[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I own a shop and the building it's in(3 units, my shop's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1446022518176.jpg (125KB, 462x579px) Image search: [Google]
1446022518176.jpg
125KB, 462x579px
I own a shop and the building it's in(3 units, my shop's being the largest) and I do brisk business. I require more parking than my lot can provide, but for years the lot next to mine has sufficed because the store the lot belongs to didn't need more than a few spots at any given time and the owners didn't give two shits about my customers parking there.
But 3 months ago that store and lot were sold and the new owners put up a fence to keep my customers from parking there. Now they're even towing cars of people that park there and walk all the way around to get to other stores. That store still only needs a few spots at a time but they're just total assholes about the other 20+ spots.
It's eating into my business and forcing away customers. If I was only leasing the store I wouldn't mind just moving THAT MUCH, but I own the building so it's more complicated than that. If I sell the building to move my shop then I lose additional revenue from the other 2 businesses that currently pay me rent. But if I keep the building and rent out what's currently my shop I won't make enough to cover rent at a new location since the number of parking spots is now so limited. And if I do move my shop it needs to be to a better location, not just a different one, so If I sell the building I probably wouldn't be able to afford to buy another building in a better location without taking out a sizable loan.
What would you do?
>>
Buy (ok, contribute to some city council members campaign fund) to get the city to open up more on street parking in your area.
>>
>>1569595
The roads are already too narrow.
>>
>>1568653
Start a second business at a larger location? Promote the guy below you to store manager and start a new business that wont strangle you. Or hand some money to the guys with the parking lot and beg them to shut the fuck up. Explain to them how you being there promotes their business by bringing customers around their area.
>>
sell the entire building and start a new venture somewhere else
>>
>>1570129
>Start a second business at a larger location?
I would just be cannibalizing my first location and never making proper use of the second. It's card game/tabletop gaming shop and people come from a wide area to shop and game here. A second location wouldn't add business, it would just split it between locations.
>Promote the guy below you to store manager and start a new business that wont strangle you.
Not a good choice at the moment. The girl I had as assistant manager for several years(who was great) just left for a better job(she got a degree in 2015 but stuck around until she got a good job in her field). I basically have no assistant manager right now because none of my other employees are willing or able to fill the role.
>Or hand some money to the guys with the parking lot and beg them to shut the fuck up. Explain to them how you being there promotes their business by bringing customers around their area.
Believe me, I tried. They're unreasonable assholes.
>>1570133
If I sell the whole building I'll lose revenue streams, and if I buy a shop in a better location I probably won't be able to buy a building with additional units. I bought my current building in 2009 when it was super cheap after the crash and the owner needed cash fast.
So let's say I sell the building, lose 2 additional revenue streams, but buy a store in a better location(like closer to the big college nearby). Even if my business increases because of the better location, there's pretty much no chance of it matching the income I'm losing every month without those 2 units.
Right now my margins are relatively thin at my shop. I'm personally netting about $3,000 a month after all expenses are paid. But I'm getting a combined $4,750 in rent every month from the other 2 units. So business at the hypothetical new shop would have to skyrocket, and that just isn't at all likely.
>>
>>1568653

Ask the new owner if you can renthalf their parking space
>>
Rule of life and business

I had a friend build a house on some land a few miles away from the city. He had the option of buying all of the surrounding land for cheap, but declined, because he thought it would be a waste. Sure enough, a developer bought the land and now his perfect house in the woods is the center of a trailer park

Always own the area around your business. You should have bought that building when it was available.

Your best option now is to either offer to buy the building or try to rent out the space, like this guy suggested.>>1570996
>>
>>1571008
>You should have bought that building when it was available.
Couldn't afford it. I was only able to buy the building I've got because of an inheritance.
>>
>>1571019

Can you afford not owning it now?

How much do you estimate you're losing from not having that parking lot now?
>>
>>1571024
Doesn't matter since I also can't afford a time machine.
>>
>>1570996
this.

your customers using their lot constitutes adverse use, they legally shouldn't be allowing it. If you work out a lease agreement with them it turns into permissive use, which is fine.

Parking areas aren't public spaces, you know this. It's theirs to do with as they like, so make it worth their while to let you use it.
>>
Buy another place for you business and continue renting the units you have as an additional revenue stream.
>>
>>1571377
Learn2Read
I would have to sell my current building to afford a new one.
>>
>>1568653
rent more lot space ya dingus
>>
File: mfw i'll fucking kill you.gif (770KB, 500x257px) Image search: [Google]
mfw i'll fucking kill you.gif
770KB, 500x257px
>>1571734
>>
>>1571377
Then you are not that good of a businessman if you don't have enough savings to afford a loan down payment.

Why ask for help if you are just going to be a whiney faggot?
>>
>>1568653
coase says pay them for use of their spots ya goober
>>
>>1572471
Nice quote job, faggot.
I own by business and the building outright. I don't clear enough to take on a massive loan. When I bought my building it was during the crash. That's not how things are any more. Even if I just bought one of the single-unit stores with suitable parking available in the area it would cost $450,000-$600,000. If I sunk all of my savings(~$115,000) into it and took out a loan for the rest, my income would be reduced by 1/3. It doesn't make any sense.
>>1572477
Don't just read half of the OP and shitpost.
>>
>>1572538
I read it twice before posting and it seems like you are too chickenshit to talk to the neighboring business and work out a deal
>>
Why can't you just ruin his business so he's forced to move or rent you half of his lot?
From what you wrote it seems like he's a huge asshole and would deserve it.
>>
>>1572545
And you're basing this on what exactly?
Go fuck yourself.
>>1572561
They absolutely would deserve it, the dirty Russian fucks, but how exactly would I go about ruining their business without getting into some sort of trouble or causing reprisal?
>>
>>1572603
ruin their business by framing them for your own murder (but really just commit suicide)
>>
File: mfw laughing deadman.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
mfw laughing deadman.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>1572614
>>
>>1572626
ecks dee
>>
>>1572603
There was a folder on megaupload in 2010/2011 called "information library" or something similar, which was basically a compilation of info thread pics from /b/ plus some other stuff.
It had a few books on specifically that.

Give me a few hours and I'll have access to the computer I have it on and I'll upload what I have.
>>
>>1572633
Cool. Thanks, bro.
>>
>>1572635
Here you go:
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/cagUR4F3/file.html

This is what I found in my folders, but you'll probably find more here:
https://murdercube.com/
https://thepiratebay.org/user/Weapons/
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6418641/Information_Library_(Complete)

You could also look for books by George Hayduke (there are a few in the folder, but he wrote many more).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hayduke_(author).

The password to extract the files is your ID.

Obviously we're all playing pretend here, so neither you or I are going to actually use this information to commit crimes, and we're just roleplaying because it's exciting and makes us feel like we're in a movie.
>>
>>1568653

I don't know what you sell but I'd start focusing on online retail and focus on shipping.

I'm assuming you don't have the dosh or political leverage for a swift parking garage.

about you renting out your place not being worth it:

if you rent out your tiny unfavourable place, of course it's not gonna make you enough money to pay the rent in a newer, better place.

however, if you are in a new and better place, and if your product really is hot shit, then you should well be able to compensate the difference with the new profit pouring in from accomodating more customers.

if you can't rack up those numbers, then your business is currently only profitable by the grace of god, which is apparently waning. It might be time to restructure your business or completely reconsider the venture while looking at the future of the enterprise.
>>
>>1570989
It seems that you've thought this through pretty well. Can you survive on the existing revenue stream post-parking lot? If not, you'll have to move. If it's a private lot, there's fuckall you can do about it.
>>
>>1572885
kek
30 replies deep and we're already suggesting illegal shit
>>
>>1572633
bu mp
>>
File: Stepan_Blois.jpg (119KB, 284x448px) Image search: [Google]
Stepan_Blois.jpg
119KB, 284x448px
>>1572538
If property prices are high, rent is always higher. You should be able to offset your new property note by the rent. Or you would, if you weren't a completely hopeless retard.
>>
>>1572885
Thanks. I'll look over these in a bit.
>Obviously we're all playing pretend here, so neither you or I are going to actually use this information to commit crimes
Of course.
>>1572901
Online sales are a fairly sizable chunk of my business(probably around 20%) but as I said earlier, moving to a better location very likely wouldn't net me much more business since people come to my current location from all over. I'm the only good card/tabletop gaming store in the area.
>>1572936
I can SURVIVE, but I'm already losing business and it can only get worse.
This business is kind of my identity. I pride myself on being the best shop for hours around. I really NEED to stop the bleeding.
>>1572987
The fuck are you doing?
>>1573032
Wow. Such valuable insight. Thank you so much.
If I rent out what's currently my shop I might only get $2500 a month for it since the parking situation is not fucked. If I rent out a different location with a much larger parking lot it will run me at least $4,500 a month, but more likely $5,000 or more. So then instead of making $3,000 a month from the shop I'm making next to nothing. And there's also the costs of moving the business and making changes to the new location.
If I sink all of my savings into buying a new place and take out a loan(to avoid selling my building) I would be paying less every month, but still making WAY less every month on top of wiping out my savings, which took me 4 years to accumulate and would take much longer to recoup with the loan payments draining me every month.

The only way you can make the case that this is my own doing is if you assert that I should have known the laundry mat next door would be sold to complete fucking cunts that don't value free money for parking spaces they never use AND that I should have made money I don't have magically appear so that I could have bought said laundry mat myself to preserve my parking situation. Stop being a fucking retard.
>>
>>1573096
*since the parking situation is NOW fucked
Goddammit.
>>
>>1573096
Perhaps you should quit acting like a fucking nig nog and stop thinking you are fucking entitled to space that isn't yours.
>>
>>1573112
>offered to pay
>entitled
Isn't it past your bedtime? Why hasn't your mom tucked you in yet?
>>
>>1572885
>>1572941
Grow up.
>>
How many spaces do you actually have?

How far away is on-street parking?
>>
>>1573120
Are you entitled to them accepting your offer? No, then nothing personal kid, but kys.
>>
>>1573748
I have 12 spaces dedicated to my shop, and the other 2 units have 8 between them.
The closest on-street parking is 2 streets over, about 1/4 mile from street parking to my shop because you have to walk a good ways down the street to get here.
The laundry mat next to me has almost 50 spaces and the only time they use more than 6 or 7 is at night when my shop is already closed.
>>1573824
Literally retarded. You can't even meme correctly.
>>
>>1573911
Can I see a map?? I believe you, just curious what it looks like from the air.
>>
>>1573911
Start looking for code violations at the laundromat and report them.

Either that or complain that it's a nuisance to zoning.

If you cannot squeeze them out with one than go to the other
>>
>>1573930
On Google it looks like you can just cut through an alley to get right to my shop from 2 streets over but you can't, so the air view isn't helpful. Just think of it like a big J. Or a big U if you have to park a ways from the corner.
>>1573933
>Start looking for code violations at the laundromat and report them.
That's probably going to be my best option to get rid of the current owners, but it will take a long time to get a result.
[spoiler]Although I guess I could sneak up on their roof one night and stick a long metal rod to their primary junction box and hope it gets hit by lightning and fried during the next storm...[/spoiler]
>>
>>1570989
Seems like you have three hold ups here:

>You don't want to close your business and collect rent
>you don't want to move your business
>you don't want to sell your building

All of those sound like personal issues. The alternative is do nothing or get creative with the assholes next door.

The one thing I would add is that you should consider the opportunity cost of the rent you are foregoing by staying open. If you're taking home 3000$ a month from your business, and you COULD be taking home 2000$ by just renting the space, your business is really only making 1000$ a month.
>>
>laundromat
>Russians

Yeah, good luck with fucking with the mob
>>
>>1574043
>All of those sound like personal issues
They're financial issues, with clear downsides.
>The one thing I would add is that you should consider the opportunity cost of the rent you are foregoing by staying open. If you're taking home 3000$ a month from your business, and you COULD be taking home 2000$ by just renting the space, your business is really only making 1000$ a month.
That makes zero sense. That's not how math or business works.
>>
>>1574082
No, the financial event already happened. New neighbors moved in and restricted your free parking. Tough break. How you respond (or don't) is entirely a matter of how well you grasp your options and any preference between them.

Obviously, you have a personal stake in things staying the same because it's your gaming location where you an play AND make your living.

However, I'd really suggest you go look up "opportunity cost", because if you're not getting that concept, you really should.

Going off what you said, you've got a piece of commercial real estate you bought in 2009 that you straight up own, 2 renters you are getting $4750 from, and a business you operate out of the 3rd for a $3000 profit.

Option 1: you sell the building, close the business. You lose $7750 in monthly revenue, but should make off with mid-6 figures. Have you had your property appraised? You should be able to turn around and re-invest that money in to a building that generates as much revenue.

Option 2: You close your business and rent out your current space. Depending on what you can get for rent, you're making $4750 + what the new renter pays.

Option 3: You move your business. Same as above, you rent out your current space and make all that income. You rent a new space from someone else. So long as the income from renting your current space + plus the business income from the new place - the rent of the new place meets your current income, you should be good.

Unless you're saying you bring in $4750 from your renters, but only take home $3000 because your game shop is bleeding money, in which case, why the fuck are you running a game shop at a loss and canibalizing your renters income?
>>
>>1574082
Jesus Christ take a basic business class.
>>
>>1568653
Are you sure there's nothing to be done about the layout of the parking lot?

I've seen a lot of configurations that could potentially have more spaces. Could I take a look?

The road is slim, but is it trafficked?
>>
File: Lot.png (27KB, 1000x807px) Image search: [Google]
Lot.png
27KB, 1000x807px
>>1574419
The lot is set up like pic related. There's not enough room to add spaces, and certainly not enough to add the number of spaces I need.
The road is busy and in an area where street parking just isn't feasible because the road is too narrow to accommodate 2 lanes and parking.
At this point it's looking like I have no choice but to rent out my current location and lease a new location. The only problem is that suitable options are few and far between.
>>
>>1574338
I vote for option 3 OP. Makes the most sense if you can find a place with better location/parking and costs less than what you would charge to rent out your old unit
>>
>>1574645

This is kinda shot in the dark, maybe look into zoning and municipal bylaws to see if they are allowed to block access. Maybe there is an existing easement?
>>
>>1574954
The lots are clearly defined, unfortunately. My land ends at the narrow alley between my building and a coffee shop(this alley is mine, but it's useless) and at the edge of my building where it meets the narrow alley separating me from the laundry mat(this alley is theirs).
>>1574830
Yeah, I'm looking at available locations online right now.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.