[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to get a low-level (codemonkey) job in IT/CS,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3084.jpg (59KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3084.jpg
59KB, 800x600px
Is it possible to get a low-level (codemonkey) job in IT/CS, maybe as an expat, without a degree?

I'm currently studying a subject that doesn't interest me (business) and I have no way of transfering to another major. I live in western Europe.
I realized that I might've been better off studying computer science, but it's too late now.
What are my options, considering that I'm 19? Ideally, I'd like to move to another country, but I'm mostly searching for a way out of business administration.

I heard about MOOCs and certifications like CCNA, are they valuable? How should I proceed in order to make it easier to land a job?
>>
>>1583988
>I live in western Europe
Why is everyone so fucking vague on here? At least tell us the country, you weirdo.
>>
>>1584000
Sorry, I'm French.
>>
>>1583988
>I have no way of transfering to another major
How can this be true?
>>
>>1584011
Are the mosques not hiring any more IT guys?
>>
>>1584019
Basically, there's this thing where high school students have a higher priority at public universities, so I have to wait until they've all registered somewhere before my application gets reviewed. To add to this, there aren't many places at uni to begin with, so my grades aren't high enough to warrant applying to a program that has less than thirty seats to fill.
As for private universities, they're too expensive, too competitive to get into, or both.
A friend of mine tried changing majors last year (he wanted to quit business and get into a communications program) and got rejected everywhere he applied to.
>>
>>1584019
This
>>
>>1584030
So long story short you haven't even tried. Got it...

Well good thing about IT is you can often get away with having no degree. Follow a certification path and try to get your foot in the door with tech support or an internship. I worked in finance for a few years before switching to IT, just got some entry level certs and I got a job.
>>
>>1584044
What's the point of trying when you know you're going to get rejected? It would be a waste of time more than anything else. It's not a matter of luck, there literally are too many applicants, all of whom have priority while I don't.

What are the certs you took? What are the languages/OSes you think make someone more attractive to employers? I'm not looking for a prestigious exec position, just a stable job.

I just looked as some job offers on indeed, most if not all of them require years of experience in the field. I don't get it.
>>
>>1584058
>I just looked as some job offers on indeed, most if not all of them require years of experience in the field. I don't get it.
Keep in mind that when you look at job postings, it's just a wish list from the hiring manager. They WANT to get someone with a degree and 10 years of experience. But they will settle for someone with less. Don't get stuck in the habit of not even applying because you don't think you'll make the cut.

To pick the right language/OS/certs for you, start by going through job postings. Grab a notebook and keep track of every position and how many times a requirement comes up. Browse tech support roles and make a tally every time you see Linux, or Server 2008, or A+. After you've looked through a few dozen postings, you'll have a good idea of what skills are in demand.

Be warned, this will take actual EFFORT to accomplish, so you may not be suited to it.
>>
>>1584107
Oh, okay. So applying to jobs I'm supposedly underqualified for isn't necessarily useless?

When it comes to languages, do I need some kind of portfolio of projects like a github, or are certs/MOOCs enough?
>>
Would a guy with skills in SQL, networking and some system administration (Unix) be able to get a job in the field?
Database and network admin are senior positions, right?
>>
>>1583988
>Is it possible to get a low-level (codemonkey) job in IT/CS, maybe as an expat, without a degree?
Yes but you will have a hard time advancing past entry level positions without one.

>I heard about MOOCs and certifications like CCNA, are they valuable?
If you have experience to back up the certs then they are valuable. If I see a kid's resume and he says he has a CCNA but no actual networking experience then that's pretty scary to me. People who think they know what they've doing when they really don't are the most dangerous people to let touch your network.
>>
>>1584235
Even if you had a formal education a project portfolio would be helpful. Considering that you don't have education or prior work experience such a portfolio is a necessity.
>>
>>1584509
>Would a guy with skills in SQL, networking and some system administration (Unix) be able to get a job in the field?
Yes.

>Database and network admin are senior positions, right?
No.
>>
OP here, ID probably changed
>>1584559
I don't mind that, what entry level positions are you thinking of?
>If you have experience
Acquiring experience without a degree in the field is pretty tricky, isn't it? Are you counting internships?
>>1584573
How do you build a decent project portfolio?
>>
>>1584630
I'm speaking from an IT perspective not a CS perspective.
>what entry level positions are you thinking of?
Desktop support
>Acquiring experience without a degree in the field is pretty tricky, isn't it?
And yet everyone who has a job has managed to do it. A degree isn't experience.
>Are you counting internships?
Yes
>>
>>1584630

Self-employed programmer-fag here.

Create some personal projects; even do some charity work. Create a portfolio for yourself and brag about your skills. Reply to computer gig ads every single day. Rinse and repeat until you have something worth showing off.

Should take you less than a year and you will actually make money doing it.

I had a portfolio site that wasn't even mobile friendly for a year and still got clients left and right
>>
pourquoi t'es allé en "business" (eco/finance?) à la fac si tout le monde sait que si tu vas pas en prépa ou en grande école ça débouche à rien ?
>>
>>1584671

Anglais seulement sur ce forum
>>
>>1584646
Well then I'll look out for internships.
>>1584663
I see. Small-time web development stuff for example?
How did you manage to become self-employed? What's your background?
>>1584671
Economics
I didn't have high enough grades for a decent prépa or post-bac école. I'm not in a bad university but I guess you're right. That's why I'm looking for something else.
>>
>>1584687

Yep, that should be enough to get your foot in the door at some small development firms which you will find actually pay alright.

I've been doing web dev stuff since i was very young eventually i got a little more serious about it. I don't have a degree or a highschool diploma.
>>
>>1583988
I would like to know how to find a codemonkey job even with a degree, no one wants me because no work experience idk what to do
>>
>>1585280
Internships, as mentioned earlier, seem to be enough.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.