[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Business is all about having adequate social skills. How do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: fake it til you make it.jpg (28KB, 638x358px) Image search: [Google]
fake it til you make it.jpg
28KB, 638x358px
Business is all about having adequate social skills. How do you improve on your social skills outside of the usual "socialize more"? I work as a server at a country club restaurant so I have to socialize with customers a lot. How can you make conversation flow more natural, especially with the more uptight people that come in?

Only reason I'm keeping this job is I'm hoping to improve on my social skills since I was sheltered for a large portion of my life.
>>
Anyone on?
>>
>>1589340
Confidence and a disarming personality. In your case I hope your job doesn't make you appear flustered. Personal appearance/fitness. Finally, goal oriented conversation, like sales
>>
>>1589341
I'll try to work on my personality more, and no I don't usually get flustered. It's just I have to put a ton of effort into talking with people, and if I'm just slightly tired then it gets awkward
>>
I worked in one of the most elite country clubs in the us as well as an extremely high value net worth financial field. What helped me was to think of myself as a rich persons son being forced to work a summer job. If you are calm and unintimidated people with notice. Think of yourself as a person people can cofide in not someone they're stuck with. The multimillionaire over there ? Hes just your uncle as far as you're concerned.
>>
>>1589340
Flattery will get you anywhere.
Work on your smile, make sure it's organic not forced.
Ask congenial, open ended questions.
Read the news everyday. Pay attention to the weather.

If you're autismo, read up on body language a little bit, don't worry about "reading" people. You just want to learn the bits about appearing/projecting "open" and "confident".
>>
>>1589355
How long have you been working there? When I first started serving, I was terrified. But after a few years I relaxed, realized my job was just to help customers choose what they want to eat and have a good time. I also had a kind of epiphany, realizing that most customers fear human interaction way more than you do. You'll get it with a little experience.
>>
More important than any other advice on this thread:

When applying for business jobs, ALWAYS put "African American" or "mixed race" as your race. You'll probably get 20 to 30% more response.

In my decades working in HR, we have never had one instance where we tried to verify a person's race... that's basically inviting lawsuit.
>>
I'm gonna start by saying, what I'm about to say will sound autistic, but it works so I'll say it anyway.

Get really friendly with your mirror and concentrate on two things. Body language and a natural smile. Look up some comedy that you find funny, wait until you get to a joke you find funny. Start smiling slightly at the joke, look in the mirror. How do you look? You have a natural smile. Now hold that smile until you've got it down cold. Now turn off the comedy and start trying to recreate that exact smile. After you know what it looks like, try and memorize what it feels like to make that exact smile. Bam, just whip that shit out whenever you need to smile, Now it will look genuine even if it's not. Normally it involves a little eye crinkle.

As far as body language. Never ever cross your arms or put your hands in your lap... Ever. It makes you look scared or defensive. Keep your arms at your sides or make small gestures in front of you, where the gesture never crosses your torso.

These two things will make people like you subconsciously which will make them talk to you easier.
>>
>>1589362
>>1589478
What kind of open ended questions would seem congenial but not intrusive?

Also thanks for the advice
>>
>>1589827
I've been there for two months exactly now. I'm starting to get over the anxiety I used to have, but I have trouble making small talk. Particularly with the more quiet customers. Maybe I just need time and experience with it.
>>
>>1589882
"How are you?"

"How are the kids?"
>>
>>1589847
This is unrelated. If the business firm is racist though you're probably less likely to get a response though.
>>
>>1589888
>I have trouble making small talk
So don't do it. Try to make conversations at least somewhat meaningful. If you ask how someone's day is going, actually listen. Have a real conversation, not bullshit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.