[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you identify market demand? Do you just do paid surveys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: a291.png (2MB, 776x837px) Image search: [Google]
a291.png
2MB, 776x837px
How do you identify market demand?

Do you just do paid surveys asking a targeted demographic if they would like a product and see if it would be economically viable to enter an industry? Does anybody have experience with this?
>>
>>1626008
offer a product

if it takes forever to sell, demand isn't there.

if it sells in a couple seconds, offer it again.
if it sells fast again, you MIGHT have a market.
>>
>>1626008
Basically... just ask yourself, would you buy your own product. Usually the answer is no. Tweak until its a yes.

Kudos to Sub Zero, my favorite MK character.
>>
>>1626019
>offer a product

You mean develop an entire business behind a product and if it fails oh well? Seems inefficient.
>>
>>1626026
Just offer the product without having any inventory. If there are orders get busy but if there are none move on.
>>
>>1626026
Inventing and finding a market for something are two different things, you asked for the latter

You dont have to invent a new lightbulb to sell chinese LED bulbs
>>
>>1626026
>Seems inefficient.
ah, you're operating on the assumption that your product is new and different.

in the unlikely event you actually have a new product, yes they do surveys.

it still requires you to "develop an entire business behind a product" because you can't reliably survey people about something that doesn't exist and they haven't tried.
>>
File: reactionface.png (492KB, 702x417px) Image search: [Google]
reactionface.png
492KB, 702x417px
>>1626008
Here's what you do:

Make a website with your service/product offering. Design the entire website as if it was entirely up-and-running and ready to go. Even have the "pay now" or "order now" button.

Instead of onboarding the customer to a payment gateway, push them to a landing page which says "Due to high demand, we're out of stock!" or "You've got priority - let us notify you as soon as we're available" and a field for them to input their email.

Spend some time refining your adwords campaign and send as much traffic as you can (viably) to the site. See how many sign-ups you get.

If you know that your first 'batch' of product (i.e. 1 crate of 50 Dog Shampoo bottles, or 2 software licenses) costs you $400, make sure that you have enough 'sign-ups' to generate $400 should only half of them complete the purchase.

Buy your product/service requirements, and reach out to those who signed-up with a nice looking "We're ready - place your order now!" or "Our service is now live!" email.

If no one signs up, then ditch the idea or refine until it works.

protip:
>use A/B testing. I converted a 2% sign-up rate into a 29% sign-up rate by literally changing the size of a word
>use A/B testing again
>use A/B testing some more

What's your idea of product/service offering OP?
>>
>>1626008
You talk to people

>Would you be interested in a can of soda with a temperature-sensitive color strip on it, that let's you know when it's cold?
>Actually yeah! I carry soda with me when I go on long walks, and sometimes it's too warm
or:
>Nah, I'd just buy a new cold one from a vending machine

Do that to like 15 different people. Congratulations, you've done your market research and all it cost you was like 20 minutes of your time.

>>1626030
>Inventing and finding a market for something are two different things
Very this.

>>1626033
>it still requires you to "develop an entire business behind a product" because you can't reliably survey people about something that doesn't exist and they haven't tried.

Maybe OP should work in reverse. Like if one wants to start a company they want to work within either a competitive advantage or a specific skill set they have. So rather than look for market demand for a product, look at yourself or your company and see what products you can offer to exploit that.

That might be your personal network, your professional network, your reputation for expertise with certain things, maybe you live in a neighborhood where a lot of people have similar habits (People who spend a lot of time sitting on porches for example -- now you can sell outdoor products -- as opposed to a neighborhood where everyone has a media room)
>>
>>1626067
>What's your idea of product/service offering OP?
Posters for college kids. I'm in college so reaching my market should be fairly straightforward. I've already have photographers to source my work, a lawyer-vetted contract, a supplier, and logo lined up.

I'm currently developing my own e-commerce platform so if this idea fails I can deploy the code quickly for other ideas quickly. My fallback business is to develop e-commerce sites for whoever will take them.

Worst case scenario, I lose a few grand and many hours on this project, but I walk out with resume-worthy experience (I'm a CS major).
>>
>>1626033
>ah, you're operating on the assumption that your product is new and different

No, I'm simply trying to minimize lost time/money.

>>1626028
Smart, will probably do this
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.