[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/biz/, what are the most requested certifications in the IT business?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: asd.jpg (25KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
25KB, 1200x794px
/biz/, what are the most requested certifications in the IT business?
I dont have a degree, currently on a uni hiatus, was studying CS but didnt like how university approaches subjects.
I've always been interested in networking and security.
Was thinking of taking the CCNA test. Still need to figure out which one, security, routine or whatever.
What certs do you guys have?
What certs do you look for when hiring someone for your IT company?
>>
>>1588253
Go through job postings and write down how many times you see a specific skill or certification. That way, you can make an informed decision based on your own research instead of relying on the opinions of strangers on a Mongolian goat breeding forum.
>>
>>1588266
the ony job postings here are on newspapers and they're really basic shit.
and there are no sites like zip recruiter or stuff like that
I can look at rankings of the most requested certs and they check out considering what I know but since I live in a shit country and with no degree Im fucked
>>
>>1588279
What country?

If you can't find a job there, move. And please don't bother posting some lame excuse as to why you can't.
>>
>>1588313
italy
I mean, moving abroad has been my aspiration since forever, but I first need to have some semblance of a fucking CV before going abroad, spending insane amounts of money on housing and food, and not finding a job because Im underqualified
you seem really optimistic on being able to just find a job magically once you move to a country like germany, the scadinavians or the Uk
>>
>>1588324
>just find a job magically
I never implied anything of the sort.

How is it that the only job postings are in newspapers? You don't have the internet in Italy?
>>
>>1588330
there are no jobs, and few job posting sites and the only ones like linkeding are all looking for hype qualified people
>>
>>1588253
I work for a small IT contractor company, each tech makes 50K - 130K
nobody has any certifications at all except for me; just work experience and we'll know but quick if you can perform or not

I just did an interview yesterday and they didn't really care that I am CCNA certified and (lol) A+ certified. The tech director just asked went down the line of tech areas and asked if I know it or not and if I have intermediate or expert level knowledge.

I'd say that certs can help get your foot in the door but you are MUCH better off getting in as an intern or Jr network admin or just PC tech and working in the field than getting certified. Not to mention an entry level IT job forces you to learn rather then having to have the discipline to study yourself.
>>
>>1588364
what country and how many years of experience do you have?
I ask because even finding an intern position is close to impossible here.
I know a guy that works in London so I might ask him if he knows whats up there, but as a non-degree, no-experience having 22yo it seems to me that certifications are my only chance of getting hired or even considered
>>
>>1588324
The CCNA routing and switches is the closest to the old CCNA aka it's the industry standard unless you know what specific field you want to go into.

If you only have certs and not education you should probably try to get experience as an intern for some international tech company (or any company) doing network shit or Giovanni's meatball parlor doing basically-unskilled computer tasks.
>>
>>1588376
You can get a shit job at a Best Buy (or whatever electronics store they have over there) to learn diagnostics and desktop support. You can also try a job at a call center for a tech related company, like an ISP. Even though its lame you can prove that you can hold a tech service job down and after a bit you can apply for higher positions at other companies.
You can get A+ PC hardware certified in like 2 weeks or some shit, and there's this faggot website called Cybrary that has courses and will allow you to get "certified" with almost no effort, which will fool normies if you want to pad your resume.

After some basic IT experience of some kind you can apply for desktop support positions for office companies. They may only pay like 15$ an hour but the experience is invaluable.

Once you're there, make a lab at home with a shitbox running server 2012 and practice and ask the sys admins at the office if you get issues and learn as much as you can. Ask them what it takes to move up and how they did it. I'm a contractor so I don't know the perfect plan into corporate mid - high level
>>
>>1588391
I'll try to ask around for internships.
and get the ccna, which is another headache: there is literally no cisco presence here so the only places to take courses are 3rd party, and there seems to be no option to just take the test as a self-studier....god I hate my country and how backwards and disconnected from everything it is.
I was studying CS, did my second year but I basically failed all my exams apart from 2, so I would have to do the 2nd one over and then the 3rd final one, and my parents arent too thrilled about that, and I'm neither, I cant justify having them pay for another 2 years, I'll work some and maybe then think about it once i have some experience and more maturity.

>>1588408
I'm dumb and forgot to mention, just today I got accepted for a part-time job at a "tech-mall".
I will try my best there and from what I read from several people online, if you show initiative and show you can help with general IT stuff you might get promoted to an actual IT position, getting that so-precious experience
It helps and I should use the fact that my english is excellent, (not as exceptional at speaking but I am a stammering motherfucker in my own language as well), I'm looking into getting CAE certified
>>
>>1588408
>You can get a shit job at a Best Buy
also, no. you cant.
this gives me the impression you're on the older side of this site's demographic, because many people from the last generation operate under the assumption that getting an entry level job jsut to get experience is a joke.
I managed to get a part-time position as a shop slave, that's as much as you can get with no degree/exp, as I said I'll have to bust my ass to make it into something worthwhile

also forgot to mention, was thinking about getting A+ certified, seems pretty basic shit I could prepare in 2 weeks as you said, just gotta find a non-jew center where I can just do the damn exam
>>
>>1588416
>I'm dumb and forgot to mention, just today I got accepted for a part-time job at a "tech-mall".
That's awesome! Any way you can get your foot in the door is good. Just keep learning at every opportunity and you'll be ok.
>>
>>1588533
yep, it's a "time" contract so after 3 months they may tell me to go fuck myself but I think I can show my worth.
I made a plan: get the CAE cert, get A+ and preparing for CCNA and working on myself and my sale skills, got back into audiobook and self development, there's some shit.
And then maybe once I have some experience and certs I can look abroad, London or if brexit RIPs the Uk maybe the Netherlands or New Arabia aka Sweden/Norway
Let's hope
>>
>>1588657
A+ is ok but it really isn't in demand unless you are going to be a low-level tech doing break/fix. I got it in highschool so I leave it on my resume, but I recently started going through the material and much of it was stuff I'll never use. I am taking a Linux route though. I got Linux Essentials and now am doing customer support for a VPS provider.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's hard to pick a path until you have a little experience. You may decide to study networking but once you get to the material, you hate it. When you start your job, talk to literally anyone you can and see what they've done and what they would suggest. Research emerging trends and try to position yourself for what will be in demand.
>>
>>1588661
yeah I would do it just to have it since it would take little effort and cant really hurt, one more thing to put on my resume. I oughta look into linux (used it for some time) and cloud servers, they seem to be on the rise as well
well, i've always been interested with networking and security, and it was the only thing that interested me in Uni, so I hope I'm ok.
And it seems one of the emergin trends overrall and in the IT sector
damn, there seem to be no support positions available over here, or maybe I'm not looking the right places, I checked out some of the biggest job listing sites but they're not used that much here and the little there is has big requirements. I think retail is the best I can do for now.
I will keep an eye out for abroad shit, the sooner I get out of this place the better
thanks for the help
>>
>>1588676
>has big requirements
Apply anyway. Often, the list of requirements is more of a wish list. For the job I have now, I didn't meet most of the stated requirements. If you get a company or field that is desperate for talent, they may be willing to train you and fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Can't hurt to apply, if anything you will just waste a few minutes.
>>
>>1588408
Yo other Guy here.

How to get a job at bestbuy or even an isp?

I have my A+ Comptia cert.(going for net+ before ccna) and am currently going to school for EE.

But i've applied muttiple times and never even see and interview. What's your secret senpai?.

But
>>
>>1588695
I've made a list of sites to use
>linkedin
>indeed
>monster
>glassdoor
>internships
some others? and also what >>1588726 says
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.