[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Taking advice from 4chan So after the election, my parents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 401k-To-Gold-IRA-Rollover.png (118KB, 635x452px) Image search: [Google]
401k-To-Gold-IRA-Rollover.png
118KB, 635x452px
>Taking advice from 4chan

So after the election, my parents asked me for advice on how to change their portfolio.

They are still working, but now have to start taking money out of their 401Ks where they have ~$400k there managed by Fidelity and have $25k in cash to invest.

I honestly have not studied this enough to give them enough advice besides Gold and Silver are good.

Main goal here is not so much to get crazy returns, but to keep the money safe in case the US defaults on it's debt, or crazy $ inflation starts, or Deutsche Bank falls, etc.

So what advice do I give them? Mind you, they won't just do what I say, I have to make a good argument for doing it.
>>
>>1609515
>keep the money safe in case the US defaults on its debt, or crazy $ inflation starts, or Deutsche Bank aflls, etc
A bunker, 6 months worth of food and 2,000 boxes of 7.62

Invest the rest in trading sticks (and keep them in the bunker).
>>
>>1609569

I am not saying I think the economy won't survive any of those scenarios, but double digit inflation is possible, a serious drop in the stock market, or US having to seriously cut the budget.

What do you guys think of the More Metal technique, where you use the ratio of the price of gold and silver to trade it back and forth instead of worrying about it's $ value?
>>
Ok, different question:
What professional's advice should I trust?
Is the investment banker from Fidelity going to give my parents good advice?
Does it matter if he is a "feduciary"?
>>
>>1609515
They need the money to live on or they are scared of the market?

If they are really that scared they could just put it all in TIPS. Safe as cash and hedged against inflation.

Personally, I would focus on avoiding fees and allocate to fixed income based on time horizon. You might want to check out the "boglehead" ideology.
>>
>>1609578
Elaborate
>>
>>1609586
Forget the fearmongering buy gold crap. Find a fee only fiduciary advisor!
>>
>>1609594
Thank you for taking your time to help.

>Find a fee only fiduciary advisor!

Sounds like good advice. Where should I look? Will Fidelity have one, or do we need someone more independent.
>>
>>1609589

Ok, so the idea that I heard is this:

Instead of hoarding gold, you look at the historical limits of the ratio between Gold and Silver, When the ratio of the prices is closest you imagine your investment as 100% Gold, when it is the largest (Meaning that you can buy as much Silver with your Gold as at any time before in history) you want to hold 100% silver.

Each time the ratio changes, you convert some of your Gold to Silver, or vice versa. So that the volatility in the relative price of Gold and Silver is slowly giving you more and more ounces of Metal.
>>
>>1609612

Something software based is probably necessary to keep up with all of the price fluctuations.

Granted I picked up this Idea from
>the fearmongering buy gold crap proponents
>>
>>1609594
>Find a fee only fiduciary adviser!

The closest ones are 130 miles away. How would you communicate with one? Do they use Skype? Or is driving down there necessary?

>I am feeling so stupid asking all of these noob questions
>sorry /biz/, is there a FAQ I could read?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.