[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 23 and will starting a job that most people don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1478436128934.jpg (76KB, 1023x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1478436128934.jpg
76KB, 1023x1023px
I'm 23 and will starting a job that most people don't get into until they're 30s-40s. My mentor has warned me that my being so young will negatively impact my ability to interact with my colleagues because they won't take me seriously. They'll probably laugh at me every time I get carded when we're out drinking etc.

How can I avoid being mocked for being so young in my position? My basic strategy is to just work 60-80 hour weeks for a year until my work ethic speaks for itself. Is that enough?
>>
>>1623201
Work ethic counts for a lot, but I'd also recommend you listen more and speak less. That always makes you seem older and wiser, and the people who would resent you for being ahead of where they were will be more likely to want to give you advice.

I recommend 'An astronaut's guide to life on earth' for more advice on how to make a good first impression at a tough job.
>>
>>1623201
Tl;dr advice: Noone really cares if you are working 60 or 80 hours per week as long as you GET SHIT DONE. Do your job. Do it efficient and good.
And don't be a pussy if a middle aged cuck cracks jokes about your age.
>>
Work out and get tattoos- that will intimidate thos old ass crackaz.
fucking crackaz keeping young niggaz down
>>
>>1623201
just don't give a fuck about jokes dumbass.

give them the impression you're young and willing to learn.
>>
>>1623278
WE
>>
>>1623237
This anon is correct. I worked with many older people when I was much younger and the best thing you can do is keep quiet and gather knowledge. That isn't to say you shouldn't ever talk, but just don't blather on like young folk tend to do when trying to impress people.
>>
>>1623201
what's the job?
>>
>>1623237
Totally agree on the listen more than you speak. I already live by that philosophy. If I'm talking, I'm not learning.

>>1623245
True, true. Quality over quantity. I don't give a shit about the jokes, I just don't want to lose power because old fuckers won't listen when it matters.

>>1623324
I don't care about the jokes, just want to get some modicum of respect.

>>1623455
can't divulge
>>
>>1623201

You have to be more like them

>Talk about your wife and kids
>Take up golf, squash something like that
>Walk a bit hunched and get a cane if you can
>Use an older voice, a bit squeeky is perfect
>Wear your dad's cologne
>Use a fineliner to dot stubble on your face as the day goes on
>Wash it off when you are home
>Talk about your prostate a bunch and go to the toilet alot
>Talk about your love for coffee
>Wear shoes fit for the occasion
>Talk about how your joints just weren't what they used to be when taking the stairs
>Talk about how the missus put you on a diet and pat your belly a bunch
>Complain about your mortgage a bunch
>>
>>1623468
>can't divulge
fuck off
sage
>>
>>1623201
It will be. But then the lazy fags will criticize u. U cant win them all. Most co workers are like roomates. They suck shit. This is why i work alone. So long as u can keeo on top of the drama. And if u can try and grow a man beard. Id just show up and pull my dick out bro. Do your work and act as mature and respectful as u can. Expect to be the office bitch rather u work 5 hours a week or 100. If they let u pull 6 12 hour shifts fucking go for it. Have a quart bottle of ky lube ready every paycheck for you taxes.
>>
>>1623499
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.