[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain how mutual and index funds work? So I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: WarrenBuffett.jpg (47KB, 960x671px) Image search: [Google]
WarrenBuffett.jpg
47KB, 960x671px
Can someone explain how mutual and index funds work? So I just give my money to a bank and they will invest it in whatever stocks they want then pay me the profits? This sounds too good to be true to me. Do they have a chance of losing it? Can I take all my investment back whenever I want? How much profit is realistic, in percentage?

Also, do you think it's better to invest your money in mutual funds and play safe or start businesses and risk losing money in them? The vast majority of businesses fail and a lot more people are on the business train now so the markets are oversaturated really and there's much more competition.
>>
>>1574929
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/indexfund.asp

An index fund is a type of mutual fund with a portfolio constructed to match or track the components of a market index, such as the Standard & Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500). An index mutual fund is said to provide broad market exposure, low operating expenses and low portfolio turnover. These funds adhere to specific rules or standards (e.g. efficient tax management or reducing tracking errors) that stay in place no matter the state of the markets.

BREAKING DOWN 'Index Fund'
"Indexing" is a passive form of fund management that has been successful in outperforming most actively managed mutual funds. While the most popular index funds track the S&P 500, a number of other indexes, including the Russell 2000 (small companies), the DJ Wilshire 5000 (total stock market), the MSCI EAFE (foreign stocks in Europe, Australasia, Far East) and the Barclays Capital Aggregate Bond Index (total bond market) are widely used for index funds.

Index Funds vs. Actively Managed Funds
Investing in an index fund is a form of passive investing. The primary advantage to such a strategy is the lower management expense ratio on an index fund. Also, a majority of mutual funds fail to beat broad indexes, such as the S&P 500. Index funds are generally considered ideal core portfolio holdings for retirement accounts, such as individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and 401(k) accounts.
>>
>>1574929
Index funds are bundles of stocks of a market index. A market index is a section of the stock market - anything from the S&P 500 to music companies - sold together. You own the fund, not the fund seller. The fund seller acts as the broker.

It's so cheap because unlike a hedge fund which needs to hire teams of very expensive financial experts to pick stocks 24/7, an index just takes the most popular stocks, for example the largest 25 insurance companies - and sells them.

The performance of indexes varies but you can expect 7%. These things have a very small chance of going bust since they buy stocks from many blue chips.
>>
>>1575203
Can you answer all the questions in the OP?
>>
>>1575203
You should not expect 7%
>>
>>1575327
https://ycharts.com/indices/%5ESPXTR/ytd_return

you're right he should expect 15%
>>
>>1574929
No
No
It's not
Yes
Yes
It varies too much to give a number. Sp500 funds are up about 5.5 percent ytd
>>
>>1575320
Yes, you can sell them whenever you want. They function like stocks.

It's much better to invest in index funds. You can start a business when you have a lot of captial. If you're just looking into making money you can try investing.
>>
>>1577484
Thanks.

Can you recommend books where I can learn all about finance, business, economics, etc so I don't have to keep asking beginner questions like in the OP?

Thanks again.
>>
>>1575327
right
>>1575361
>15%
oh boy you have no idea

3-4 longterm - quote me on this in 10 15 20 years
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80KB, 413x395px
>>1577524

>being this salty because you can't beat an index fund's returns with an actively traded portfolio
>>
File: I say.jpg (41KB, 634x498px) Image search: [Google]
I say.jpg
41KB, 634x498px
>>1577524
>>1577633

https://www.ft.com/content/4cdf2f88-7695-11e6-b60a-de4532d5ea35
>>
File: bizlit3.jpg (2MB, 2845x1682px) Image search: [Google]
bizlit3.jpg
2MB, 2845x1682px
>>1577498
>>
>>1577498
Investopedia for basic terms like net income and leverage. Security Analysis and Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Don't take my word for it, Buffett recommends these books highly.
>>
To those saying index funds suck - what are your alternatives? Gamble on an efficient market or really believe you are smarter than the elite wall street traders?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.