[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /biz/, my school added a senior capstone project for my mechE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_3842-t3_5ao7m2-1505404156.jpg (293KB, 1090x726px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_3842-t3_5ao7m2-1505404156.jpg
293KB, 1090x726px
So /biz/, my school added a senior capstone project for my mechE degree in addition to our usual senior capstone project. Basically we have to develop some project for Boeing, except they get to patent all of our work and profit off of it, we're explicitly forbidden from receiving employment or compensation from working on this project, and we had to sign an NDA so we can't put it on our resume either. This is a year long project and what we're working on stands to make them a lot of money and save them time and labor.

My concern is, is this thing even legal? I'm swamped with school work and pulling at least one all nighter a week, but now I'm giving away my time and expertise for free to a for profit company. They gave us this huge stack of forms to sign a couple months ago, but we were required to sign the documents and agree to the terms without them having filled in the fields describing what the projects we would be working on were. We were given the choice between not graduating and signing up to provide free labor on some completely unkown project.

Is there anything I can do about this bullshit? This is in Washington state, by the way.
>>
>>1599640
Sounds illegal/dodgy as fuck

My genuine advice, is to take this to Reddit. There's actual professionals there, as opposed to the endless shitposters that are here.

Anyway, can't you just, not put any effort into the project?
>>
>>1599640
Sounds like a deal between your dean of engineering and Boeing.

Its good that you at least get some experience and collaborate it, but if it hurts your grades - screw it.

I remember at my school there was to be no negotiation for internships lel, and if you took one you couldnt back out.
>>
>>1599675
It's not valuable experience if he can't put it on a CV.
>>
It's totally shady, but illegal? Probably not.
Especially since you signed the paper work like a dumbass. Unless they told you "sign right now without reading or i'm failing you" and you have it recorded, then you are not breaking that contract no matter what.

So, basically just halfass it as much as possible.
>>
>>1599640
Maybe consult a lawyer about it. Does sound pretty shady.
>>
>>1599640
And you're the one paying for this?
>>
>>1599640
Are you not allowed to pick your own project for your capstone?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.