[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i dress appropriately in the banking industry? long story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

How do i dress appropriately in the banking industry?

long story short i finally managed to get an internship in the wealth management department of a large bank. since that field is very client orientated i need to look the part. can get 0 advice from family because nobody of them has experience with dressing formal

i own exactly 1 dark navy blue suit, 1 red tie and a white shirt which i wore to the interview. what suit colors and tie combinations are acceptable? whats a no-go?

example images are very welcome.

i tried looking at these mens style guides on youtube but most of these guys just come across as pretentious try hard unemployed asswipes.

i live in europe if that helps

picture is my dream suit of wolf of wallstreet but im guessing pinstripes shouldnt be worn by interns
>>
File: suits.jpg (244KB, 1200x818px) Image search: [Google]
suits.jpg
244KB, 1200x818px
>>1568389

Three suits at least (Black, Grey, Navy).

Pay close to attention the collar on the shirts you purchase and get yourself some solid colored slim ties.
>>
File: 4L_Huxn3CcZ.jpg (49KB, 575x515px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Huxn3CcZ.jpg
49KB, 575x515px
just watch this movie
>>
>>1568404
perfect, thank you. was looking for something like that

>>1568408
american psycho?
>>
>>1568442
yes, this will give you a sense of what to wear and how it should look
>>
>>1568442
What anon linked, but also consider asking /fa/ (take it with a grain of salt, though)
>>
>>1568389
Power red tie is good for the interview but don't try to outpower the customer. Get some blue, silver,grey, even yellow ties. If you aren't already gay, consider femme'ing up you speech a little.
>>
>>1568389

Not many people wear full suits anymore. Don't make the mistake I did and drop a few grand on suits cause you got your first office job.

Just get like 5 or 6 dress shirts and pairs of slacks. Have them all tailored! The fit is the important part!

As for suits just get like 1 or 2.

Joseph A Bank has insane deals. My 2 favorite suits are from them, and each one cost me like $350.
>>
>>1568389
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-goldman-sachs-elevator-guide-to-dressing-like-a-gentleman-2016-2

Take this with a grain of salt and ignore the shill affiliaite links. You should be fine
>>
https://bullshit.ist/how-to-dress-like-a-man-398e95771b5#.7gkrjymx6
>>
cheers guys thanks for all the help
>>
I would get a black suit (grey if you are ginger), at least 5 white fitted shirts and 9 more ties. Black shoes.

Tie colours to match your eyes, hair colour and personality.

Look clean and professional.
>>
>>1568635
>tie color to match your eyes and hair
ive got brown hair and brown eyes, what tie could possibly go with that
>>
>>1568709
Dont listen to that bullshit.
>>
>>1568713
then what do i listen to
>>
>>1568404
>Generally frowned upon in the USA

Fucking what?
>>
>>1568389
Su much shit in this thread. I dont think that any response here is from a real banker.
You wear:
- shirts only in white or blue. Or blue and white lines
- suits in shades of blue (with brown shoes and belt) or anthracite (with black shoes and belt) but never black
-you dont need hermes ties at the beginning but CK or Boss are cheap and good to go
-your suit should suit you. Shirt cuffs should be visible
>>
>>1568723
Black suits are considered formal attire strictly in the US. If you wear one to work you look out of place to your coworkers and/or clients.

>>1568728
OP wants answers from investment bankers, not retail bankers. Go back to the teller line kiddo.
>>
>>1568723
apparently only big shots like jamie dimon and blankfein wear black suits. the bigger your position the darker your suit, or atleast a lot of people claim that here.

but then again i live in europe so you tell me whats appropriate
>>
>>1568732
Oh and why do you think I am so?
I work in Corporate Acquisition Finance where I earn my 100k€ a year. Before that I did various M&A interships.
Also dont talk about investment bankers - here they dont even wear a tie sitting infront of a Bloomberg terminal.
You dont know what you are talking about.
>>
>>1568747
Protip for you roleplayer: M&A is within the IBD. So you stating, "here they don't even wear a tie sitting infront of a Bloomberg terminal" along with stating, "I work in Corporate Acquisition Finance" kind of lets us know that you're lying.
Either you work in M&A and don't wear suits so you have no reason to post here, or you don't work in M&A and still have no reason to post here. Why roleplay kid?
>>
>>1568728
>wearing cuffs
>intern
Pick one
>>
>>1568757
He's talking shit - probably role playing from /fa/ggotry.

Most finance professionals wear black suits in London. It gives presence and everyone looks good in one. Any colour goes with it. Pinstripes are rare. Navy blue, visible stitching, slim ties and short trousers that show socks are fashionable. A more classic look will stand the test of time.

Nobody gives a single fuck where you got your tie from. Pick the colours you want. Solid colours or subtle patterning with good quality material look good.

Try to look your best but nobody expects an intern to be wearing expensive suits and gold cuff links. Don't worry too much.

Work hard and build relationships. Take what you can from the experience. Good luck.
>>
Get a dark suit jacket, a tasteful pastel shirt, a tie is no longer necessary as open colour is often favoured but a tie should complement the shirt but not be too fussy, but if you're working in finance then you're going to also need to wear a pair of knee pads. Typically most places these days will prefer something with dark fabric and with a compact cushioning that is not overly bulky. You can get slim line knee pads for pretty cheap on Amazon but make sure that the outer material is sufficiently durable. Ultimately a good pair of knee pads will feel cushion your knees without pinching or limiting movement. You might also consider just looking into your line manager's office to check the flooring because this could influence the type of knee pads you choose. A laminated flooring would require a rubberised outer material to provide a great grip, however a carpeted flooring would allow you a little more flexibility in the material choice, so you are more likely to get a pair that complement your suit trousers in that case.
>>
>>1568945
Thinking again, you may not have the spare cash for a new suit. So stick with the navy blue, get a fresh white shirt and different tie for each day of the week. A decent belt, clean polished shoes and a haircut.

And kneepads, don't forget the kneepads. Tradesman quality and built to last. There will be many cocks for you to suck.

Joking aside, women will be throwing themselves at you. Enjoy.
>>
>>1568389
A suit made of banknotes and a tie of 24carat gold.
>>
>>1568723
In the US, black suits are only for funerals and FBI agents.
>>
>>1569529
so if im european wearing a black suit is no problem? i wont be laughing stock?
>>
>>1569781
I don't know, I'm an American. I don't pay attention to Europoor fashion trends.
>>
File: brooks-brothers-club-rules-004.jpg (149KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
brooks-brothers-club-rules-004.jpg
149KB, 1050x700px
>>1568389
The answer is "conservative business dress" (that's an actual term, google it if you want). So:

>Suits:
Blue or grey, in wool. Well-fitting but not too short or tight (that would be a fashion suit); beginners should favour solids instead of striped suits indeed. NEVER BUY A BLACK SUIT--but dark blue or dark grey are entirely appropriate of course.

>Shirts:
Only light colors, in cotton.

>Shoes:
Black oxfords (dark brown is possible but may be frowned upon in certain countries, especially the UK), in leather. DERBIES AND LOAFERS ARE NOT APPROPRIATE WITH A SUIT.

>Tie:
Any colour, in silk, with reasonable patterns.

>Pocket square:
Any germane colour (white is the safest), in linen.

>Belt:
Matching with your shoes' colour, in leather.

>Socks:
Matching your shoes' or trousers' colour, in wool or cotton.

>Watch:
Any dress watch with a leather band.

That's it. And the richer you are, the bolder you can get.

Good brands for conservative business dress are Brooks Brothers (the most conservative), Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali, Ralph Lauren, etc. but it can get somewhat expensive.

Also, get more than just 2 suits and 3 shirts, otherwise they will not last.

t. conservative business dress pro
>>
Just apply to investment banking in Russia and you can wear a track suit
>>
>>1568389

OP, please go see a tailor. There is nothing worse than a bad fitting suit. A cheap tailored suit looks 100 times better than an expensive suit off the rack that fits poorly.

Tailors will be happy to hlp you get setup.

3 suits as other havve said, and some fitted shirts and a selection of ties is all you need.

Spend some money, they will last you a very long time and are good value.
>>
Dont wear black suits, always get navy and grey suits
Get dark brown oxfords
Get lightly colored shirts
Go for thin silk ties, thin ties always look nice

For sizes you should actually go see a tailor and get something well fitting.
>>
>>1569781

Black suits = funerals. This is true in Europe as well as the US.

Seriously.
>>
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-wardrobe-men/

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/new-to-formal-fashion-start-here-pt1

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/wso-hall-of-fame-fashion-for-business-forum
>>
>>1569781
Google image search your employer and department. Dress like your new manager does.

To clarify, when i said black I'm not talking formal dinner jacket black. I probably meant to say dark charcoal. But the darker the better. A lighter blue or grey can look too casual IMO.
>>
>>1568389
Become Michael Burry and wear t shirts and shorts to the office like an alpha.
>>
>>1570192
But only if youre the boss
>>
>>1570257
What the fuck?
black ties are for funerals (Trauerkrawatte), black suits are fine for almost every formal stuff.
at least in germany, i sometimes have to travel to france, no differnce. don know about the anglos.
>>
>>1570192
Cheeki breeki.
>>
>>1570213
>tailor

It's only good if you have a lot of money (a good bespoke suit is generally in the vicinity of 3,000 euros) AND if you know what you're doing.

Otherwise you'll just end up with tacky, crappy made-to-measure suits.

Also, not all bespoke suits last a long time (it depends on the fabric), and not all ready-to-wear suits fit poorly. I'd rather wear a Canali suit than a suit made by a mediocre tailor.

>>1570355
>black suits
>formal

If it's really formal, then we're talking about things like a tuxedo--not a suit. Otherwise, for any event I can think of, a dark grey or dark blue suit is more appropriate than a black suit.
>>
>>1568389

the analysts at my office all wear Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. It's like $200 for a pack of 4 and they're not bad for the price. They fit a little slimmer than your measurements so you might want to go up a half size in the neck and arms. It sounds like you're in bongland or similar so you can get them too.

Navy suit is fine - get a charcoal one later. Get a few ties that aren't red. Have 2 pairs of shoes: one black and one brown and black/brown belts that match.

Buy a lot of socks and comfortable undershirts

Your goal right now is to have your work stick out, not the way you dress. Good luck bb & say goodbye to your life
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.