be reliable is they are always trying to bite more than they can chew. You want 100k gross in 12 months. That means you haven't got time to start with only a few hours a day to work your way up to a routine where you easily have the stamina to do 8-12 hour days. You will try to overload yourself and end up letting everybody down. Also, if you are not highly-experienced, you will have to charge less than fair rate for your first few clients. You are not looking for big profit from these clients, just to impress them for referrals and also to gain more experience so you produce better results when you start charging more.

I wouldn't waste my time with b2b (real estate agents and the like) until you had more experience and maybe figured out a specialty area. All established businesses will already have landscaping contacts, getting b2b service contracts is much harder than getting regular customers. You are better off waiting until you get referred to small businesses by your home clients. Trust me, offering services to businesses through cold-contact is a real nightmare.
>>
>>1631460
Interesting you bought up b2b. Real estate in particular. It may be hard to sale those leads, but prospecting them is super easy. I'll show you how.

1) Search these strings in google..
inurl:contact <your city> realtor
inurl:contact <your city> real estate
Add any other keyword you think would work. Construction companies maybe?

2) Write up a sales letter. Google "email copy writing tips" for help on that.

3) Copy + paste your sales letter to every website contact form that came up from your search query.

There's bots to do this. There's Indians to do this. It doesn't take much time to manually anyway. Spend an hour a day and you'll hit everyone before the week is over. Get a sale and it's a win.

Word of the wise is create several sales copy emails and split test them all. Assuming you have a website, make a bitly link unique to each sales letter. Then simply track which link got the most clicks. Once you establish which letter works the best, ditch the inferior ones.
>>
>>1631460
Thanks for your input mate. Ausfag here so it's coming into summer. Very hot, and grass grows like crazy.

Also I suppose my $100k is worth something like $70k to you guys, if that makes it a more achievable goal.

I have no qualms with working 8-12 hours a day, since I already do that in the factory. At least this way in outside and networking while being able to listen to my own music / audiobooks while doing lawns.

As for skill level, I'm planning to go through my street and tell them "hey guys, I'm doing a lawn care start up, would you mind if I run over your lawn for $10-$20?

At this point in time it's more about just getting the experience down. If I do a good enoug job then I can probably go to the same people and charge them my full price.

Also, what should I be charging per lawn? I know I gotta look at hours at the site, etc but is there someone who's in the same job that can give me some advice?
>>
>>1631596
>Also, what should I be charging per lawn? I know I gotta look at hours at the site, etc but is there someone who's in the same job that can give me some advice?
Call your competitors. Act like a customer. See what they bill. Bill more or less what they do.
>>
Had to retype because I thought you were in the USA. Your competition won't be 100% Mexican.....but business is business.

My office is a CBRE property, the property manager pays the Mexicans to come 2x per month rain or shine. They blow the leaves into a pile and take them away. They mow and edge the lawn.

If AUS has home owner's associations, find those websites and hit up the property manager, you could even turn up at the HOA meetings to offer your services to people.

The problem you face is that landscaping is fairly straight forward. It's possible to do a bad job mowing a lawn, but not hard to do a good job. It may be difficult to compete based on the quality of work, as you will still want to be doing a large volume of business, so you can't spend all day edging a yard and cleaning it up afterwards. So basically, your only advantage initially may be pricing. Definitely call competitors and see what they charge. Say you are from a home owner's association of a building manager or something. Tell them your boss is buying a building in a business park and wants to know the cost of landscaping.
>>
>>1631708
Great advice mate, thanks a lot.

When is a good time to brin on new employees? Is it a natural evolution that happens when I start to get buried under work or what.
Ideally I'd like to have 2-4 guys under me while I chase contracts and shitpost on 4chan and lift. I don't want to be rich or any thing else but I want to eventually have the business be able to support purchasing real estate.
>>
Guys

I got it

I'm a fucking genius.

Is investing in Your customers a wise idea? Because I'm thinking of giving each customer a little pack that contains a scratchie lotto ticket, a small candy and a token that goes towards a free mow / driveway pressure clean / window clean.

I figure the $3 each pack would cost is outweighed by the word of mouth each customer will offer, plus if they feel they are building towards a reward, they may feel further inclined to keep using me over others.
>>
>>1631596
check out jims mowing website, see if you can knock it off and quote just under the price they charge.

i see those fuckers everywhere, so they must be doing something right.

if they're doing it, copy them. don't go out all national and shit on your first run, just focus locally - but try to be better than them at their own game.
>>
>>1633022
skip the scratchie, give them a 'recuring discount' card if they refer a friend.

you can get the plastic cards made on aliexpress - they look like those annoying flybys cards, y'know the hard plastic ones everyone has.

or get on vistaprint and get a shit ton of fridge magnets made. 1 for your customer and 1 to give to their lead/friend

also. while im at it. the business i work in, we use Programmed as our property maintenance provider. They outsource to a local contractor. I've worked at a few sites across sydney and each contractor is shared across sites, or completely different - so you get a feel they have dedicated areas.

The smartest guy i ever met had a team of 8. He came in smashed out his workload - that should have taken him half a day - in 45 minutes. Windows cleaned, rubbish removed from gardens, trimming trees and garden plants, cleaning outside display and customer access etc. mowing as required and taking rubbish away. Basically making the place look as if it were just built. This guy was telling me the he can get a weeks work done in 2 or 3 days with his team, and the cost was only 1 days pay. So, a larger team makes money come in much faster.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.