[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2:2 Maths degree because muh depression (2.67 GPA or something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1478188119000.jpg (98KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478188119000.jpg
98KB, 640x640px
>2:2 Maths degree because muh depression (2.67 GPA or something like that for Americans)
>Teacher for 2 years
>Do a Master's to damage control
>Realise graduate schemes will start hitting deadlines soon
>Realise I can't leverage my MSc this early in the year (or at all in the UK)
>Realise all applications will be rejected automatically for the rest of my life if they have a 2:1 criterion
>Depression starts creeping up slowly at the back of my mind
>post on /biz/ asking for advice to manage my anxiety

I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone else. Do I have any chance of self-actualization without rejecting reality at this stage?

What do I do? Do I lie? How do I bury my Undergrad disaster forever?
>>
>>1599599
>Things go wrong
>begin to cry
>retreat to 4chan

Never gonna make it.
Get the fuck back out there, make ends meet, make plans, etc.
>>
>>1599599
What are 2:2 and 2:1?
>>
>>1599603
1st = 4.00 GPA
2:1 = 3.00 - 3.67 GPA
2:2 = 2.00 - 2.67 GPA
Third (40%-50%)
Fail (=<40%)

2:1 is the "I did a degree" tick for most employers (it's practically the law).
>>
>>1599601
What exactly?

1. Hide it and leave it blank on applications.
2. Lie about it and hope they don't check (considered fraud and grounds for gross misconduct plus 6 months ban from neetbux plus non reference and an even more difficult situation)
3. Move to a different county that actually appreciates Master's degrees and respects them as the highest achievement.
>>
>>1599599

apply for the civil service and do good extracurriculars. Use indeed.co.uk to search for stuff

If it makes you feel better I got a 2.1 and cant pass interviews due to autism
>>
>>1599627
What's the issue?

>Maths degree at 2:2, not the best but fuck, it's still a second class and still MATHS, which is great
>Have an MSc
>Has at least 2 years working experience

????????
Pretty sure the MSc overrides the significance of the 2:1 anyway, criteria are just to weed out the worthless. With an MSc you should be fine.

>realise grad schemes will be closing
So, applied to how many so far?
>>
>>1599599
what subject is your masters in?
>>
>>1599646
I don't wanna delve too deep into it but I failed myself first and foremost as I was easily capable of achieving a 1st.

>Pretty sure the MSc overrides the significance of the 2:1 anyway

This is the problem, it doesn't. As soon as an application requests the grades, I will be rejected by a bot. This is why I'm asking, what would happen if I.... you know.... LIED! I might spill the beans to careers advice but I'm almost certain they'll tell me not to under any circumstances.

>So, applied to how many so far?

0. The only ones that accept 2:2 offer shit salaries like NHS at £23k/annum. I actually made a decent salary as a teacher so I value myself much, much more than that - I quit that shit career to improve my prospects after all.

>>1600104
MSc Statistics.
>>
File: 1414498743001.jpg (9KB, 231x240px) Image search: [Google]
1414498743001.jpg
9KB, 231x240px
>>1599599

You do realize that "depression" is just the condition of a broken ego?

It's a coping mechanism that the ego erects to protect itself from the realization of failure.
>>
>>1600170
What's your point?
>>
>>1600165
which uni?

Just asking cos I'm in a similar position but graduated 3 years ago and considering doing a masters but not sure if I'd get onto any courses (I did graduate from a good uni though).

My advice would be there are good jobs out there that are not grad schemes and you would not be auto rejected by a bot
>>
>>1600190
I don't want to specify, but I'll say it's top 10-ish but not quite Oxbridge.

I think the only reason they gave me an offer was because they were sort of familiar with the situation, and you only needed one internal reference for their own students. I got rejected from all other places, even in Europe (such as ETH, SSE).

I travelled to one Uni to speak face to face to admissions and ask them how to approach the situation but their smile quickly dropped and implied I shouldn't even bother applying as they wouldn't accept it anyway.

I plan to get top-grades + do a GMAT test on my own accord + a bunch of extracurriculars - but the problem is it is November and I have none of that to show yet. If I apply now to any Grad Scheme/Ph.D program, they will look at my 2:2 since I won't have my MSc grade till September 2017.

I'd say try to focus your home Uni. Anyway, do I lie?
>>
>>1600219
I did get 59.5% not even sure if it makes a difference, do you think they would view it same as someone who got 60%?

Thanks for the advice, definitely adjusting my expectations, my home uni is in top 10 too (Not oxbridge/imperial/ but a level below that), not even sure if my home uni would give me an offer.

I wouldn't lie because they are going to find out eventually and they could replace you easily with someone else on the waiting list
>>
>>1600272
Talk to whoever was your personal career advisor/tutor during your undergrad and ask them. They care about the success rates of their graduates - so your success is in their interest.

For 59.5%, you should have claimed some sort of extenuating circumstances to get the 0.5%.

Alternatively, you can try a German Uni with low entry requirements. Their higher education culture is superior in most ways:
>Easy to get into
>Hard to graduate
>You actually learn stuff, and it's what you do on your course that counts - not "MUH VOLUNTEERED AND CLEANED VETERAN SHIT EXTRACURRICULARS"
>Low tuition fees
>Actually learn things
>Squaring a year isn't considered the end of your life.
>>
>>1600293
I'm not sure if my tutor cares that much about me, saw the guy 4 times after 1st year of uni, doubt he would even remember me now

I didn't have a valid reason at the time and I felt like I deserved it (just lost motivation)

I will look into german unis too, thanks again for the advice and apologies for rerailing your thread
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.