[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I get my motivation to work back? I used to be crazy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: EuwJ0MjTOxY.jpg (51KB, 571x448px) Image search: [Google]
EuwJ0MjTOxY.jpg
51KB, 571x448px
how do I get my motivation to work back?

I used to be crazy skilled, worked all hours and built things that still earn me a living to this day.

but the last few years I've been depressed, burned out, and barely able to do anything, barely worked at all.

I know exactly what I should be doing, how I could improve my existing products so they could bring in much more money

but my passion and motivation is dead. It died after I spent 2 years on a labour of love project that failed hard and earned nothing.

I can sit in front the screen and force myself to work, and what used to take me an hour might take me days.

I hate so much how I am squandering my resources and skills due to apathy

what do
>>
>>1616501
Get enraged. Smash some shit up. Let your rage be fuel your projects.
>>
If you can afford to just take a short break. Also I know that feel to have a project go up in flames.
>>
>>1616501
you can try r9k
>>
>>1616501
You want real motivation? Find a shitty minimum wage job. Have your manager boss you around to the point where you can't take it anymore. Have an epiphany that self-employment or learning a skill will be the key to success. And then never let a wagecuck have control over your life again.
>>
In the same boat, meng. Have enough income from side projects to just chill, so it really robs you of your fire

Maybe it's just time to retire for awhile and really think about what you want.

It's what I'm going to do soon.
>>
>>1616501
>but my passion and motivation is dead. It died after I spent 2 years on a labour of love project that failed hard and earned nothing.

What was that? Please be more precise anon, I don't often say this, but your story actually seems interesting.
>>
>>1616501
your body and brain are probably tired and need to recharge. just do what comes naturally. if you were naturally hard working. , trust your body.
>>
>>1616611
>Have enough income from side projects to just chill, so it really robs you of your fire
this does figure. I have enough coming in to survive. But not enough to be secure.

>>1617974
>What was that?
An indie vidyagame... A 3D logic puzzle game. The technical side of building it was interesting, so was designing the puzzles, but... It just wasn't fun or polished enough for casual players.

the things that still earn me money are web dev related, but I've come to hate that.

I'd like to just chill and make cool things... but I don't feel secure enough to do that. I need to be earning more. And the fun things I want to make don't earn money. (Games, robotic stuff/simulations)
>>
>>1618246

That sucks OP. I think I might know similar feels. I quit my job 2 years ago to pursue an indie game project. I spent all my savings, we didn't get very far and now I'm completely broke and the tremendous stress has left me with some lingering health problems. I used to do webdev a lot but I don't even want to think about doing it now, I see my friends doing it and it just stresses me out tremendously to even think going back to work on some shitty website. Plus the job market here is notoriously cliquish so I doubt I would even be able to get work anywhere without spending a solid 6 months interviewing and networking full time. So now I just squat in a friend's basement and get my groceries from the food bank. With my medical bills I don't even know if I'm going to have the money to last that long.

I still come in and out of motivation, some weeks I can keep it together and other weeks I just crash hard from exhaustion and can't do anything and it has cost me tons and tons of business. I'm seriously considering moving back home, even though I have a shitty relationship with my parents at least I'll be able to relax and do nothing there for a while without the guilt of feeling like I'm destroying my own business. It really is the worst fucking feeling, society puts so much pressure on us to be on at all times, but yet business/customer relationships are so pale and fickle, and there's nothing you can do about it, everything is dictated by greater psychological trends called "economics" that you have no control over.

Also video games are a shit field of business. The customers there are doubly shitty for some reason, with their heads stuck up their ass about what they think the finances of every game company should look like. Meanwhile, they don't understand how incredibly risky it is to build one of these products. I think I would rather flip burgers at this point, at least there people sometimes say thank you when you give them their order.
>>
>>1618281
Can't you make a little site for your own to earn some money with?
>>
>>1618281
iktf

At least I didn't spend much money on my attempt. I only lost time and motivation.

I sometimes wonder if I should just try gamedev again (tho I did have some smaller attempts since which also amounted to nothing... just to really hammer home that I fail at it.)

but it's like the web dev is a parasite in my mind. Since I know it was an area I had some actual success in, I feel like I'm not going in the right direction unless I do that. Not to mention, my main thing that earns me a little money seriously needs work doing on it before the users all run to better things.

Also web dev has changed so much in the last few years and seems so complicated now. Learning these new technologies is hard with no motivation.
>>
>>1619725

>Also web dev has changed so much in the last few years and seems so complicated now.

What are you specifically referring to?

I was looking to get into web dev, actually.
>>
>>1620286
>What are you specifically referring to?
Mostly the move from server side PHP type things (with a sprinkling of JS) to all this client side JS. More dynamic and real time web apps.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.