[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a scientist with an idea for a new concept that could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: brexit boom.jpg (122KB, 770x869px) Image search: [Google]
brexit boom.jpg
122KB, 770x869px
I'm a scientist with an idea for a new concept that could potentially revolutionalise an aspect of everyday technology.

I lack the resources to investigate said idea without the assistance of a university or research lab (such an investigation requires the use of equipment that costs millions).

How can I do my research without the institution getting the rights to it? I know that as soon as I disclose the nature of the work, I lose the rights to patent it unless I can get people to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Pic unrelated.
>>
either come up with your own resources or be willing to give up something to get them. nobody giving you shit for free boy. dont want to give up rights? tough shit guess your idea will just remain an idea.
>>
>>1582179
Fair point. I'll have a chat to my uni's patent lawyer then.
>>
>>1582177
>How can I do my research without the institution getting the rights to it?
You don't. You share the rights with the university. Usually 50-50.

At my Alma Mater they introduced a new policy where after I think 5 years, students could buy back the rights to any copyrighted or patented material they share with the University.

Get a boilerplate NDA written up and start meeting with as many people who have the facilities you can.
>>
>>1582177
Whats the aspect of everyday technology?
>>
>>1582295
"It's a green LED to indicate that your webcam is on!"
>>
>>1582177
>I know that as soon as I disclose the nature of the work, I lose the rights to patent it unless I can get people to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

i've worked with people in VC before. there are few things they all agreed on. one was that having to sign an NDA beforehand was usually a dead givaway that the project was not worth investing in.

ideas a worthless. everyone and their mother has brilliant ideas. what counts is the execution. if you have an idea and someone else can implement it better than you - your company is doomed anyway. the best investments are where people are upfront about their ideas because they know they're the only people who can do them properly due to their unique team, skills, experience, connections, etc.
by requiring NDAs you're heavily signalling that you have no confidence whatsoever in your team and your ability to pull through. you're admitting that your idea is not unique and may be copied easily by everyone.

besides, very few people are going to hand you money without a working prototype and a roll-out concept. and the words "investigate the idea" are terrible, it means you don't even know whether anything will come from it at all. that's not a business idea, that's fundamental research.
>>
>>1582177
just let them steal it and sue them for millions later
>>
claim you are trying to research one thing then research another
>>
>>1582177
>>1582207

Just use your universities' resources. Say you have an idea that could generate 10 million / year. You're worried about getting 5 million /year vs 10 million. But you should be worried about getting 0 dollars a year. Doing on your own will delay bringing the idea to market, and someone else could possibly beat you to market with a similar idea or your idea may become obsolete.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.