[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im in commumity college looking to transfer to a good electric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1475543384814.jpg (113KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475543384814.jpg
113KB, 960x960px
Im in commumity college looking to transfer to a good electric engineering program but I am also aware of the current layoffs here in Commiefornia where I live. Apparently many EEs switch to programming or comp sci so I was wondering if I should stick with EE or do another discipline like mechanical engineering. Also, I dont really like the idea of working long hours and being under stress like many EEs and am attracted to the freedom that comp sci and programming offers. What should I do?
>>
>>1619850
Go for real engineering, get licensed. Don't be a dumb ass like me who went for computer engineering and now competes with the whole world.
>>
>>1620120
BS Computer Engineering here working in an EE field.
Almost nobody in most jobs I've worked has PE certification; not that it's a bad idea, but in a lot of fields it's not really a value add.
This is doubly true if you work in software.
>>
>>1620120
U must just suck at it
>>
>>1619850
ME here, The fact is kid, what you do in life isn't determined by your degree. When it is all said and done, you might be an engineer, or you might be a business manager like myself who was flown to San Fran for US navy nuclear stuff. Now, kid, once upon a time not long ago I was just like you and graduated into the recession, I didn't know what was going to happen or what I would do. I got hired and the company collapsed in San Antonio collapsed, it was rough years, life is rough. Lost a wife, lost my apartment, lost my job, I was on the streets. Then I built my own business and now I work in SD selling north of 600k/year. Ask yourself, is EE what you wanted as a child? Is that what you woke up age 5 and dreamed about? Don't worry kid, chin up, with or without the EE degree you will be fine.
>>
>>1620125
>>1620124
I write software, I don't do hardware stuff. If you're not at the big 4s - Amazon, Google, Facebook or Facebook you're basically just waiting till you get replaced by a cheaper resource, so don't kid yourself at being irreplaceable.

The only way to succeed is to own the product, if you're working for others its basically same wagecucking.
>>
>>1619850
There is no true "freedom" ever kid, freedom is an illusion. Owning your own business makes you a slave to the business. Managing a business makes you a slave to shareholders. Being an engineer makes you a slave to upper management. What no one can take from you is your mind or your soul, no one owns that, only you. Success isn't measured by whether you are the strongest, it's measured by the content of your character. Success isn't measured by how many times you get knocked down but how many punches you can take and keep getting back up. Nothing in life is guaranteed and tomorrow isn't either! Good luck kis
>>
>>1620134
>>1620152
Unsubscribed from your shit blog. OP asked for advice not your shitty life story lmao
>>
Is there that much of a difference between EE and ME(mechanical engineering)? From the prereqs and major reqs that I see in the uni I go to (UCSB), it seems that ME is more hands on and involves more chem courses while EE requires more physics courses.

I also got the same concerns as OP. There have been bad layoffs this year but Im hopeful that Trump will cut the cancer that is H1B visa workers substantially and force employers to hire domestic.

2nd question: best programming languages to learn for EE/ME?
>>
>>1620120
Care to share your experience anon? College, degree, years of experience, current state of your life?
>>
>>1620300
Do you even have any idea what you are getting into? It seems like your lack of information is so great you can't even tell the difference between two vastly different degrees. Please inform yourself soon before you make a decision you'll regret for the rest of your life.
>>
>>1620138
>CE for software
nigga wat
>>
Get yourself a degree in EE, but learn to code ffs. The odds are your first job will be software unless your military. Once you have enough seniority you can switch to a hardware position. The reason I chose EE is because you teach yourself most coding, but hardware requires expensive equipment and good teachers.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.