[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start off by saying that this isn't a troll post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: shet.jpg (4KB, 306x260px) Image search: [Google]
shet.jpg
4KB, 306x260px
I want to start off by saying that this isn't a troll post and I am trying to start a genuine discussion on this subject matter.

Can someone explain to me the point of retirement investment strategies like a Roth IRA or a 401k? Everyone keeps telling me that I am an idiot for not taking advantage of these systems but the idea of it just seems silly to me. I am 25 now so I have some life experience under my belt but I still don't know if this is because I am just financially illiterate or everyone else is a fucking retard (which is what I am starting to suspect).

From what I understand thus far, it's kind of a "fool-proof" method of securing some retirement money for yourself by the time you are 60. Sounds nice. My issue with this is that you are essentially surrendering yourself to a lower income bracket at that age... otherwise you defeat the whole point of higher deductions in the present in exchange for lower taxes in the future.

Basically, you can't access all of your money without being taxed out the ass so you end up living on some meager fixed income until you die. Who the fuck would agree to this? Never mind the fact that with all the shit that happens in this world, you are locking up thousands of dollars which could potentially be used for other opportunities, for a very long period of time.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
>>
File: Compounding.png (19KB, 520x620px) Image search: [Google]
Compounding.png
19KB, 520x620px
>>1605823
becuase if you put in 10k a year and let it grow at the avg of 7% a year you will have a million atleast by the time you retire, if not more.
and having this not be taxed at the same rate (dont know the exact workings as canada is a bit different)
>>
>>1605823
Do you like paying taxes on your dividends and capital gains?
>>
>>1605823
>>1605831

While this anon is mathematically correct. 7% gains is not gauranteed. Who knows if the stock market will really continue to take off. 45 years is a long time to wait and you be to old and senile then to really use it. I have a 401k but i only contribute 1%, kind of as a go with the system type thing to appease my coworkers. However, i dont really count on having that money and i would cash out in a heartbeat (it was all matched by my employer). While it was good for the people that started using it first i think there eventually will be a systemic collapse or simply inflation will eat whatever you gained anyway. I believe it is mass delusion due to the one basic assumption that is 6 7 8% or whatever annual growth.
>>
>>1605927

>also daily reminder

401ks were devised as a mechanism to shift big business and gov employee pensions to a system in which the market risk is born by the employee. It also is a direct subsidy of the financial services industry and wall street, as the majority of 401k plans are not self directed
>>
>>1605927
>old a senile
>50
srs anon?

and its not a guranteed 7%, thats just what is widley accepted as the average you will approach over a long period of time
>>
>>1605933
this. granted pensions tend to over promise
>>
>>1605943
The age of retirement/withdrawal without penalty i believe is currently 62, and has been slowly increasing. They will probably have it up to 65 at least by the time millenials 'retire'. 65 is pretty old in my opinion. Anything over 80 is barely functioning physically

7% is what past history has showed. But if you know history and global economics, the US may be taken down a peg in the next 30 years, especially our currency. Also, demographics.
>>
>>1605955
the current age for full retirement is 66. It's being phased up to 67 for those born after 1960.

you can retire at 62 but you permanently lose 20% of your benefit.
>>
>>1605955
ok true, i guess im just used to being around healthy old people (dad just turned 60 and looks better than some 45 y/o i know)
>>
>>1605955
You can withdraw without penalty any time you want.
>>
>>1605959
Thank you for the correction

>>1605960
Many people are health at 67, many people are not. Also ask yourself what will one dollar buy today, what will it buy in 40 years?

>>1605961
For a roth ira you can as it has already been taxed, for a 401k you cannot. Im not a tax professional though.
>>
Op, you're absolutely right. Do not save anything for retirement. live for today breh. #yolo
>>
>>1606082

>401ks are only way to save for retirement
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.