[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a recent economics graduate. I speak three languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: illegal.jpg (30KB, 720x430px) Image search: [Google]
illegal.jpg
30KB, 720x430px
I'm a recent economics graduate. I speak three languages fluently (Spanish, English and German), I'm also a good writer and communicator. Furthermore, I've single-handedly built up analysis divisions for investment banks from the ground up, and I've been a portfolio adviser for several years to a high net individual.

Could I conceivably be a freelance financial analyst/writer/researcher for simple projects? Would people be willing to hire me over older hires, if I'm willing to undercut people's prices? I'd live a sustainable life with about 1000-1200GBP after taxes, I'm not that concerned with amassing wealth if it allows me to build a solid reputation in the meantime. In either case, reason I'm thinking outside the box solutions is that I'm finding it incredibly hard to get my visa sponsored by a company, I don't want to go back to my shit tier country as I want to stay in the EU, where I truly feel I belong. So I'm thinking that this is at least a solution whilst I apply to jobs (I've already applied to 300+ but mostly get rejected or not even considered for not being the right nationality) and build a portfolio post-university I can point to and not me immediately dismissed from consideration. I'd travel around on tourist visas and jump from country to country once they ran out. I'd mostly stay in Eastern Europe where life is cheap. Is this a reasonable plan or is this pie in the sky? Also what are the suggestions you guys have to make this plan possible?
>>
>>1587199
Your women are fighting ISIS while you daydream about having a job someday.
>>
>>1587205
I'm Mexican, we have literally no associations with ISIS. Stop making racist assumptions without any evidence whatsoever. Furthermore, I have European ancestry on both sides of my family, it's just that due to how the laws are structured I don't have access to either nationality without protracted, and expensive legal processes.
>>
What uni?

Why don't you get a entry job at the ministry of economy ? It's easier and more independent than working as a freelancer.
>>
>>1587213
All I'm hearing is ALLAH IS GREAT... go back to Africa.
>>
>>1587218
University of Kent. As for traditional jobs, it's not from a want of trying. I'm just thinking that getting undesirable projects that people want to outsource for cheap is a good temporary measure to maintain presence in the European continent. At the very least that way I could conceivably build a network and get a job from the back door. Ideally I'd love to work in Spain, because as a Latin American citizen, after two years of residency I'd get citizenship. So there's that.

>>1587219
Yeah... from this post onwards I'm ignoring you.
>>
>>1587225
Give me £100k I'll get you uk residency
>>
>>1587225
I don't blame you. Good luck finding your first job dude. :^)
>>
>>1587226
Hah! You again? You're from the other thread, right? What's your magical residency granting mechanism?
>>
Try writing for Seeking Alpha. If you're any good, you will earn money and build a reputation.

It's a super competitive industry, and odds are you have neither the skill, experience, or tools (research, software, etc) to be successful.
>>
>>1587235
So this is a crowd sourced news collating site? Or is it everything investing related? I don't quite sure I follow the site's model as I'd never heard of it before.
>>
>>1587240
*I'm not quite sure I follow...
>>
>>1587235
Ok, so I've read a bit on this. This seems quite interesting! So you get 35 USD per article. That said, I'm assuming there's some sort of filter in place, do they have someone sitting on staff deciding whether or not to pay someone that cash? Or what's stopping people from just making clickbait, or copy pasting lorem ipsum to get the initial article payment?
>>
>>1587240
>>1587244
It's a site that provides investment research and pays contributors something like $10/1000 page views. I believe the people who run the site can also identify contributors as "Pro" researchers - I think they get paid more up front for each article.

Honestly it would probably be incredibly difficult to support yourself doing this, but it's the only thing that sounds plausible given your goals. I also don't know how your plan to bounce around on tourist visas would work. Somebody is going to come after you for taxes at some point.
>>
>I'm a recent economics graduate.
> I've single-handedly built up analysis divisions for investment banks from the ground up.

Sure you have..
>>
>>1587261
This is also a good point. If this were even remotely true then you would have zero problem getting a job.
>>
>>1587259
I have enough money to survive for the next six months with my savings, money is not the main concern atm. Getting my name out and creating a reputation is. So thanks for suggesting the website, I will definitely give it a thorough look! Perhaps focusing on the Spanish market would help me position myself a bit better.

>>1587261
It was a boutique multinational investment bank that has a branch in Spain but didn't have an analysis division in Europe. I was hired as an intern under the guidance of the head analyst in New York to "test the waters" in European markets. I was more less left to my own devices but reported my advances every week or so. It was quite useful, learned how to use a Bloomberg terminal and everything!

It must be said that I somewhat got the posting via family connections, but I did rather well, all things considered... Sadly the EU crisis made their expansion plans untenable thus they had little use for me afterwards. They gave me a glowing reference though.
>>
>>1587266
>"single-handedly built up analysis divisions"
>"learned how to use a Bloomberg terminal"

Definitely don't use that wording next time, you sound pretentious and I would throw out your resume if you made that claim.

If you have money and are just looking to improve yourself, work towards the CFA. I just earned my charter. You can't technically use it without 4 years experience, but being able to say you passed L3 will open doors.
>>
>>1587274
If I'm quite frank, I think CFA and the like would be lost on me. I've always been more of an autodidact who excels in projects but my brain sorta freezes during exams leading to somewhat lacklustre results on the academic front. Give me enough time and I'll move mountains to provide you with a good product, but if you put a gun to my head, and rush me, I crumble. I sincerely doubt I'd withstand the CFA examinations - they're no small feat. I know what I'm good at, and that sort of thing is definitely something I'd struggle with.

As for the wording, you do make a good point. I'll keep an eye out not to make that sort of mistake in future.
>>
>>1587284
Also, I know what you guys will probably say about the comments on the academic front- that it supposedly points to me being actually shit and that's why I'm not getting the jobs. Two things:

1. I'm not including academic record in the applications
2. I do legitimately mentally block myself in strict examinations. For example, I once failed an English exam supposedly proving my ability to communicate in the language. I needed a good result to get the visa to study abroad. As such, I took another one of the same variant about a week later. Once I'd understood the structure and how they wanted me to respond, I got top marks. If it had legitimately been a knowledge gap, it would've been impossible to master another language in under two weeks in order to ace the test. So I think that does point to my inability to survive that sort of artificially pressured environment, rather than a lack of skill in the area being tested. Interviews, projects and the like, I tend to do quite well. It's assessment centres that hamper me somewhat.
>>
>>1587290
This is kinda why I have never applied to become a trader. I once had a trading simulation at university, went absolutely atrocious. As such, I stick to what I'm good at, and that is research/analysis/value investing
>>
>>1587290
Why don't you help me build my business here in the US remotely? Tbh, I have read this whole thread and I absolutely love your attitude. I just started about 6 months ago and things are quite well. I work within the home improvement industry. Additionally, I am head of marketing for my brothers Manhattan Law firm.. Give me a holar if interested. Facebook com /bouldervets
>>
>>1587199
>>1587213
>>1587225
>>1587230
>>1587240
>>1587244
>>1587256
>>1587261
>>1587266
>>1587284
>>1587290
>>1587299
> why they have us the power to sage

Also the posts are unreadably long.
>>
>>1587290
That's fine I guess, some people are just bad test takers. Just trying to provide options.

Essentially right now you're saying you want a job that allows you to either work remotely or will sponsor your immigration. Those things just don't exist if you don't have the experience or credentials.
>>
>>1587199
kill yourself or get the fuck back to your shithole.
>>
>>1587603
>>1587621
Neither one of you are under obligation to read. Also pardon me for not writing in "meme arrows" because the topics are slightly more nuanced...

>>1587587
That sounds interesting! I've inboxed you. I don't know if it's trolling or not, but worth a shot.
>>
>>1587609
Yeah, I'm fearing I may have to do a temporary "tactical retreat" in the near term back to Mexico. I have enough of a social network to get a job there. I'm trying to come up with solutions here to avoid having to tap into it but everything kinda leads me to dead ends...
>>
>>1587603
> be me, out of job despite having been mentored over a decade by a professional investor
>don't want to go back to my shitty country
>what do?

There you have your abbreviated text hahaha
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.