[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If a government has the power to create money, why does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

If a government has the power to create money, why does it still demand taxes?
>>
Because a bunch of jews fabricated this meme called economics, to keep them rich and poor people poor. It's a bunch of made up theories and bullshit.
>>
>>1566718
http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/brazilinfl.htm

This is basic shit, nigger
>>
>>1566718
Because just printing money and spending it would harm the private spending power of the people who hold vast sums of that money. In practice either the government brings in money by taxes on incomes or the government issues bonds and borrows back the money it issued from the wealthy private owners of it and promises to pay them back secured guaranteed interest on it.
The point of government is to protect the vested interests of the rich against the poor and to do that they need to control the money supply and make sure money stays scarce enough that the majority remain dependent upon money lenders.

>Wherever there is great property, there is great inequality. For one very rich man, there must be at least five hundred poor, and the affluence of the few supposes the indigence of the many. ... Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.
-- Adam Smith
>>
>>1566718
What gives the US dollar its value? It's no longer attached to the gold standard so only faith within the US's ability to repay its debts brings the USD any value. The US's ability to pay back it's Treasury debt (which has interest attached to it, normally) depends on a number of things, one of the most important being the income generated by the US government. This income is commonly known to the average person as "taxation."

Don't listen to people who say "It's to keep rich people rich and poor people poor." That is a poor man's mentality. No one man has caused any other man to be in a place of poverty for his own material gain, that does not create wealth for the more monetarily sound man. This line of thinking borders mild-psychosis and exhibits strong signs of (somewhat-high functioning) autism.
>>
The government has monopoly of note issue, but it cannot print believers and it cannot print prosperity. Printing is a slippery slope.

The former president of Brazil, Cardoso, said that inflation was so hard to fight because it had so many beneficiaries. Government employees of all calibres loved receiving freshly printed money. Even ordinary people wouldn't be so mad when pickpockets stole smaller denominations of currency from them, because everyone knew the money would be worthless in a matter of weeks anyhow.
>>
Check out the money masters on youtube. Basically explains the whole story. Could someone please link it. I've got to sleep it's almost 5am here.
>>
>>1566718
>live in time when gold standard is used
>those motherfuckers, they're devaluing my wealth by operating gold mines
>what's the little guy meant to do when the means of wealth production are owned by the gubmint and kikes
>literally digging up money, boo hoo hoo
>>
>>1566884
That video is more of an intro to nasty banking. It's full of garbage, but at least the part about the tally sticks is right.
>>
>>1566787
>, nigger
I bet a lot of people are going to listen to you
>>
File: 2.jpg (56KB, 770x350px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
56KB, 770x350px
>>1566868
>What gives the US dollar its value?
Whatever you can buy with it, that's all. The income the government generates doesn't have that much of an effect on the actual value of the dollar (the actual real fundamentals of an economy are more important), raising or lowering taxes has no effect on the governments ability to always payback its debts. The government doesn't tax because it needs income, it can always keep spending, it needs to take money out of circulation because it wants to control inflation.
>>
>>1566932
I don't think you belong on 4chan
>>
>>1566838
t. anarchist
>>
>>1566934
>The government doesn't tax because it needs income, it can always keep spending, it needs to take money out of circulation because it wants to control inflation

So you're implying that the government charges taxes to take money out circulation to control inflation? Meaning you think there's a direct control of inflation rates by altering taxation levels? Check out these two articles:
>https://www.quora.com/Do-the-changes-in-direct-or-indirect-taxes-affect-the-inflation-in-the-country-Why-or-why-not
>http://www.investopedia.com/university/macroeconomics/macroeconomics10.asp

In reference to another part of your post...
Roughly 80% of revenue for the federal government comes from individual income tax (the tax I'm assuming OP is referring to). About 6% of the federal government's budget goes towards interest payments on around $13T of debt (comes out to about $223B). To say that raising or lowering taxes has no effect on the governments ability to always payback its debts is a wrong statement.

Sources:
>http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/what-are-sources-revenue-federal-government-0
>http://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/policy-basics-where-do-our-federal-tax-dollars-go
>>
>>1566969
Taxation definitely has an effect on prices because it's decreasing someones spending power. Changes in tax levels changes what groups can afford to buy; lower taxes means more money circulating and that must have an effect on prices.
The government can always pay back with more debt (there's always a demand for government debt) or print money and face the potential inflationary consequences. If the government ever says it cannot actually pay out that's a blatant lie. They can always pay in something but they may not want to actually pay out for other ideological reasons.
Why does the government issue bonds when it can just print and spend money without creating debt in the process? It certainly wouldn't be any more inflationary. Someone wants to own that public debt as an asset to capitalize upon and governments exist first and foremost to service those bondholder interests and to secure their interests.
Income tax doesn't even need to exist to raise public revenues, you can get all the revenue you want from taxing capital gains, land values, or any type of passive income stream and having some type of expansionary monetary policy to finance industrial development but government exists first and foremost to secure the interests of those that live off interest payments.
>>
>>1566718
Inflation you dumb nigger.
>>
http://www.bocaratonlandscaping.org/ testing this pls don't rip me a new one
>>
>>1566718
Because printing money is the ultimate flat tax and the inflationary effects it causes make everyone else just as poor as if the government had taxed every unit of the currency in existence equally.

If there's one thing I know about government though it's that -everyone- hates flat taxes. It's far more agreeable to tax people you don't like and spare taxes from yourself and your friends.
>>
>>1567066
Progressive taxation shifts wealth from rich to poor. Poor people spend a higher % of their income on discretionary goods which boosts the economy and facilitates s a second round of taxation. It's a virtuous cycle.

If you lower taxes on the rich, they will just save and invest more money. They will minimise their tax rate. So there is little positive effect on the economy and little further taxation.

Arguing against taxation is essentially becoming a useful idiot for the 1%. Taxation is good for society.
>>
>>1567445
>>1567445
>>1567445
>>1567445
>>1567445
>>1567445
>>
>>1566932
fuck off back to led dit newfaggot
>>
>>1567445
>Says taxation is good for rich people
>says "Arguing against taxation is essentially becoming a useful idiot for the 1%. Taxation is good for society"

You googles make pol look decent

You know there is this thing called... the middle class yes pretty amazing...
>>
>>1566932
pls kys
>>
>>1566868
Thanks for correcting the record
>>
>>1567445
>le "rich don't spend their money" meme
The whole velocity of money concept is wrong, but it can be coherently argued by intelligent people to a point, but even assuming it were true where does this shitty meme about rich people not spending their money come from and why hasn't it died yet? The percentage of a person's wealth that's being put to material use approaches 100% as they get super wealthy.
>>
>>1567445
This is what millenials actually believe and it's why we're basically fucked. I bet you think Trump doesnt pay any taxes, too
>>
>>1567464
The middle class can only get middle class jobs via public education through taxation.

They travel to work on infrastructure funded by taxation.

They work in industries created by technological advances made possible by research. Funded and subsidised by taxation.

They live in relative peace and security thanks to police and armed forces funded by... ???

There is an advanced society outside of your libertard-autist (basement) universe.
>>
>>1567514
It's been studied and is true. Rich people don't get rich by spending their money.
>>
>>1567518
Trump's effective tax rate is lower than the average American's. Google it.
>>
>>1567528
>income tax
It's like you think he gets a salary like you do. What about all his payroll tax? What about all his corporate tax? Pls dont vote
>>
>>1566722
What did anon mean by this?
>>
>>1567528
Also, if you think the capital loss deduction should be eliminated, I hope you lose all your money one day
>>
>>1567445
>Investing money isn't spending it

I think you need to get off this board, anon.
>>
Bump out of interest.
>>
>>1566718
high inflation destabilizes prices and means businessess make less accurate decisions
>>
You guys are all wrong. Taxation is there for 3 reasons:
1. The most important one: To force people to use the government issued currency. Otherwise it could not print money as people would cease to use it.
2. To favor gov employees friends businesses with tax cuts and destroy their competition with selective enforcement of tax laws.
3. To manage the consumer behavior by inflicting higher taxes on selected groups of products and services.

But the first one is the most important. The rest is a bonus.
>>
Printing money = inflation
>>
>>1566932
7/10
Made me consider responding
>>
>>1566722
Le i don't understand so it must be the jews meme
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.