[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like I've always faked my way to higher positions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 1467598151106.jpg (833KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1467598151106.jpg
833KB, 1024x768px
I feel like I've always faked my way to higher positions. I get into jobs I'm not qualified for where there's people who would probably do a better job, learn the job, get good at it, become one of the best, quit, and move up into a higher position that's out of my reach. Rinse and repeat. I honestly don't know how I even got to where I am. Anyone else?

It seems like being successful is just a matter of faking it til you make it, and being at least slightly charismatic.
>>
Its true although there is definitely skill involved in moving yourself up the hierarchy.
>>
>>1571268
What do you do?
>>
>>1571268
Well, since you adapt so well, obviously you're qualified.
>>
>>1571268
>It seems like being successful is just a matter of faking it til you make it

Correct.
>>
its hard to fake jobs like i would get REK'd if i faked a job at computer programming and i dont know programming.. Maybe for managerial jobs, but not actual skill-based jobs
>>
>>1571341
yeah you know, we're talking about higher positions here. Being someone that actual works is not a higher position.

But OP you're right, its all about faking it. I did when i entered the competition an i was shocked about how fucked up this system is in general. Thought i would find some more professionalism but idc.
>>
>>1571341

its because op is probably a "professional manager" or some other breed of corporate parasite
>>
>>1571287
VP of sales and I'm on track to becoming the CEO of the record company I work for. I'm starting a nonprofit fairly soon as well.
>>
>>1571341
Computer programing isn't a skill I've learned. That's definitely not a job I could fake.
>>
>>1571341
Nope, I've worked with lots of people who couldn't program yet were employed as software engineers/architects. The trick is finding an organization that sets the bar so low that constant failure is not only toletated but rewarded. I can e-mail you a list of employers where this is the case if you're interested.
>>
>>1571268
Yeah I've been doing that all my life lol. I'm a fast learner so I just need to put in the effort and I catch on pretty quick. When I was in college I used to buss tables and one day we were short a server... volunteered and a little while later I was running the show, not hard. I just got a job doing tech support for an IT company and I have no degree or experience, should be fun lol
>>
>>1571722
Congratulations on the job. How'd you get into IT?
>>
>>1571268

That's business for you, it's all about lying and scamming, and charisma, not merit. Though if you haven't been instantly fired then I'm sure you must have a bit of talent OP, good for you either way, and don't be afraid to keep exploiting everything, that's how you become CEO.
>>
ITT:

>implying this is even true
>implying you are giving advice how to do in the corporate world when in reality it's the opposite
>>
>>1571268
It's perfectly normal, op.

It's called "Impostor syndrome"
>>
>>1571268
The problem is with the media, as per usual. The thing is we all hang our hats on heroes that Disney made, or these 1 in a million geniuses like Einstein (Aka, d.j. one cup).

The vast vast majority of people are similar to you in intellect or below you. Most people who are big shots are actually of sub par mental ability, and are too dumb to realize they are dumb. But that means they aren't afraid of being dumb, not afraid to dream big and go for it.

As a programmer it's astounding how many tech startups are made by mediocre programmers, and how many programs are shit on the inside, but as long as the product works, who cares?

Microsoft Word once had one of the largest memory leaks in the history of released programs, but no one gave a shit. Once it ate all their resources, the customer would just restart their computer and start over.

Just go for it, everyone is secretly dumb and think that you must be the genius, turns out faking it IS making it, because you end up doing the thing you think you're faking.
>>
>>1574116
That's pretty deep and all but once you're seriously ill go if you will to a doctor with that ambition.
>>
hold on
>>
>>1571695
if you're still there, [email protected]
>>
>>1574154
Nice English. Wtf are you even saying?
>>
>>1574116
you're not as smart as you think you are, and it shows.
>>
>>1574246
Alright, Aristotle, tell me how you got my Iq scores from this Taiwanese Christian Fap Chat board.
>>
>>1571268
I was studying languages for becoming a TEACHER. I've been a software engineer for almost TEN years. I faked my way to web development and got to teach to colleagues at the end for 5 years, then faked my way through database engineering for over a year and then switched to software engineering for 3 years, then through mobile software engineering and now I've been doing my own business for a few years. Doing all of the mentioned things, project management, etc. I can say I'm pretty fucking good at my job, but it ALL happened because I said "I know how to do this, then thought OMFG no I don't, took shit tons of amphetamines, learned ALL THE THINGS stressed the fuck out, got to do the job, aced it for some reason." Rinse & repeat. Yes computers always were a passion since I was a kid but still I never went to any college, university, etc but still earn probably earn more than a Silicon Valley wannabe. From home, high as fuck, while rocking my pyjamas.
>>
>>1574116
this helped. thank you.
>>
>>1574643
So much this wow this this this
>>
Once, I faked restaurant experience to get a part time restaurant job as a waiter.

It's a menial job anyone can do, right?

No. I'm an autistic, stuttering, clumsy, resting-bitch-face.png, depressed retard that lacks common sense.

But it might work in some other cases though...
>>
>>1574746
That's the exact thing I could fake though, faking public relation skills is impossible. At least, I don't believe I would be able to. That must have been quite the experience! hahaha
>>
>>1574819
I can remember a couple of interesting events:
>Me going back and forth multiple times to pick up dirty plates instead of doing it in one go
>Can only carry 2 full glasses at a time
>To avoid the above I was given a tray which i just left on the customers table. I was supposed to give their drinks individually and keep the tray.
>Threw away some trash but didn't tie the bag and some foxes smelled it and made a mess
>Would not take any disrespect from a manager; apparently waiters are expected to deal with that shit
>Customers: "Byeeeeeee, Thank you very muuuuuuch"
>Me: "No problem" (I have a deep voice and an accent).

Apparently I was meant to say "Thank youuuuu, have a good niiiiight!" in a high pitched 'friendly' voice. There is no way I could correct my lack of common sense in 3 trials...
>>
>>1574846
Wow sounds like shit! I really see myself in this story, man that must have sucked!
>>
>>1574746
You've just gotta keep trying. Try different things. Not everyone is charming, but not every job requires charm. Some you need strength, some you need to be able to Google answers. It's all about picking a job that works for you, and you can pick up relatively easily.
>>
> new immigrant to Canada
>Business degree with a bachelor's in finance and Accounting
>4 years of experience in life insurance underwriting
>Applied to hundreds of positions
>Finally one call but the interview didn't go well coz i couldn't fake experience in medical underwriting
>Got back to home country
> Still applying to positions sometimes faking things but not working
>Planning on landing in Toronto in few months
>>
>>1571695
[email protected]

I'm interested too

Any other tips for faking it?
>>
>>1572517
I started learning coding on my own while working in finance, realized I liked it and realized I could make way more money in IT. I quit my job and started studying full time, got an entry level certification, and applied for jobs. Got the first one I interviewed for.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.