[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad gave me 100k CAD for med school but I don't think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Rabbit_in_montana.jpg (2MB, 1193x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Rabbit_in_montana.jpg
2MB, 1193x1060px
My dad gave me 100k CAD for med school but I don't think I will get in. What should I do with 100k? I legitimately just want to write books but that is not reliable. Should I open a business of some sort?
>>
The s&p is low right now because of trump fear. Buy the dip.
>>
>>1600333

I don't know anything about stocks
>>
>>1600323
Your dad is a moron for just giving you cash instead of paying the school directly. I would say keep 15-20k cash and open an RBC acct or something for a couple ETFs.
>>
>>1600343

He has millions he doesn't really care. I have a way better chance at law school but I don't think I'd like it. I don't know I don't have any ambition to be a lawyer.
>>
Put at least part of it into some kind of education. It's always good to have a failsafe to fall back on. And honestly, both medicine and law are super interesting fields for writers. Both to write in and to write about. More knowledge and more practical experience makes you a better writer. Hell, once you're working at a law firm or in a hospital you'll be seeing so many new perspectives and crazy cases you'll be coming up with new books every month.

>Should I open a business of some sort?
Sure. But running a business takes skills and knowledge and selling a service takes even more of those. Which brings us back to education... If you're not good at anything nobody'll pay money for whatever you have to offer.
>>
>>1600359

Definitely agree with you. I want to finish my undergrad and honestly I really do want to pursue higher education of some sort after my bachelors degree but I have no interest in grad school for my undergrad at the moment.

Medicine is what primarily interests me. Law is an option. If I can't get into medical school should I pursue law just for the sake of having a JD/career? There are a few pros I have thought about regarding law. First it is way cheaper. 3 years vs 4 years and only about 30-35k whereas medicine would take up most of the 100k, I am good at critical thinking/writing, there are many fields of law that don't involve litigation/going to court so I am sure I could find something I might be comfortable doing. Downside though is I have no passion for it, would probably get burned out.
>>
>>1600369
Well... as it happens I'm a writer with a law degree and my best friend is a doctor. Apart from both being analytical, the fields honestly couldn't be much more different. Even in education. I never once had to fill in a multiple choice test. They're worthless, because law is about arguing. Hell, I had several exams where I came to completely different solutions than intended but I still aced them because I was able to stringently argue for them on the given factual and legal basis. There is very little I ever had to learn by rote. *Understanding* it is much more important.
My friend on the other hand spent years learning vast amounts of facts until he knew them by heart. What are all the bones and muscles called in latin? What medication is for which condition and what are the side effects? What symptoms indicate with disease? It's based in natural sciences and there is no arguing. You don't have to convince anyone, there is an objective truth you're trying to find. Literally 95% of his university tests were multiple choice. Because knowing facts is all that counts.

In my experience they're also for different personalities and goals in life. Medicine usually deals with more responsibility (literally life and death) while the law rarely matters on the grand scale (criminal law and family law are a bit different, but otherwise it's exclusively about money). In return it's easier to "do good" and get rich as a doctor than it is as a lawyer. Defending innocents doesn't rake in the big dough, while selling your soul to corporate greed does. I like dealing with words, arguments and opinions. I wouldn't want to deal with sick people, bodies and deases all the time. My friend is a hot-shot surgeon - it's scary how much they (have to!) treat a body like a piece of meat. I don't like it.

If you are into one but not the other I have to tell you to go with your heart. They're too different to simply force you into one for the rest of your life because it's cheaper.
>>
>>1600394

Thanks for this.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.